• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link for scythes
18 July 2012, 10:05,
Link for scythes
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/index.html
Failure is NOT an option
24 July 2012, 05:20,
RE: Link for scythes
I used to use a scythe many years ago, when we had a large area of rough grass. In the old times, a good scythesman, could scythe seven acres of wheat, barley, etc., in a day. That is a huge area. Kenneth Eames.
24 July 2012, 12:53,
we still got a scythe or 2 Big Grin
6 June 2014, 18:36, (This post was last modified: 6 June 2014, 18:46 by Lightspeed.)
BP's scythe for sale ad gave me the idea to try out the ancient old scythe that I inherited among the bric-a-brac in the barns...

For sure my technique is rubbish and from what I've read this evening, my adequate sharpening was rubbish. But the thing cut grass and brambles off rough ground far more effectively than the motor strimmer I've been using until now.

This thing is fantastic. I am now looking to find one of the older generation locals to hive me some sharpening and mowing instruction.

Until I find someone who can help me, can anyone on here point me in the right direction on sharpening or mowing technique?

wow, looking at the prices on the link in the OP my setup would cost over £100...... glad I didn't throw it away.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 June 2014, 18:48,
you might find these interesting: http://www.scythemowers.net/scythe/ http://www.austrianscythes.co.uk
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2014, 20:06,
Thanks BP,

The scythes in the pics on that site are identical to the one I have.... so its an Austrian scythe.

Mine's got a 60cm blade so a little smaller than the one you are selling.

I am very intrigued to see how well it will perform when properly sharpened and wielded competently.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 June 2014, 07:54,
Scythe blades have to be hammered out to give a really thin edge, this gradually wears off as the blade is sharpened and will need to be hammered again regularly.
7 June 2014, 20:47,
A neighbour called in this afternoon andhad a look at the scythe and helped me get it aligned properly on its handle.

He also asked if I had found the shatpeneing ( peenin?) jigs to go with it.... we looked through the bric-a brac again and found several bits of steel that he was looking for. After half an hours hammering on two different mandrels, he declared the blade ready for finishing, with a wet stone.

Once completed the scythe was transformed. Far easier to cut with and he tells me that with careful finishing on a regular basis, it'll become even more razor edged.

Mrs LS was so intrigued about the neighbours work she insisted on having a try, which ended up with her mowing all the rest of the bank I'd started. Hopefully her enthusiasm will continue, giving me more time for e few beers in the shade:-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 June 2014, 11:37,
(6 June 2014, 20:06)Lightspeed Wrote: Thanks BP,

Mine's got a 60cm blade so a little smaller than the one you are selling.
the blade on mine is about 75cm, I'm selling it for £75 and will be taking it to the Green Scythe Fair in Somerset on Sunday...opens 11am.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 June 2014, 21:59,
Ha ha BP, I have a mental image of you trapsing around the fair with that huge scythe of yours on your shoulder, looking like the grim reaper :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580