Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Reliance Garden - A Practise in Learning Self Reliance
5 July 2012, 16:35,
Self Reliance Garden - A Practise in Learning Self Reliance
Ok so the point of this thread is going to be a journal of my efforts in creating my own garden to grow vegetables and other foodstuffs.

Earlier today I visited my dad's best friend's garden centre, its a beautiful little garden right next to a main road, but you wouldn't know it! Its almost silent except for the birds singing and the horses in the field next door. It really is an oasis of calm, its also unique in the fact that its a garden centre with an emphasis on garden, its laid out like a real garden, with beautiful plants and features everywhere, they serve tea and cakes, so you can just go there and sit in the sunshine whilst having afternoon tea, surrounded by some beautiful plants. And as I'm getting into survival and learning all these new skills I thought that growing food and medicinal plants would make for some valuable learning, so we asked the owner about the little part at the bottom of the garden if i could take it over and grow my own fruit and veg and she gave us the go ahead.

In the coming months I plan on digging it all out, weeding it, creating proper plots to plant my veg in and growing a diverse selection of plants, for food and for medicine, I shall be documenting the entire process start to finish, and trying to detail as much as I can about every decision, every process and everything I learn as I go. The aim is to create both a functional garden and a comprehensive how to guide for beginning as a complete novice to gardening and cultivation, and hopefully getting to the point where I am confident in what I do.

Along the way I shall also be making some small functional items to assist me in various tasks, things including a wooden framed yurt style shelter various wooden implements and anything else I think of along the way, chances are I will also film some videos of the smaller things I make that will be aimed at the absolute beginner

So Watch This Space, I shall be including lots of photographs from the very beginning.