Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connunications update following Polls:
9 July 2012, 11:34,
RE: Connunications update following Polls:
(9 July 2012, 11:15)Lightspeed Wrote: You are to hard on yourself NR.

We are sharing information here, that's all.

Not sure about that, in recent weeks ive had comments from some of my online friends that there are some pretty good preppers and people with valuable knowledge who use other UK forums and would comer here to share and post, but NOT if I'm here.

Another E mail I got only last night commented that they noticed that when ever i left a forum or more often got banned that far more other people started posting.

I also got one from another forum hoping my injuries would be fatal !!! I have that effect on some people !!!!! Smile

I dread the thought that its me holding back the scene in the UK, I'm still on the forums because I cannot do much else for now.

Right off to go home, wont be long.

9 July 2012, 13:10,
OK. Remember that the project was about long distance comms. Before we ignore what we have done so far and go down into short range we will finsih off where we are.

I see a further two stages leading from this decision;

1) We need to define the equipment. What do we need to buy to start setting up our long range comms. I'm looking for a complete package and as cheap as possible. If possible with options on each component to provide a better service but with the downside of more cost.

2) What do we need to define as protocols for use. We can set up some protocols for testing and then for long term use.

Then we can move on to kit recommendations and protocols for short distance comms.

Let's complete the primary objective before we go off at a tangent.

SD
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 July 2012, 13:46, (This post was last modified: 9 July 2012, 13:54 by Lightspeed.)
SD
<<1) We need to define the equipment. What do we need to buy to start setting up our long range comms. I'm looking for a complete package and as cheap as possible. If possible with options on each component to provide a better service but with the downside of more cost.

2) What do we need to define as protocols for use. We can set up some protocols for testing and then for long term use.>>

Answering your points separately.

1) Started a thread to list and discuss NVIS capable equipment

It will cover:

1. Transmitter & Receiver or Transceivers that cover 80m and 40m bands, with minimum of say 2 watts power output and capable of CW transmission. Ideally transceivers should have VFO ( Variable Frequency oscillator) controll this will allow the unit to be tuned to find quiet frequencies. Tranceivers that are Crysal controlled are effectively fixed frequency, and so are much less flexible.

2. A device called an BALUN or and UNUN that will assist in making simple antennas usable

3. A device called an Antenna Tuning Unit ( ATU) which will assist in making transmission possible on antennas that are not perfectly resonant to the transmitted frequency

4. An SWR meter that will function on 80m and 40m to work in conjunction with items 2 &3 displaying the degree to which the antenna is matched to the transmitter.

5. Wire for antennas

6. Insulators for antennas

7. Paracord / nylon rope to rig antennas

8. Coaxial cable (this will be 50ohm cable for almost all modern transmitters)

9. Appropriate coaxial plugs to mach the transmitter, BALUN, ATU, SWR Meter. Most likely PL259 type.

10. Possibly ladder line feed wire: 300 Ohm or 450 Ohm this stuff is very low loss when used correctly, but considerably more visible than standard black coaxial cable.

11. Power supply cables and connectors

12. Power supplies and charging systems, most likely 12v

2.) Protocols.
First stage will be to get operating licenses, in so getting, basic operating protocols will be taught.

After this live trials can begin and secondary protocols can be developed to deal withthe real life issues encountered.

Basic protocols like choosing a frequency will only be possible once the participants confirm which quiet frequencies exist in their areas. All too often agreed frequences are clear in one place but have huge s9 interference in others. Pre SHTF we will have to deal with this. Post shtf it will prob be grid down so we can expect mush less noise to deal with.

(9 July 2012, 13:10)Skean Dhude Wrote: OK. Remember that the project was about long distance comms. Before we ignore what we have done so far and go down into short range we will finsih off where we are.

I see a further two stages leading from this decision;

1) We need to define the equipment. What do we need to buy to start setting up our long range comms. I'm looking for a complete package and as cheap as possible. If possible with options on each component to provide a better service but with the downside of more cost.

2) What do we need to define as protocols for use. We can set up some protocols for testing and then for long term use.

Then we can move on to kit recommendations and protocols for short distance comms.

Let's complete the primary objective before we go off at a tangent.

SD

To anyone just starting to look at this thread, what SD has written kind of goes adgainstthe grain of controlling home turf first before venturing further afield

His thinking is in fact sound. There are so few declared radio systems among UK preppers taht in order to get any meaningful prepper radio comms in place, we need to chieve almost countrywide coverage.

Onne this is in place, and partly as a result of the discussions concerning implementation, it is hoped that the "buzz" will encourage more preppers to listen-in to the transmission trials as they progress and also to motivate more to set up their own stations, maybe using less complex shorter range systems such as CB and PMR etc.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 July 2012, 19:10,
Nr,

Missed your previous post. I'm sorry to hear that but some people think that way. Don't worry about it. You are always welcome here and if people don't want to contribute to the discussions that is up to them. They just won't get help for their specific requirements.

LS,

Thanks for that. I'll post the details to the main site and can't wait to see some specifications.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 July 2012, 19:43,
(9 July 2012, 10:13)Lightspeed Wrote: Good points NR, and largely I agree with you. But how many preppers are within 10 to 15 miles of you at the moment?.....and how are you going to find out? That's the probable max range you'll get with a fixed CB station and good antenna......

I'm chipping in here.
There is one prepper close to me and 9 other CB'ers.
All have useful skills, all within walking range (10 miles)

How were they found? By random calling on CH.19. Found one, he knew one so that's how I met him. Count is two. He knew one, had a chat, then it was 3. The rest joined in gradually as they scanned for users.
Total 10. I've met 3 face to face.
No calling plan was invoked, just "19 for a copy" and "breaker on the side".
Not even remotely complicated.

When my car burst a hose one of the CB'ers collected the new hose, delivered it, and helped me fit it. (I hadn't met him before, just chatted). That's now four face to face meetings. I have still to meet the prepper.

If I had called my old CB / freeband group they are 155 miles away.
Too far to help me HF frequencies or not. Local help was what I needed and what I got.

CB may not be powerful, no real range( unless you know what you are doing) yet for me potentially 9 sources of help and visa versa for them. Good enough for me.

Note:- 4 out of the 9 run mobiles in their car. 3 more have battery backups to 'their mobile working as a base station' set ups as mains round here is basically rubbish in winter as it the phone system. The other 2 run hand helds in tractors.

9 July 2012, 20:21,
By jove chaps and chappesses this subject is getting chuffingly interesting (the radio bit not my whinging)

10 July 2012, 20:05,
(9 July 2012, 19:43)Paul Wrote: [quote='Lightspeed' pid='18181' dateline='1341825214']

Good points NR, and largely I agree with you. But how many preppers are within 10 to 15 miles of you at the moment?.....and how are you going to find out? That's the probable max range you'll get with a fixed CB station and good antenna......

I'm chipping in here.

How were they found? By random calling on CH.19. Found one, he knew one so that's how I met him. Count is two. He knew one, had a chat, then it was 3. The rest joined in gradually as they scanned for users.

When my car burst a hose one of the CB'ers collected the new hose, delivered it, and helped me fit it. (I hadn't met him before, just chatted). That's now four face to face meetings. I have still to meet the prepper.

Too far to help me HF frequencies or not. Local help was what I needed and what I got.

CB may not be powerful, no real range( unless you know what you are doing) yet for me potentially 9 sources of help and visa versa for them. Good enough for me.

Note:- 4 out of the 9 run mobiles in their car. 3 more have battery backups to 'their mobile working as a base station' set ups as mains round here is basically rubbish in winter as it the phone system. The other 2 run hand helds in tractors.

Thanks for this Paul,

Its good to hear what is possible in real life, not just in theory. Have you any idea how many actice CB stations there are in the UK now? Does anyone know? Large parts of the country seem completely dead...

I'm going to stay on track with the NVIS stuff, but that in no way means thatthe CB route is abandoned. As you say for close in 10 mile radius working its an excellent choice.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 July 2012, 09:59, (This post was last modified: 11 July 2012, 10:00 by Lightspeed.)
(9 July 2012, 19:43)Paul Wrote:
(9 July 2012, 10:13)Lightspeed Wrote: Good points NR, and largely I agree with you. But how many preppers are within 10 to 15 miles of you at the moment?.....and how are you going to find out? That's the probable max range you'll get with a fixed CB station and good antenna......

I'm chipping in here.

Hi Paul,

Odd my reply last night just shows an empty space (no gags pleaseTongue)

Here it is again:

Thanks for this Paul,

Its good to hear what is possible in real life, not just in theory. Have you any idea how many actice CB stations there are in the UK now? Does anyone know? Large parts of the country seem completely dead...

I'm going to stay on track with the NVIS stuff, but that in no way means thatthe CB route is abandoned. As you say for close in 10 mile radius working its an excellent choice.

Nope, something very strange happening on this thread, replies not being posted as written

I'll try again

Thanks for this Paul,

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 July 2012, 10:23, (This post was last modified: 11 July 2012, 10:24 by NorthernRaider.)
Gremlins got LS this morning, this ios what he wanted to say

Thanks for this Paul,

[/quote]
GUYS Dont alter text or add text WITHIN quotes from other people and the gremlins wont eat your words.
If you see a reply appear and it has no text if you click on its REPLY button you can see wot they wroted Smile

11 July 2012, 10:54,
(11 July 2012, 10:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: Gremlins got LS this morning, this ios what he wanted to say

Thanks for this Paul,

Thanks NR.

Your help appreciated.

Gremlins def playing up here!

Youve been a little quiet on here recently. Hope you are OK?

LS

GUYS Dont alter text or add text WITHIN quotes from other people and the gremlins wont eat your words.
If you see a reply appear and it has no text if you click on its REPLY button you can see wot they wroted Smile
[/quote]

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580