Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I NEED POWER!
14 July 2012, 18:01,
RE: I NEED POWER!
(14 July 2012, 17:58)Hrusai Wrote: true that BP but hey how many post SHTF pilots are there gonna be xD....well after a year or so Tongue

still that roundhouse is amazing, i'd love to have such an amazing place, in fact, i aspire to it.

we have a friend in Somerset who has a straw bale house, not a round house but a square one.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 July 2012, 18:04,
lucky buggers, hopefully one day ill be in a position to build myself something like that!...did they build theirs?
14 July 2012, 18:06,
yes, with a lot of extra helpers!!! http://www.carolinebarry.org.uk click on the pictures for the narrative.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 July 2012, 18:11,
i shall certainly read that later on looks great!

you got some ruddy cool friends BP Big Grin
14 July 2012, 18:16,
(14 July 2012, 18:11)Hrusai Wrote: i shall certainly read that later on looks great!

you got some ruddy cool friends BP Big Grin
well we did live in Glastonbury for 10 years and we have friends in the "alternative" community, i havent got much time for "straights" i prefer hippies,travellers and bikers...much more interesting than your boring old "mr ordinary"Big Grin
14 July 2012, 18:20,
Hey!!!
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 July 2012, 18:25,
(14 July 2012, 18:20)Skean Dhude Wrote: Hey!!!

hey yourselfTongue
14 July 2012, 23:55, (This post was last modified: 14 July 2012, 23:56 by Skvez.)
(14 July 2012, 15:35)WetandCold Wrote: One thing I would like to point out, I have been and a member of a few solar forums and you always get the geek know all that don't have solar but knows it all, they tend to chuck out maths and percentages like no tomorrow.

On one of these forums there was a bloke that knew everything and told me I could not boil purify water on my solar setup, well I then went and boiled water 3 times one after the other during the UK colder months (daylight), this was 3x 1 litre boils, that I "could not do"
Wet and Cold,
I assume this comment was aimed at me since I was the only poster to mention how poor daylight is in comparison to sunlight and the only person to mention percentages.

Just to set the record straight I've recorded the effectiveness of a solar panel for over a year with a data acquisition card measuring the Voltage and current of a solar panel feeding a battery. Samples were recorded every 10 minutes to computer.
I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to solar.

I'm glad you can boil water with a battery. I'm sure the battery can boil water at night too.

Quote:Think about getting 12 volt equipment fridge/freezer etc.
Unfortunately this is not as good advice as it may first appear. 12V friedges tend to be built for mobile applications (caravans etc) and as a result are often optimised to be small and light rather than efficient. Even talking into account the inefficiencies of an inverter, equipment intended for home use is often more efficient.

Quote:I need it to recharge batteries, laptops, kindles. Be nice if it could run a fridge/freezer for a few hours a day, lighting. If it could power a big air compressor too that'd be handy
By recharge batteries do you mean little batteries like AA/AAA or big batteries like your car batter?
Charging small batteries doesn't require very much power at all (it depends on how long you can wait for thenm to becharged, hours vs days)
Laptops typically have a PSU in the 75/100W range
Kindles are pretty gentle on the power, less so than a laptop.
Fridge/Freezer is going to require a medium sized set up. You need to check the W rating of your equipment.
The compressor (Especially if it's a big one) is probably going to be too much to hope for unless you can afford a reallyu big system. You're probably better getting a petrol or diesel compressor for the rare times you need it (I'm assuing you want it to power tools).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
15 July 2012, 00:28,
SunDanzer.com/ 12v home fridge freezers Not camping
Failure is NOT an option
15 July 2012, 01:16,
(14 July 2012, 23:55)Skvez Wrote: Wet and Cold,
I assume this comment was aimed at me since I was the only poster to mention how poor daylight is in comparison to sunlight and the only person to mention percentages.

Just to set the record straight I've recorded the effectiveness of a solar panel for over a year with a data acquisition card measuring the Voltage and current of a solar panel feeding a battery. Samples were recorded every 10 minutes to computer.
I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to solar.

I'm glad you can boil water with a battery. I'm sure the battery can boil water at night too.

Good reply if you’re ok with missing the point fully, ok so you did test good for you, can you tell me how my batts manage to recharge and continue cooking, boiling, lighting, running stereo and TV all though the winter (daylight) months, I mean you did say:

"power from daylight is typically 3% to 10% of the power from sunlight. So while they do produce power in daylight it's pretty pathetic."

Also tell me why the smart reply you said:

"I'm sure the battery can boil water at night too.",

but yet to have continued use they need recharge and as stated my setup was used day an night in my garden by family in caravan and also under a canopy, and as said above with daylight recharge only.

You said although I cannot find the post now? That you cannot cook on solar setup and I disagree as I do so all the time, did you delete that reply or have I got threads mixed up?

I don't doubt you’re a smart person I just don't agree with your year study, because while you was studying I was cooking and using day and night solar and still am on the same batts 3 years on.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ