5 years
10 years
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
how long after an event for things to die down
3 January 2012, 12:03,
RE: how long after an event for things to die down
Depends on what "the event" is that sets everything in motion, if a long drawn out economic situation then it may take time before the sheeple even realise ANYTHING is happening, this will give us more time to get in extra supplies whilst the general public is still watching eastenders, xfactor and big brother. when the truth suddenly dawns you will have petrol stations and supermarkets being emptied by the masses in 48 hours, then the mass exodus to points north,south,east & west as they go to parents, grannies, second cousins house or whereever. i reckon a big die off the first winter of the elderly, infirm, disabled, junkies and alcoholics when the power goes off, only those with alternative heating and cooking will survive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 January 2012, 12:52,
(3 January 2012, 12:03)bigpaul Wrote: Depends on what "the event" is that sets everything in motion, if a long drawn out economic situation then it may take time before the sheeple even realise ANYTHING is happening, this will give us more time to get in extra supplies whilst the general public is still watching eastenders, xfactor and big brother. when the truth suddenly dawns you will have petrol stations and supermarkets being emptied by the masses in 48 hours, then the mass exodus to points north,south,east & west as they go to parents, grannies, second cousins house or whereever. i reckon a big die off the first winter of the elderly, infirm, disabled, junkies and alcoholics when the power goes off, only those with alternative heating and cooking will survive.

About petrol stations, did you know that in some towns where the Super Markets have wiped out the competition from smaller petrol suppliers, not only in some cases are the big supermarkets the ONLY suppliers but also their tanks have to be refilled sometimes twice a day. So in some areas if the SHTF the only local fuel supply will be gone in a couple of hours.

I know its hazardous, fidddly and smelly but I do think kereping a reasonable about of treated fuel is going to be essential for preppers.

3 January 2012, 13:38,
(3 January 2012, 12:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: About petrol stations, did you know that in some towns where the Super Markets have wiped out the competition from smaller petrol suppliers, not only in some cases are the big supermarkets the ONLY suppliers but also their tanks have to be refilled sometimes twice a day. So in some areas if the SHTF the only local fuel supply will be gone in a couple of hours.

I know its hazardous, fidddly and smelly but I do think kereping a reasonable about of treated fuel is going to be essential for preppers.

in our small town there is only 1 petrol station, if they have no fuel(as has happened in the past) the next petrol station is 6 miles away in another small town, the next is 8 miles and the next after that is 13 miles away, so having a small stock of fuel can be advantageous, when the riots were on i stored 30 litres of petrol just in case things escalated, this gives me enough fuel to at least top up the vehicle, under my tenancy i'm only supposed to store 5 litres, but in the event of TSHTF all these rules wont apply.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 January 2012, 14:08,
A couple of years ago when we were on holiday down your way there was no fuel available at any petrol station from J25 Taunton to way past Exeter, every station we tried was dry. Damn glad i was in the Transit with its 500 mile range and 4 jerry can in t back, and not the Mitsy with only its 300 mile range.

3 January 2012, 14:18,
(3 January 2012, 14:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: A couple of years ago when we were on holiday down your way there was no fuel available at any petrol station from J25 Taunton to way past Exeter, every station we tried was dry. Damn glad i was in the Transit with its 500 mile range and 4 jerry can in t back, and not the Mitsy with only its 300 mile range.

was that when the fuel strikes were on?? i dont buy fuel on the motorways, too expensive and they've got a monopoly- got people by the short and curlies- i tend to use A roads and back county roads anyway, i get bored on motorways, i'm looking out for supplies most of the time anyway so the best place for that is on back country roads.
3 January 2012, 14:23,
(3 January 2012, 14:18)bigpaul Wrote:
(3 January 2012, 14:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: A couple of years ago when we were on holiday down your way there was no fuel available at any petrol station from J25 Taunton to way past Exeter, every station we tried was dry. Damn glad i was in the Transit with its 500 mile range and 4 jerry can in t back, and not the Mitsy with only its 300 mile range.

was that when the fuel strikes were on?? i dont buy fuel on the motorways, too expensive and they've got a monopoly- got people by the short and curlies- i tend to use A roads and back county roads anyway, i get bored on motorways, i'm looking out for supplies most of the time anyway so the best place for that is on back country roads.

No it was somewhere around 2005 not 2001, they just sold more fuel than they could resupply, perhaps the tankers were stuck in South WEales or London, I dunno but no fuel from Taunton right the way down to well past exeter

3 January 2012, 14:28,
(3 January 2012, 14:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: No it was somewhere around 2005 not 2001, they just sold more fuel than they could resupply, perhaps the tankers were stuck in South WEales or London, I dunno but no fuel from Taunton right the way down to well past exeter

fuel for this area comes from Portishead, cant think why you had that problem maybe there was a tanker driver strike then, we were still living in Glastonbury at that time.
3 January 2012, 14:33,
(3 January 2012, 14:28)bigpaul Wrote:
(3 January 2012, 14:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: No it was somewhere around 2005 not 2001, they just sold more fuel than they could resupply, perhaps the tankers were stuck in South WEales or London, I dunno but no fuel from Taunton right the way down to well past exeter

fuel for this area comes from Portishead, cant think why you had that problem maybe there was a tanker driver strike then, we were still living in Glastonbury at that time.

Again I dunno we fiorst tried to refill north of Taunton but there was long queues, Taunton was dry as was the other places we tried as we headed south. We stopped for lunchj at that roadside cafe just south of Exeter up on the hill at the side of the road and there was dozens of cars completely dry.

3 January 2012, 14:44,
2005 was the year the Buncefield oil depot in Hertfordshire went up in flames, maybe this had a knock on effect with fuel supplies? cant think of anything else that year off the top of my head.
5 January 2012, 15:52,
I've only said 6 months because it is entirely dependant on what the situation is.

After about 3 months the majority of the damage will be over or contained. After that it is entirely situationally dependant.

New Orleans was 'stabilised' after a few months. The London Riots ended after a week or 2. The nuclear plants over in Japan got sorted in about 2 months. So I'm going with a 3 month containment period. But it does depend on the situation.