Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Knowledge Bank
7 July 2012, 10:37,
RE: The Knowledge Bank
Somebody just print out all of wikipedia, laminate it, bury it and call it a day Smile
7 July 2012, 11:49,
dunno about that tbph, wiki is often wrong, and is nowhere near a complete encylopedia and theres alot of primitive knowledge that is just lightly touched upon, theres very little indepth things on wikipedia.....not to say that storing a copy of wikipedia is a bad idea, it would help preserve cultural and historical things, and serve as a reminder of the old world, which in my opinion is invaluable, i dont think theres any other resource out there thats touches upon such a broad selection of subjects, objects, events and people...so while a copy of wiki should be included it is by no means the only thing needed
8 July 2012, 06:28,
I have a great deal of material on Microfiche and when I can afford it, I shall have more material added. You can read it with a pocket microscope that isn't illuminated by battery. I have many useful books on fiche, Boot and shoe making, Military manuals, Herbal and Homoeopathic medicine, some of Kurt Saxon's material, etc., etc.. Microfiche can be buried in a suitable container. You can have a small library in a very small space. Kenneth Eames.
8 July 2012, 11:38,
(8 July 2012, 06:28)Kenneth Eames Wrote: I have a great deal of material on Microfiche and when I can afford it, I shall have more material added. You can read it with a pocket microscope that isn't illuminated by battery. I have many useful books on fiche, Boot and shoe making, Military manuals, Herbal and Homoeopathic medicine, some of Kurt Saxon's material, etc., etc.. Microfiche can be buried in a suitable container. You can have a small library in a very small space. Kenneth Eames.

what a brilliant idea! thanks for pointing that out, i bet thats a very handy library Smile....i must admit ive always like that sort of thing, we have an old WW2 rosary with a cross, but if you look through the middle of the cross theres some microfilm with strategic locations and plans for buildings and things, its really very nice, and i think made of ivory Smile
8 July 2012, 18:34,
I've seen one of these too. It was in our family, I think my father brought it home from abroad. I don't know what happened to it. I must ask my sisters. All my brothers are dead. Kenneth Eames.
8 July 2012, 22:19,
(8 July 2012, 18:34)Kenneth Eames Wrote: I've seen one of these too. It was in our family, I think my father brought it home from abroad. I don't know what happened to it. I must ask my sisters. All my brothers are dead. Kenneth Eames.

they are such fascinating objects, we have all manner of wonderous items at our hosue, for instance we have a book that was printed within the lifetime of the man that invented book printing, the spine is made up of recycled hand written books Big Grin....its worth looking into, these pieces make for fabulous conversation pieces when having guests, not to mention the simple joy of having it!....i do hope you still have it Smile