Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I NEED POWER!
15 July 2012, 09:46, (This post was last modified: 15 July 2012, 09:50 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: I NEED POWER!
(15 July 2012, 00:28)uks Wrote: SunDanzer.com/ 12v home fridge freezers Not camping

Nice and very informative find UKS
(14 July 2012, 18:16)bigpaul Wrote:
(14 July 2012, 18:11)Hrusai Wrote: i shall certainly read that later on looks great!

you got some ruddy cool friends BP Big Grin
well we did live in Glastonbury for 10 years and we have friends in the "alternative" community, i havent got much time for "straights" i prefer hippies,travellers and bikers...much more interesting than your boring old "mr ordinary"Big Grin

WOT ABOUT OLD SOLDIERS?
(14 July 2012, 16:36)uks Wrote: A small genny for less than £100
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produc...rator-g720 Use this to charge your batteries inconjunction with solar panel. Think about getting 12 volt equipment fridge/freezer etc.

I really try to disuade preppers from using petrol gennies, just to risky in our environment.

15 July 2012, 13:09,
ALDI. A 800watt generator is on sale for £59.99

15 July 2012, 15:09,
With gennies you need to know its start up output in watts cos many applience when first turned on exceed the output of many budget gennies causing them to trip out. I'm not sure but I think the SBMCC reccomended a min of 1200 watts for most camping applications which should be a similar level to what we need.

15 July 2012, 16:34,
Don't buy cheap gennys from places like B&Q or other superstores. They are crap & the failure rate is high. The whole point of a backup power supply is that it is well made and will last for a long time. Otherwise it is wasted money and at worst - life threatening. Choose wisely. A cheap genny is not IMO opinion better than no genny at all. At least with no genny, then you will have planned accordingly & probably spent the money elsewhere - hopefully not on some other cheap tat either. Dodgy
15 July 2012, 17:13,
i can agree with cheap gennies for mundane tasks and for leisure usage, but not as part of a survival location or as a backup, TL is totally right, better to spend more money and be able to bet your life on its reliability Smile
15 July 2012, 17:15,
We have a back up system for heating i.e. multifuel stove, lighting is covered by tea candle lanterns, cooking by Calor gas and the same multifuel stove.
So we don't really need a generator BUT last winter we lost power for 6 hours.
Out came our 800 watt generator. Why?
Prepping for an emergency paid off. We could have managed by why struggle?
Total cost to us to run our home for 6 hours (bearing in mind the generator was only used intermittently) 2 liters of fuel.

Our oil central heating and hot water system (on and pumping) accounts for 145 watts.
All wired to a three pin plug for just this type of emergency.

In our home our total lighting consumes 180 watts thanks to low energy bulbs.
CB, 30 watts, computer 45 watts, and radio 15 watts.
All individually measured.
Total so far (if all on at once) 415 watts.

Cooking? Microwave 760 watts so if we want to cook, brew tea (Kettle, camping type, 400 watts).
We need to turn a few things off BUT not a problem if you think about it.
Main cooker is calor gas but the multifuel stove top is exactly frying pan size.

Our generator cost us £75 4 years ago. It's been used 3 times in the home and loads of times in the field.

My question to the doubters of having one is this. Why struggle? Isn't that why we prep?

15 July 2012, 18:14,
I gotta say chaps, chappeses and SD, for technical advice in a practical and simple form backed up usually with good You Tube videos W & C really rocks, even if his voice does sound like a knife weilding psychopath hiding in your bathroom.

Paul, TL.W & C, UKS, LS etc are really raising the ceiling on UK baded preper technology, We got to get togther for a seminar or camping even one summer weekend sometime.

15 July 2012, 18:44,
those boys sure know their stuff, we're a lucky bunch here at SUK to have people like that Smile...definately the best uk prep group around!
15 July 2012, 18:48,
I think we should at some stage but you know what it is like for us meeting.

In a similar vein. I'm getting concerned about the digs that seem to have started over nothing. There are two ways to do things prototyping and design and build. Both work fine and yet we seem to be having disagreements over what method works and what doesn't. They both work and there is no need for the rivalry. We should be working together. Each of us can choose our own method based on what works and what we feel skilled enough to do. I feel that both methods contribute to all our knowledge. So can we be a bit less prickly in what we percieve as someone dissing our views. We are not children and we do have the capability of disagreeing with what someone says and dealing with it without any issues.

For the record I'm a theoretical guy and like to design and build but accept that a working prototype is proof of the pudding so to speak.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 July 2012, 19:56,
Y'see I dont have problems like that because I'm perfect Smile Hard to believe I know, but i once used to be conceited but now I'm just perfect Smile