Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What got you into prepping
18 July 2012, 12:53,
RE: What got you into prepping
(18 July 2012, 12:41)bigpaul Wrote: my parents were born just before WW1, my uncles went to Canada in the depression, this generation always had store cupboards/larders it wasnt something they thought about it was just a fact of life...this was the era before supermarkets..in fact i didnt see a supermarket until about 1970, so i guess it was always in my genes..its just taken a large event to bring it to the surface!Big Grin

Do I hear an echo? lolBig Grin

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
18 July 2012, 13:03,
(18 July 2012, 12:53)TOF Wrote:
(18 July 2012, 12:41)bigpaul Wrote: my parents were born just before WW1, my uncles went to Canada in the depression, this generation always had store cupboards/larders it wasnt something they thought about it was just a fact of life...this was the era before supermarkets..in fact i didnt see a supermarket until about 1970, so i guess it was always in my genes..its just taken a large event to bring it to the surface!Big Grin

Do I hear an echo? lolBig Grin
Big GrinBig Grin

Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 July 2012, 14:03,
I'm just a bit strange. Always kind of done it, even since I was a kid. Just didn't know there was a name for it.

Plus I'm lazy, so used to go shopping once a month, normally filling 2 or 3 trolleys. Nice to have full cupboards. Now I seem to spend every day, and every penny, in a supermarket buying more and more food. I've got a whole room full of it, it's not the kitchen either Tongue

So I've always been what people would call "strange" - always had knives and other assorted weapons. I've got a problem with throwing things away, I have to keep them "just in case". Now I've got little 'un, and the wife is on board, we take it very seriously. I'm currently trying to bulk up my first aid / trauma kits and some off-grid power.
19 July 2012, 00:16,
I think I've 'fallen into' prepping because of a convergence of interests ranging from camping and outdoorsyness from a young age, (Brownies and Guides- excellent institution, all children should be involved in IMHO), frugalness ie buying cheap and stockpiling , DIY to make huge savings and, efficient management of all things which need maintenence thereby prolonging usefulness and delaying further outlay. My Dad was instrumental in equipping me with many skills that girls generally do not acquire. I have been brought up painting and decorating, repairing engines, fixing things, playing with radios, reading maps, making things, customising things to suit a particular purpose and generally making good use of 'stuff'! I am grateful for all of this as it has given me the confidence to just get on with whatever needs to be sorted.

So I've been at it for years but had the grim realisation that we no longer live in a civilised society anymore which led me to think what if ... ? What if nasty people decide to turn out the lights forever by some means? What if some nasty little f*%$^r decides to shower us all with radiation, chemicals, viruses etc. What if we can't get enough fuel to run a vehicle? What if we have increasingly odd weather
and can't produce much food? And, this is the real thing that made me start thinking ... What if there is economic collapse, what would happen to me and
mine?

I started to research the wider implications and discovered the world of Preppers
and most noteably this brilliant site! Thanks SD! Smile
19 July 2012, 05:22,
needing a hobby, been stuck in a rut for a few years now, doing sweet sod all, playing alot of games, probly a dose of paranoia, seeing the world disintegrate around me slowly, and ive always felt an affinity with the core principles of survival and the outdoor life, i also wish to learn to be self sufficient and am very interested in primitive crafts, i could go on there are many reasons for me
19 July 2012, 07:59,
(18 July 2012, 10:20)NorthernRaider Wrote: Finding out that whilst I was sitting in a trench on the greater German plain the ruling elite in the UK were telling the public no one could survive a nuclear war so it wasnt worthwhile building bunkers for the public, whilst they were spending billions on bunkers to protect themselves, the damn royal parasites and the nations works of art!!!!. The public could die whilst their sons fought to protect the ruling elite whilst those same ruling elite were tunneling like mad under Dover, Whitehall, Corsham, Liverpool, Edinburgh and in Canada ( super bunker for the royal parasites). I became a survivalist and republican at the same moment.
I even used the forum names of Cromwell, Ironsides, Buffs, Republican and Roundhead at one time but again some pathetic sad creatures running those forums also took offence to anyone who was not a fawning ass licking royalist.

But don't think who ever is in power they would be doing the same thing looking after themselves first before the general public and we should still be looking after ourselfs?.

Failure is NOT an option
19 July 2012, 08:56,
I still prep 35 years on cos quite simply I love my family and hate the way this country is going, EG only this morning on TV the BBC guy said that in the post war Olympics the only security needed was some boy scouts, even with the IRA still being a pain right back then. But today thanks to the open borders policy and EU membership we now have millions of potential terrorists in the Islamic community, It appears that one only has to " offend" a muslim very often for them to declare war on you.

19 July 2012, 09:11,
i have always viewed immigrants with suspicion, especially people like Abu Hamza and that Choudray person, its what in the Second World war would have been referred to as "The Third Column" and many would have been locked up for the duration, i have never understood people who come here, then complain about the British, want to change our culture, harass our returning Soldiers but are quite happy to accept housing benefit and unemployment benefit, if they hate this country so much-why come here in the first place??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 July 2012, 11:40,
Watching Lord of the Flies in English in High School, and identifying with Piggy. That got me thinking about desert island survival and wilderness survival in general, and wanting to learn skills that would allow me to exist independent of anyone else. Through related Google search terms like "survival", I stumbled across sites like SurvivalBlog.com.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
19 July 2012, 13:08, (This post was last modified: 19 July 2012, 13:09 by NorthernRaider.)
(19 July 2012, 11:40)Tibbs735 Wrote: Watching Lord of the Flies in English in High School, and identifying with Piggy. That got me thinking about desert island survival and wilderness survival in general, and wanting to learn skills that would allow me to exist independent of anyone else. Through related Google search terms like "survival", I stumbled across sites like SurvivalBlog.com.

Bloody hell your an interlectual !!!! Didnt know interlectuals came here Smile
(18 July 2012, 14:03)00111001 Wrote: I'm just a bit strange.

Understatement of the year award goes to Binary Smile