Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets talk about Get Home Bags
17 July 2012, 10:03,
RE: Lets talk about Get Home Bags
Bin one of each of the fixed blade knife, folding knife and folding saw its overkill my friend
Lose the telescope and keep the rifle scope
Cut lightb sticks to five
Swap bogg roll for baby wipes
Lose Lock Picks and get a 12 inch pry bar

Just my two pennys worth Smile

17 July 2012, 10:09, (This post was last modified: 17 July 2012, 10:20 by 00111001.)
(17 July 2012, 10:03)NorthernRaider Wrote: Bin one of each of the fixed blade knife, folding knife and folding saw its overkill my friend
Lose the telescope and keep the rifle scope
Cut lightb sticks to five
Swap bogg roll for baby wipes
Lose Lock Picks and get a 12 inch pry bar

Just my two pennys worth Smile

They're just in my bag! In my pocket I've got another one of the mini folders, my gerber semi-auto locker, my mini SOG knife.

Oh, there's a monkey fist in the car too, really handy piece of kit. Works like a nun-chucka too if necessary - just don't hit yourself, definitely shatter an elbow with one of those...

I do need go give it an overhaul and replace some things. Might get round to it tonight when I get back from the range.
when I say mini folding saw I do mean mini - 2 inches long.
17 July 2012, 11:48,
got a GHB which only comes into use when i'm going to something like the WG or the Scythe Fair when i will be about 100 miles from home, otherwise we are usually within home territory, got an "Emergency " bag permanently in the car with various bits and pieces, lightstick,torches, disposable lighter, knife, foil blankets that sort of thing enough to get me home if i was caught out in our nearest large town..8 miles away..and had to walk home.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 July 2012, 14:32,
Edited by me.

(17 July 2012, 09:03)NorthernRaider Wrote: Paul is doing something that really concerns me greatly, though I'm not trying to interfere in his preps, But I really very strongly disagree with the use of Wind Up Flashlights in front line survival situations.

Pauls kit is clearly well thought out and suited to his own needs, the only thing I would change / add is the flashlight and consider adding a multi tool and short prybar.

I'll explain my choices to you. After all you like a good laugh.
I used to carry a battery LED torch right up till I was fixing a car exhaust and the light dimmed out. I couldn't find the spare batteries and it was 3am, no shops open <<damn>> . Ever tried to bailing wire a rear box on using a guttering tea candle for light?
So I use a magnetic winding up LED torch now. Yep they are fragile. I've gone through a few too BUT this one has gone swimming quite a few times and bounced many many more times. Must be a good one.

Prybars are something I'd never carry. The why is two fold.
One. Consider the current security and paranoia situation in the UK.
A man with a bag is a almost guarenteed stop and search late at night (or even during the day). Now you have to explain a prybar.
"Going Equipped" is the phrase that will get to a free lift to the local nick.

Two. What are you going to pry?
If I want access to anywhere solid I target the weakest point, windows or DG door panels.
THat's what the autopunch is for. Gloves on, pop, job done.
I used to carry a res-q-me but after a few failures popping DG sealed units, I prefer the auto punch. It lives in the lining of my ex-EDC now GHB bag.

Multitools. I've broken more of them than eating the perverbial hot dinner.
I started carrying a simple pair of combination pliers. They make good wire cutters, pliers(of course) nail puller, and hammer. Then for some reason they lived in my bag for a couple of years without use. I just got bored carrying them. Probably a mistake but with what I carry I am quietly confident I can gain access to most places for shelter.

17 July 2012, 18:40,
for a bag this is a useful one , its a shoulder one with handles, black, very strong. has lots of compartments so can put gear in compartemnts so when needed their at hand. As i am looking at getting out fast and if it comes to it keep moving im also getting tent and bivi. The tent will be the vango banshee 300 as it is very waterproof, light, is green, so could put netting over it if it comes down to it.

the bag
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Tec-M41-Prot...UIHX5DO5MH

1 October 2012, 14:44,
Bug  RE: Lets talk about Get Home Bags
I class my GHB and car kit as the same thing, as the other car related stuff is for an accident or breakdown.

I have two items I would like to add that have served me well.

A poncho liner and poncho. I have found these two items so useful over the years I cannot recommned them enough. They will serve you well in many non SHTF activities - Camping, Patrolling, Festivals, Sepectating, Car breakdown etc. They would also be handy items if you need to walk home or SHTF.

http://kifaru.net/woobieXpress.html You can get other cheaper versions.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/10630021-ge...-camo.html