Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link for scythes
9 June 2014, 08:48,
RE: Link for scythes
no the scythe will be in the car, I will be walking around the site with a large photo of me holding the scythe, on my back,like a hairy sandwich board man, shouldn't be hard to spot !!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 June 2014, 12:49,
(9 June 2014, 08:48)bigpaul Wrote: I will be walking around the site with a large photo of me holding the scythe, on my back,like a hairy sandwich board man, shouldn't be hard to spot !!Big Grin

I may have to go just to see that Big Grin
9 June 2014, 12:53,
(9 June 2014, 12:49)BeardyMan Wrote:
(9 June 2014, 08:48)bigpaul Wrote: I will be walking around the site with a large photo of me holding the scythe, on my back,like a hairy sandwich board man, shouldn't be hard to spot !!Big Grin

I may have to go just to see that Big Grin

well it isn't like you don't know what I look like is it? 11am start.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 June 2014, 08:44,
Neighbour took a look at my mowing efforts yesterday and rather than nodding his head in a suitably impressed manner he was shaking it in a way that implied complete ineptitude on my part (but I thought my efforts were impressive until then)!

Anyway he basically confiscated my shiny new scythe and took it to his workshop down in the village. For an hour and a half noises akin to a car being scrapped with a sledge hammer reminded us that he was at work rectifying what was evidently an inexpertly sharpned scythe.

He returned with a glint in his eye and handed over my prixed antique with the simple statelement " That should be sharp enough even for you buoy" With that he turned an left, just raising a hand without turning his head in response to my thanks.

And then I looked at the blade. OMG, what had started out as a smooth shiny crescent was now transformed into a ragged toothy edge. He'd destroyed it! With dark thoughts going through my head I thought I'd just try it out before getting truly upset. Wow oh wow, what a difference. This thing is now effortlessly vicious. Short grass, weeds, brambles..... nothing survived even the lightest swipe.

Plainly what I thought Austrian a well honed Austrian scythe blade should look like was very far from the truth. A good lesson learned here. Next step is the invite to do some proper hay mowing with the locals this weekend.

I'll take some close up shots of the blade edge and post them here for others to use as a reference if they are contemplating mowing by scythe.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580