Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hygiene protocols
29 July 2012, 14:40,
RE: Hygiene protocols
It’s only a temporary measure Paul, I am not saying bleach everything for forever, and also you can buy and then store powder bleach, big tubs of it no problem, just keep it away from all your food preps.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
29 July 2012, 15:16,
(29 July 2012, 14:40)WetandCold Wrote: It’s only a temporary measure Paul, I am not saying bleach everything for forever, and also you can buy and then store powder bleach, big tubs of it no problem, just keep it away from all your food preps.
i suppose once all the big die off is long gone and there are less people around then the chance of contamination is less of a problem, obviously still have to be careful and cook everything through properly(thankfully i'm a well done kind of guy not a medium rare!)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 December 2012, 10:37,
if like myself your in an urban enviroment when TSHTF and you survive through all the rioting, arson, rape, robbery etc. You should be fine for scavenging all manner of cleaning supplys because i carnt imagine sheeple being interested in hygene when there dying of thirst and starvation, disease, victim of predetors. I'd bet you could still find some of these things in shops if the few smart people left havnt hooverd them all up.

Its weird how people think nothing of having a monthes supply of washing up liquid (as its in just one bottle) but would call you nuts for having more than 2 weeks of food stored.
29 December 2012, 14:42,
(29 December 2012, 10:37)KnockoffNeil Wrote: if like myself your in an urban enviroment when TSHTF and you survive through all the rioting, arson, rape, robbery etc. You should be fine for scavenging all manner of cleaning supplys because i carnt imagine sheeple being interested in hygene when there dying of thirst and starvation, disease, victim of predetors. I'd bet you could still find some of these things in shops if the few smart people left havnt hooverd them all up.

Its weird how people think nothing of having a monthes supply of washing up liquid (as its in just one bottle) but would call you nuts for having more than 2 weeks of food stored.
yes, couldn't agree more, there are plenty around here (a small country town) who never have more than a few days worth of food stored, who if they knew i had preps (they dont) would call me stupid. most people when the rioting starts will go for food rather than other stuff.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2012, 14:51,
I entirely agree with NR on this and here are my reasons

In the past I agree people did not have anti biotics, modern hygiene protocols, but it is misleading to believe they got along just fine. History shows that many people died of basic Pulmonary diseases like Colds and Flu with the associated chest infections. The second greatest killer is intestinal diseases like Dysentry and food poisoning, these are the most common Human pathogens and without our modern infrastructure will be rampant after SHTF. I have travelled to India on many occasions and the idea that being dirty ect builds up immunity is a very dangerouse philosophy, the simple fact is that untold thousands die every year from basic hygiene problems, it is also a fact that the more educated people who are aware of hygiene problems live longer than the uneducated masses who spend their days riddled with bacteria. You do not build up immunity by being dirty in your living habits, you are simply playing Russian Roulette until you are infected. I may sound a bit "preachy" on this but I don't intend to appear that way. I will tell you this though, I have had full blown dysentry and I nearly died, even with our modern drugs it is a killer if not caught quickly and leaves you immobile for weeks. I would rather have an extra bottle of bleach than extra matches.
30 December 2012, 15:03,
i have always though that the major cause of disease is OTHER PEOPLE, modern humans in general are a disgusting lot with lots of disgusting habits, my main (but not only) hygiene protocol after TSHTF will be staying away from other people, we (self and OH) will be going into total isolation mode immediately after TSHTF and we will NOT be mixing with other people for a long time after( could be months..could be years..could be never)Angry
30 December 2012, 15:28,
Hygeine stinks in this country, no one washes there hands and people spit for fun.then they wonder why things spread so fast. The novo vomit bug is a prime example this month
30 December 2012, 15:34,
I hear ya BP, and many would take the same view that isolation will save you, but it won't! when you emerge into a brave new world the same old Bacteria and Virus will be waiting. Isolation during the plague only saved a very small amount of people, and that was only because the people who lived had a nutural immunity to the disease.
There is no immunity from the common cold, flu virus or bacteria/virus that give us food poisoning etc. A bad infection will kill peoples families just as effectively as the best armed raider.
the old adage
"cleanliness is next to Godliness" is worth noting
30 December 2012, 15:52,
Bruce parry used to eat mouldy bread and other off foods a few weeks before filming his shows to try and help his immune system when he visited tribes. But a pandemic is very high on my list for tshf scenarios.

with the increase of fleas,bed bugs and ticks its only a matter of time before they start spreading disease. Can you get the likes of hepatitus from a flea bite?
30 December 2012, 15:59, (This post was last modified: 30 December 2012, 16:45 by bigpaul.)
(30 December 2012, 15:34)Tartar Horde Wrote: I hear ya BP, and many would take the same view that isolation will save you, but it won't! when you emerge into a brave new world the same old Bacteria and Virus will be waiting. Isolation during the plague only saved a very small amount of people, and that was only because the people who lived had a nutural immunity to the disease.
There is no immunity from the common cold, flu virus or bacteria/virus that give us food poisoning etc. A bad infection will kill peoples families just as effectively as the best armed raider.
the old adage
"cleanliness is next to Godliness" is worth noting

yeah but thats my point, disease is spread by PEOPLE, hopefully a large die off will help!!

i mean, all these diseases need a human host, dont they?? i heard that most germs dont live long outside of a host body, maybe 24 hours or so.

as i'm already in a rural area, if we have to bug out will be going to an even remoter area, that should help.