Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NVIS equipment
12 July 2012, 08:43,
RE: NVIS equipment
LS Said

Paul,

Your FB group's event yesterday got me thinking and researching before work today.

Its possible that you had a dense sproradic-E cloud of ionisation right overhead and that it was dense enough able to reflect 11m transmissions straight back down to earth (NVIS) this accounts for the high noise floor you experienced, and also the contacts that were achieved in what would normally be the skip zone.
e-layer is 95Km to 120Km high by the way.

Web researching indicates this to be very rare indeed at CB (27Mhz)frequencies.
LS

LS stop posting inside others comment boxes Smile

12 July 2012, 09:36,
(12 July 2012, 08:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: LS Said

Paul,

Your FB group's event yesterday got me thinking and researching before work today.

Its possible that you had a dense sproradic-E cloud of ionisation right overhead and that it was dense enough able to reflect 11m transmissions straight back down to earth (NVIS) this accounts for the high noise floor you experienced, and also the contacts that were achieved in what would normally be the skip zone.
e-layer is 95Km to 120Km high by the way.

Web researching indicates this to be very rare indeed at CB (27Mhz)frequencies.
LS

LS stop posting inside others comment boxes Smile

Cheers NR,

The gremlins are still haunting me it seems!

Good to read that the new radio of yours was picking up stuff on your recent travels. Hopefully ther will be a lot more prepper activity on the CB bands before too long:-)

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 July 2012, 10:19,
I get quite a bit of far distant chatter ( signal in the 1's) with that longer rubber duck, could be a cluster of users on the edge of my present range ( bout ten miles)

12 July 2012, 10:35,
(12 July 2012, 10:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: I get quite a bit of far distant chatter ( signal in the 1's) with that longer rubber duck, could be a cluster of users on the edge of my present range ( bout ten miles)

Reckon that if you can get a simple tuned wire dipole up in the air you're going to be able to pick up a whle lot more, and up those weak signals will be up a couple of s points as well.

Are the signals stronger on the mag mount? They should be...

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 July 2012, 10:48,
That will have to wait TWOFOLD, first until I finally and fully understand the principles and whats needed to put one up, TBH even with the diagrams and step by step guides folk have kindly sent me I still 'Dont Get It', secondly I've just walked to the GPS and back to see a lady from the CAB and I'm in agony again so back to bed and load up with pain killers AGAIN Sad

12 July 2012, 12:34,
(12 July 2012, 10:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: That will have to wait TWOFOLD, first until I finally and fully understand the principles and whats needed to put one up, TBH even with the diagrams and step by step guides folk have kindly sent me I still 'Dont Get It', secondly I've just walked to the GPS and back to see a lady from the CAB and I'm in agony again so back to bed and load up with pain killers AGAIN Sad

When I get some free time at home I'll make one up for you and pop it in the post along with instructions on how to connect it up.

You need to take it very easy. You'll be a long time a-mending if you try to do too much. I went through a similar stupid and self inflicted accident a few years ago and I was pretty much out of action physically for the best part of a year. Bloody frustrating it was too.

j
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 July 2012, 12:38, (This post was last modified: 12 July 2012, 12:40 by NorthernRaider.)
(12 July 2012, 12:34)Lightspeed Wrote: You need to take it very easy. You'll be a long time a-mending if you try to do too much. I went through a similar stupid and self inflicted accident a few years ago and I was pretty much out of action physically for the best part of a year. Bloody frustrating it was too.

j

Mending thats a laugh, I just walked to the docs and back for an appointment, went to the loo when I came back and yet again my pee is flecked with blood, If I was a dog I would put me down!!Smile
500 yard round trip and it feels like I've been shot in the bollocks.
(12 July 2012, 12:34)Lightspeed Wrote: When I get some free time at home I'll make one up for you and pop it in the post along with instructions on how to connect it up.

j

oooh ta very much i like pressies, no rush though cos the communities radio system scheme must get priority.
NR

12 July 2012, 13:01,
(12 July 2012, 12:38)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(12 July 2012, 12:34)Lightspeed Wrote: You need to take it very easy. You'll be a long time a-mending if you try to do too much. I went through a similar stupid and self inflicted accident a few years ago and I was pretty much out of action physically for the best part of a year. Bloody frustrating it was too.

j

Mending thats a laugh, I just walked to the docs and back for an appointment, went to the loo when I came back and yet again my pee is flecked with blood, If I was a dog I would put me down!!Smile
500 yard round trip and it feels like I've been shot in the bollocks.
(12 July 2012, 12:34)Lightspeed Wrote: When I get some free time at home I'll make one up for you and pop it in the post along with instructions on how to connect it up.

j

oooh ta very much i like pressies, no rush though cos the communities radio system scheme must get priority.
NR

Its just a matter of remembering to do it mate, there is very little to it as you will see when it arrives.

But that same simplicity should translate into good performance.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

13 July 2012, 08:32, (This post was last modified: 13 July 2012, 08:53 by Lightspeed.)
Good Easy to read reference book for Low Power HF communications

QRP Basics by Rev Gerorge Dobbs

ISBN 1-872309-91-7

This small book covers a lot of ground including radio station set up, radio and radio kit reviews and instruction on home building and fixing of kit

Antenna Tuners

In Fact Antenna Matching Units. These devices do not tune the antenna at all, but they match them to the input and output circuits of your radio, making for better reception and protecting the output transistors of your radio from becoming damaged / destroyed as a result of transmitting into an inappropriate circuit load.

Properly tuned dipole antennas do not neeed and AMU.

Three off he shelf models to consider are:

MFJ 971 which includes and SWR meter. Will match end fed wires, whips, Dipoles, in facts pretty much anything.

MFJ 901b As above but without SWR meter. Completely bomb proof, and will match just about anything. I once had an interesting conversation with a station in france with one of these units matching a Barbed wire fence as an antenna.

MFJ 16010 End fed wire tuner: Small, simple and efficient.
SWR meters designed for CB equipment will not give accurate readings at 3.5Mhz and 7 Mhz.

A meter that has proven to be reliable and accurate enough for normal requirements is the Avair AV-20 Cost between £20 second hand and £40 new
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

13 July 2012, 09:37,
LS,

I love the experience with the kit. One extra step I think most of us would find helpful is if you posted a link to a supplier. Using the specs we could, if we wanted to, shop around but that link defines exactly what it is and, certainly in my case, saves a lot of worrying about if it is the right one. I know it's extra work for you but it saves a lot of time for everyone else.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin