Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New guy checking in
3 July 2012, 21:11,
RE: New guy checking in
Hi to both of you
4 July 2012, 18:01,
Thanks for the welcome everybody i dont have a underground bunker deep in the woods but i do want to get started on a cache or 2 to be buried for the worst happening im talking about one with food survival tools a compact tent etc any hints or tips on what you would put in it ? also im looking for a container to store the gear in but not to big any ideas ?
4 July 2012, 20:35, (This post was last modified: 4 July 2012, 20:42 by James Jackson.)
hi, well the main things to put in (well i think anyway) are a meths stove, a wood stove and the mess tins, fire lighter, matches, lighter, kindleing, hatchet, 2 knives, first aid kit, water purifier tabs and straw. wool socks and wool jumper and some combat trousers in a sealed vacume bag. And some army rations,.... That way no matter where you have the stashes you have the basics to survive. one man tents and bivi's are great as you can put all the gear into one small rucksack and hide them.
you can look on http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php
they have some good gear that dont cost too much. I'm doing the same kind of things, and find army gear is best for hiding away for the long term
they have Tri-Laminate PVC Dry Sack Bag in the site, so that might help

5 July 2012, 06:11, (This post was last modified: 5 July 2012, 06:32 by Hrusai.)
@david thats definately a difficult question to answer, mainly because it has so many answers, it depends on experience knowledge, familiarity, personal preference, expected time to spend away from civilisation, and many other things.

personally i would say the ABSOLUTE minimum is a large amount of knowledge and a good knife between 6-10 inch blade, about 3/16 inch thick, FULL TANG...not a stupid hollow handle thing, or some crap with a compass in the hilt, the choice between stainless and high carbon is upto you, stainless is more moisture and rust resistant whereas high carbon keeps an edge longer and better (the debate between the 2 is ongoing and there is no definitive answer, its down to you to decide).........so as you can see just choosing a knife is hard, which is why i recommend learning as much as you can, and going out into the garden and practising!! reading how to make a fire bow is useless without trying it in real life, once you got some experience trying out these techniques with some different knives will help you find what you like best Smile....a cheap knife is easy to come by, there are enough things you can buy for under 50 quid that are good quality and myriad in design, i recommend heinnie.com myself

anyway james had some great points of things to put in Smile.....a good thing to remember is " one is none and two is one"...make sure you have more than 1 way of purifying water, making shelter, making fire and getting food. cover all your basic needs several times before trying to get things to make life nice, survival is first and foremost.
i dont think any of us have a bunker btw....yet Wink