Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connunications update following Polls:
11 July 2012, 12:18,
RE: Connunications update following Polls:
Hi LS

You know I get asked that question a lot. Answer is I haven't a clue.
No one else seems to know either. None of the CB forums (or even some other prepping forums) have run a decent poll recently, if at all! Huh

I've had loads of folk say they've got one on the shelf or in the shed but to actually get it going again it seems too hard for today's mobile phone and PC mad world. AngryAngry

I'm told it's on the increase by other freebanders but it's not quantifiable.
Certainly round me it's not many. Still I've always preferred quality to quantity. Big Grin

I asked my little mail order "dedicated CB shop" for a opinion.
They ship on average 15 CB units a week and freebanding sets about 1 a month.
So I'd guess round 750 units a year from a tiny dedicated shop.
Their 'visiting' customer base is in the 100's.

Our little FB group repair and are asked to "modify" 2 to 3 sets a month.

Deduce what you can from that. Huh

Paul

11 July 2012, 12:31,
(11 July 2012, 12:18)Paul Wrote: Hi LS

You know I get asked that question a lot. Answer is I haven't a clue.
No one else seems to know either. None of the CB forums (or even some other prepping forums) have run a decent poll recently, if at all! Huh

I've had loads of folk say they've got one on the shelf or in the shed but to actually get it going again it seems too hard for today's mobile phone and PC mad world. AngryAngry

I'm told it's on the increase by other freebanders but it's not quantifiable.

Certainly round me it's not many. Still I've always preferred quality to quantity. Big Grin

I asked my little mail order "dedicated CB shop" for a opinion.
They ship on average 15 CB units a week and freebanding sets about 1 a month.
So I'd guess round 750 units a year from a tiny dedicated shop.
Their 'visiting' customer base is in the 100's.

Our little FB group repair and are asked to "modify" 2 to 3 sets a month.

Deduce what you can from that. Huh

Paul

So say a CB last ten years, most of mine are far older than that and still functional that means that there are around 7000 viable sets in the country. Probably more.

I think your comment about having rigs lying in the back of cupboards is probably spot on.

I'm toying with the idea of having a prepper radio weekend with a few set calling frequencies / channels. This would perhaps give us an idea of how viable our current set-ups actually are.

What do you think? Good idea or a waste of time?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 July 2012, 12:37,
When we drove to Alston from here last weekend to visit the NG railway, we put the CB in the van plugged into a 1.5 meter long mag mount, Going UP Weardale I heard 4 different voices but did not hail any of them, coming back down via Teessdale we heard nothing in the upper dale but by the time we passed Barnard Castle heading towards Bishop Auckland there was a modest amount of occasional chatter, I estimated one broadcaster to be a mini bus company, I heard youngsters hailing each other, and I'm pretty sure most other traffic was farmers.

11 July 2012, 13:12,
Good idea?
No, not yet. It needs planning, organisation, advertising.

It's not feasable until we can get specific prepping CB'ers in specific towns / cities to form nets first.

Using CB's regularly attracts attention.
Attention leads to new members to a net.
New members would help everyone even if they aren't preppers by heart.

Without that organisation all you'll prove is preppers are few in number.

Prepper org's claim national coverage of membership and that's still only numbering in the low thousands at best.

Say it was 5000 in total.
Then that's 0.007% of the whole population.

Not really a lot to base an opinion on (unless you are YouGov and manipulate the figures).

The hams claim there was approximately 65000 active users in 2010.
THat's 0.09% of the whole population.
A slightly bigger drip in the bucket but still not significant.
Besides, some hams don't deign to talk to us CB'ers.

No, IMHO organisation first, trials later.

PAul

28 September 2012, 20:02,
I am interested I am doing a course in HAM's radio soon and will be able to operate a HAM's legally and I intend to buy a full working HAM's radio I am interested in a national network if that is what you are planning
28 September 2012, 20:51,
A national preppers network isn't going to happen IMHO.
There aren't enough preppers and no co operation between groups, forums, or whatever.

Go for your ham ticket and there will be loads of other bacon to talk to.
All you need is to pass a simple theory and practical test and own a credit card.
According to older hams a trained chimpanzee could do it.
Such is their regard for all ham newcomers.

The other options are CB and PMR.
Both are unregulated, both fragmented but at least CB isn't quite as snobby as Hams are.
CB is cheaper, international, and a heck more FUN!
(Not that I'm biased at all).

28 September 2012, 20:54,
ls what would be the outlay costs to get things moving......... the twig would be seen for miles? ..... fixed point location? are worries for me
29 September 2012, 03:23,
Surprisingly not mate , one of those chinese handhelds = £30/40 max , they will cover UHF and VHF including the legal PMR freqs , most are also juiced up to kick out 4 or 5 watts rather than half a watt.

Antennas - you can get dual band antennas for these handsets - portable , mobile AND base station varieties , the base station ones arent that big really.

For national comms then this type of setup has possibilities , for international work then you need alternatives.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
29 September 2012, 15:10,
ok then tln keep us all posted
29 September 2012, 16:07,
I passed my foundation licence a year or so ago and it is pretty straigtforward to be honest.

Plus as stated above you can get a dual band handheld for £40

The course and licence cst less that £50 I think so for less than £100 you could be licenced and on he air.

About the same a a CB set up once you include the rig, antenna, swr meter etc

With these handhelds you wil not get any further than CB when talking radio to radio but you will be able to access the extenve system of repeaters accross the country which will increase your range. This will work towards building a nation wide network if everyone on te forum got their licence and bought a handheld. A lot of repeaters are also linked to the internet and so you can the get worldwide comms with one of these little handhelds. This system should remain opperable in most situations but will be no good in a grid down situation.

But the thing to remeber with these little rigs is they are a gateway into the world of true amateur radio and worldwide communications.

It is a very cheap way into the hobbie

pj
If you can't strip it down and re build it, you don't own it