Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of food to rise.
3 July 2012, 20:08,
RE: Cost of food to rise.
BP wrote "i dont know about anyone else but i have problems storing tins, not actually storing them but in truth under normal life we dont eat much food from tins, maybe a tin of corned beef or a can of beans but normally, living in the country, we can access FRESH food we dont actually NEED to eat tinned food, maybe some tinned fruit in the winter when we cant get fresh, OK so we store tinned food in case of TSHTF but under normal circumstances i dont need to replace them constantly as we dont use them up.after all tinned food is all processed food to some degree and processed food is not good for you, anyone see my problem??"

I have exactly the same problem! I eat very little tinned and processed food! I will keep mine well beyond the recommended use by date but will end up tipping stuff if it looks too dodgy ie likely to blow!

If food prices sky rocket I will definitely start eating some of it. Seems stupid not to!
3 July 2012, 20:43,
well stockpiled food is for emergencies, and if food prices rocketing does happen, that in my book is most definately an emergency Smile....also a good excuse to go hunting alot lol
3 July 2012, 22:08,
(3 July 2012, 20:43)Hrusai Wrote: well stockpiled food is for emergencies, and if food prices rocketing does happen, that in my book is most definately an emergency Smile....also a good excuse to go hunting alot lol

It's not even the basic difficulty of food going up in price, the hard pressed will become even more hard pressed and more desperate / dangerous.

One more thing on the ever growing list of events happening to make this a bit of a storm.
Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
3 July 2012, 22:10,
Times is getting harder, so we've just finished an inventory check.
Good job too, we found a major tilt coming up.
No tea bags and found 12 cans of VERY old beans.
Almost a disaster.

Quick shopping tip.
Aldi, 1kg rice, 49p. Cooks fast, Good Taste.

3 July 2012, 23:26,
(3 July 2012, 22:10)Paul Wrote: No tea bags

And you call yourself a prepper. Some things just can't happen and Brits without Tea is one of those.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 July 2012, 19:29,
(3 July 2012, 14:31)bigpaul Wrote:
(3 July 2012, 14:21)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Every can of food you put by now is a bonus. Buy while you can. Add some seeds as well for garden or 'secret garden', and for sprouting. If you have a Dehydrator keep that working, it doesn't have to be veggies from the supermarket shelves, you can dehydrate frozen veg as well. It reminds me of the war time, when there was a glut of some veg we dried it in the warmth of the kitchen. Kenneth Eames.
i dont know about anyone else but i have problems storing tins, not actually storing them but in truth under normal life we dont eat much food from tins, maybe a tin of corned beef or a can of beans but normally, living in the country, we can access FRESH food we dont actually NEED to eat tinned food, maybe some tinned fruit in the winter when we cant get fresh, OK so we store tinned food in case of TSHTF but under normal circumstances i dont need to replace them constantly as we dont use them up.after all tinned food is all processed food to some degree and processed food is not good for you, anyone see my problem??

On the subject of tined food anybody know what tined food will keep for a long time and what food has the longest use by dates i am going to bury some when i find a suitable location.
6 July 2012, 20:07,
The local grain and strawberry crops up here are rotting in the fields and the rape seed crop is squashed flat.

8 July 2012, 07:37,
(6 July 2012, 20:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: The local grain and strawberry crops up here are rotting in the fields and the rape seed crop is squashed flat.

Things are looking pretty bleak at the moment.

Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
8 July 2012, 09:37, (This post was last modified: 8 July 2012, 09:38 by NorthernRaider.)
(3 July 2012, 22:10)Paul Wrote: Times is getting harder, so we've just finished an inventory check.
Good job too, we found a major tilt coming up.
No tea bags and found 12 cans of VERY old beans.
Almost a disaster.

Quick shopping tip.
Aldi, 1kg rice, 49p. Cooks fast, Good Taste.

Us to, we have used up a fair old bit of our reserves, out of rice, low on flour, out of coffee whitener, down on a few cleaning agents, a bit down on tinned stuff, I reckon i need to spend about £150 to get back to a sensible level again, but at the mo i aint got £150.
(8 July 2012, 07:37)Morgan Wrote:
(6 July 2012, 20:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: The local grain and strawberry crops up here are rotting in the fields and the rape seed crop is squashed flat.

Things are looking pretty bleak at the moment.

Everyone from farmers, markets, traders, speculators and supermarkets are going to shaft us this autumn.

8 July 2012, 09:39,
More heavy rain means more rotting crops. Buy as much as you can afford now. Farmers in other countries whose crops are for export, will make a huge profit from other countries that have suffered the deluge. That means that we will be in for a huge rise in this country. If you have land, then grow. Kenneth Eames