Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Knowledge Bank
1 July 2012, 17:25,
RE: The Knowledge Bank
having things on book also has another use, if it really came own to it you can use books as fire. you cannot be kept warm by a kindle or laptop
1 July 2012, 17:47,
(1 July 2012, 17:25)James Jackson Wrote: having things on book also has another use, if it really came own to it you can use books as fire. you cannot be kept warm by a kindle or laptop

about the only use for the "Mills & Boon" type books i think! sacrilege for survival books though!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 July 2012, 23:24,
(1 July 2012, 07:25)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(30 June 2012, 18:37)Timelord Wrote: How many books do you need?? It's all just numbers with the gig stuff. All you need is a number of quality books & documentation. Why would anyone need 135000 books upwards on prepping. Big numbers but why?

Because information is power. Having that information available will mean our childrens children should not have to spend time experimenting and will get back up to speed quicker. We can find techniques in areas that we have not been involved in that will help us survive, grow and rebuild. Basic stuff to the experts but new to those entering the area.

Your'e not really going to try & store many encyclopedias worth of knowledge for future generations are you? Thats a massive project and I am sure the info will be stored elsewhere. We could just locate suitable archives PSHTF and boot them up if it really became that necessary. You can buy encyclopedias in digital format, so I suppose if you were to buy a lot of those and store them for future generations, then you should receive a halo. I for one, hope that a future society doesn't get back up to speed with all the techno info as soon a possible. I hope it takes time to reflect and build a different society next time - if at all.
1 July 2012, 23:27,
thier is another use for them type of books, wipe the ass with them, saves the soft toilet paper Wink
1 July 2012, 23:29,
That is romantically novel - but I like the idea.:-)
2 July 2012, 01:21,
the idea behind this is not to have lots of books on hand for you personall per se, but to have a big chunk of knowledge ready for the future, if there is some cataclysm and we revert to medieval levels of knowledge, wheres the progress? whereas if we save some of those amazing things that have occured in the last few hundred years then we'll only have to lose the last 10 years of academic progress, sure we wouldnt have fancy buildings and labs and all that but we could retain the knowledge to do so!....i think skean dhude gets what i mean

and yes im sure there are government "arks" about but how the buggery are they gonna be found, what if they dont survive? then what?...im talking about creating a public and freely available "ark" not just for us preppers but anyone who is interested....and after all who is most likely going to survive to start a new society? we, the preppers and survivalists, therefore if we have reasonably located "arks" cached near our BOL or at least somewhere we know, or even in our BOB's we wont have to trawl for years to find a government one, assuming there is indeed such a thing in existence

and as for sticks and the like, they'd still be useful, after all its not hard to create some energy and as long as a computer isnt on during a solar flare you shouldnt have a problem with it, therefore a basic homemade generator hooked up to a salvaged computer would easily suffice to read some of the contents of such a stick, not to mention how widespread different types of gadgets are becoming, you could easily make a very very simple program/computer that'll read memory sticks with ease!

also would you like to carry 3500 books? or a kindle?...which will be more space and weight efficient Tongue.....i will admit you cant use a kindle or some such to wipe your arse or to burn, but if its you only base of knowledge you wouldnt want to! not to mention that survival is a mainly mental exercise, if you lose heart and give up your dead, whereas a kindle with some books on can help you to keep your spirits up
2 July 2012, 07:11,
i dont think we will be able to have huge library's of books but will each keep the sort of books we are interested in, for some this will be communication type subjects, for me it will be animal husbandry and veg and fruit growing books + general survival & hunting, of which i have a lot already.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 July 2012, 07:21,
(2 July 2012, 07:11)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think we will be able to have huge library's of books but will each keep the sort of books we are interested in, for some this will be communication type subjects, for me it will be animal husbandry and veg and fruit growing books + general survival & hunting, of which i have a lot already.

thats kinda what i mean though, not necessarily all having a huge library each (although it would be what'd happen in an ideal world) but rather all contribute what we do have into the pot as it were, personally i'm trawling the net for all sorts of things mostly chemical synthesis and engines and electronics, but i do aim to cover alot of ground with it Smile...although having said that we do have our own library (well its more a room with books lining the walls, and we got like another 5 or so book shelves around the house, yeah we like our books xD)

mostly what im interested in is getting a list of good materials together which was most of the basis behind this thread, so what subject material and any specific books or authors that people know to be well written and fairly concise, if its been written chances are i can find a digital copy of it, and failing that i can touch type so it wouldnt take long to transcribe into digital format Smile
2 July 2012, 07:31,
(1 July 2012, 23:24)Timelord Wrote: Your'e not really going to try & store many encyclopedias worth of knowledge for future generations are you? Thats a massive project and I am sure the info will be stored elsewhere.
I'm going to store what I can on as many subjects I consider useful. You are right it is a huge project and I doubt I will complete it but I will do what I can. Work is ongoing now. Construction, power, farming, weapons, etc. I will do what I can.

As far as the info being stored elsewhere; that may be correct but it is no good to us if that elsewhere either controls, sells or limits access. It may even be lost and if that is our single egg.

Nope. As in everything I like to do what I can myself.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 11:16,
well i fully intend on having multiple copies, we have a few terabytes of clean discs in the house, 2x 2 terabyte external harddrives multiple usb's crazy amounts of books, plenty of pens n paper, not to mention i may host a website specifically for the task of having extra extra basckups...and also for people to upload their stuff for moderation and probable integration.

its my solemn belief that we simply cannot depend on the government for the preservation of knowledge, as unfortunate as it is its upto us to make our own efforts.

also once i get further on in my collection ill be happy to share what i've got with ya Smile