Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just seen this quote on shtfplan.com
19 July 2012, 14:49,
RE: just seen this quote on shtfplan.com
W&C,

What we all aspire to.

Except for the exercise bit of course in my case.

SD
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 July 2012, 15:30,
(19 July 2012, 14:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: W&C,

What we all aspire to.

SD

If it helps SD I was 22 stone in February and by end of May I reached 18 stone, bear in mind I am of big frame, but 4 stone in just under 3 months and I eat and drank so no starvation/water weight loss here.

My new goal is 16 stone by Xmas and then 15 and a half and at this stage I will start weights again something I have not done in many years, I was always very active in life training arts of many sorts, I just let middle age take over and I lost the plot for 10 years. (also I took injury from a moped crash and a fight)
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
19 July 2012, 16:20, (This post was last modified: 19 July 2012, 16:21 by NorthernRaider.)
My wife said to me, " You need exercise your getting out of shape"

I said " I'm not out of shape !!!, Round IS a shape" Smile
Hey W & C, all the best mate for the future, I have learned much from you, enjoy your well earned liesure time. I'm still hoping to retire fully from online p[repping stuff when I get better and mobile again.
NR

19 July 2012, 18:57,
Nr I don't think I got my point over to well, I am not quitting this forum or survivalism I want to help it grow, I will be doing videos when the workshop is ready, and many of them will be prepping related.

I am just changing the thought process I no longer want to spend time on a "MUST" but instead spend time on enjoying the idea of survivalism, at what point does it all become nothing more than a something to do or a habit if you like, there has to be a goal and we have to reach that goal.

A few years into our first encounter of prepping will teach us how vulnerable we all are, then a few more years and we should have reached the stage of being able to prevent many of these vulnerabilities, I myself feel if there is no end game then a target cannot be set or reached, maybe that’s just my personal view point.

I enjoy this online community, it is good to keep the things we like, if I could change one thing it would be lose the newsbot posts, I have managed to not read or watch news for over 20 years, in fact the only news I get is off this board and it just confirms what I always thought people live to moan, or have this need to criticise things.

I feel I have no power to change the way the elites want to run our country or the world, other than protect my own and train them like wise, I also feel the media is nothing more than a remote control to our thoughts and that even people that think they are above it, if they partake in any form of media interaction they themselves are nothing more than messengers of it all, again my personal thoughts I am sure most would disagree.

Anyway I would sooner see posts on how to make or cook or preserve you know the shit that will perhaps keep us alive.

Anyway sorry all wnc is staying put.HeartTongue
19 July 2012, 22:45,
Phew! Sounds good to me.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 July 2012, 01:29,
I know where WNC is coming from.
We can spend the rest of our lives continually working towards something which may never happen.
I dont want to live that way , and set myself some targets which may not be anywhere close to what is a realistic level of prep , but which I feel is enough for me to survive with, till I 'acquire' the rest , one way or another..

My targets were

Work out where I want to go and what I will need when there.
If I need it - what is the best I can get in a price range I can afford.

Prioritise those things on a 'daily need' basis and acquire accordingly.

Re-evaluate what skills I needed to sharpen up on

Re-evaluate other kit which may not be useful until initial SHTFannery has died down...
i.e my comms ( My initial thoughts were - rely on my wideband scanner / radio , as I didn't want to light myself up broadcasting )
water storage / power - I still need to work out how I'm going to do this.
water is plentiful , batteries I have , I am thinking solar / charging here , and I may also try and look at early water-mill designs and see how I can look at them on a power gen basis.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
21 July 2012, 16:01,
(19 July 2012, 15:30)WetandCold Wrote:
(19 July 2012, 14:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: W&C,

What we all aspire to.

SD

If it helps SD I was 22 stone in February and by end of May I reached 18 stone, bear in mind I am of big frame, but 4 stone in just under 3 months and I eat and drank so no starvation/water weight loss here.

My new goal is 16 stone by Xmas and then 15 and a half and at this stage I will start weights again something I have not done in many years, I was always very active in life training arts of many sorts, I just let middle age take over and I lost the plot for 10 years. (also I took injury from a moped crash and a fight)

Great to hear mate! Little tip though - don't wait for the weights Smile
Muscle is metabolically expensive ie. it burns calories just to exist. 1lb of muscle adds 50-100 calories to your basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories you would burn in a day at rest).
Muscle is your best friend when trying to lose FAT (which is what you should be focusing on, not weight which can consist of muscle, water and even bone density).
This is why I die a little inside every time I hear of people starving themselves to lose weight. They lose muscle, which just makes their job even harder and forces them to starve themselves further to keep losing weight because their metabolism drops through the floor.

Don't focus on weight. Focus on health, strength and body composition. If you get those right, your weight will naturally be exactly where it should be.
21 July 2012, 18:29,
I was considering doing light weights more reps more so a cardio style training but I was just worried I would not lose weight once I start doing it,

(I tried last year, weight loss with weight training, but I failed to lose weight I felt very strong though just no weight loss, I was over doing the training lifting heavy instead of light)

I feel as long as the power walking is working I should go with it, I am watching my metabolism and I feel it is stable or constant; I eat small around 8 times a day and drink throughout.

In one camp friends are saying, mart, whatever weight you plan to stay at then start your weights, (I am not looking for bodybuilder body), but other friends are saying start weights like you have said, even been suggested I do a no salt, lots of water and wrap up, light weight cardio rep training, to burn fats fast. (black bag bit of rope in back garden on multi gym) what do you think about that?

I am not afraid to lose weight fast as I have been active all my life. I think my 4 stone loss in 3 months with 8 meals a day (no negative weight loss; starvation/water) shows that my body will accept the punishment even after 10 years out of the game, which happens to be the amount of time I left city for country life, I just slowed down everything, I not long had my ticker checked, and was told I am good to go so no worries there, so far the only health problem is nothing fits me anymore.

I never shared mate’s interest in weight training or power lifting, although I have done weights but more at home not down the gym like they did, so I am at the mercy of others when it comes to muscle building.

I am going to give my walking until the end of the month, and then I might have to look to light weight training as well to help lose the last few stone, I know I should have mixed it up and not done one type training but as I said it has worked so well I stuck with it.

Can I ask how advance are you in fitness training and weight loss management, it sounds like good advice you gave.
30 August 2012, 12:44,
(21 July 2012, 18:29)Nemesis Wrote: I was considering doing light weights more reps more so a cardio style training but I was just worried I would not lose weight once I start doing it,

(I tried last year, weight loss with weight training, but I failed to lose weight I felt very strong though just no weight loss, I was over doing the training lifting heavy instead of light)

I feel as long as the power walking is working I should go with it, I am watching my metabolism and I feel it is stable or constant; I eat small around 8 times a day and drink throughout.

In one camp friends are saying, mart, whatever weight you plan to stay at then start your weights, (I am not looking for bodybuilder body), but other friends are saying start weights like you have said, even been suggested I do a no salt, lots of water and wrap up, light weight cardio rep training, to burn fats fast. (black bag bit of rope in back garden on multi gym) what do you think about that?

I am not afraid to lose weight fast as I have been active all my life. I think my 4 stone loss in 3 months with 8 meals a day (no negative weight loss; starvation/water) shows that my body will accept the punishment even after 10 years out of the game, which happens to be the amount of time I left city for country life, I just slowed down everything, I not long had my ticker checked, and was told I am good to go so no worries there, so far the only health problem is nothing fits me anymore.

I never shared mate’s interest in weight training or power lifting, although I have done weights but more at home not down the gym like they did, so I am at the mercy of others when it comes to muscle building.

I am going to give my walking until the end of the month, and then I might have to look to light weight training as well to help lose the last few stone, I know I should have mixed it up and not done one type training but as I said it has worked so well I stuck with it.

Can I ask how advance are you in fitness training and weight loss management, it sounds like good advice you gave.

Sorry bud, I completely missed your reply.
I'll try and break down your post and reply to it in bits (excerpts from your post are in bold, my reply is below them):

"(I tried last year, weight loss with weight training, but I failed to lose weight I felt very strong though just no weight loss, I was over doing the training lifting heavy instead of light)"

This is very common amongst people new to weight training. You need to remember that muscle is heavier than fat, and if you're getting stronger then your muscles WILL be getting larger and/or denser. This means that if you're staying at a constant weight while adding extra muscle weight, your body composition is changing and you are almost certainly losing some fat.
This is one of the main reasons for people giving up too soon - they see improvements in the weights they can lift and their overall health and wellbeing, but they don't see the change on the scales so they assume it's not "working".

"I feel as long as the power walking is working I should go with it, I am watching my metabolism and I feel it is stable or constant; I eat small around 8 times a day and drink throughout."

Absolutely right, but don't be disheartened when your results start to plateau (your weight loss slows to a halt), this is inevitable as your body adapts to the consistent stimulus of powerwalking. The key then is to mix up the variables - either change your exercise method slightly (I would recommend HIIT, high intensity interval training, google it), or adapt your diet. 90% of weightloss takes place in the kitchen, not the gym.

"In one camp friends are saying, mart, whatever weight you plan to stay at then start your weights, (I am not looking for bodybuilder body),"

Not true at all, you can gain, lose or stay at a constant weight while weight training, and it mostly comes down to diet.
Professional bodybuilders go through cycles when preparing for a contest - they will go through a bulking phase in the off season, where they lift very heavy and eat everything in sight to gain muscle, then they go through a cutting phase where they simply introduce more cardio work, keep their weight training almost exactly the same and put themselves on a very strict, high protein diet. Often "carb cycling" (google it).
Weight training has a rightful place in every exercise regime no matter what your goals are, it's quite simply THE best way to make positive changes to your body both aesthetically and health-wise.

"but other friends are saying start weights like you have said, even been suggested I do a no salt, lots of water and wrap up, light weight cardio rep training, to burn fats fast. (black bag bit of rope in back garden on multi gym) what do you think about that?"

This will help you burn more calories than usual simply because it will keep you hotter. But it's not something I would recommend because it will cause you to lose water weight and dehydrate you. That water weight will naturally go straight back on as you take in fluids and your body stores them.
People see boxers etc. using this method and assume it must be good, but they fail to realise that boxers only use it in the days running up to their weigh-in so they can lose that last bit of weight to reach their weight class. Many boxers who do this will gain 5-15lb between their weigh-in and the fight as their body rehydrates.

"I am going to give my walking until the end of the month, and then I might have to look to light weight training as well to help lose the last few stone, I know I should have mixed it up and not done one type training but as I said it has worked so well I stuck with it."

Definitely keep it up until it becomes less effective, but don't be "afraid" of heavy weights, it's much more effective than light weights as it burns more calories, is more suitable for gaining muscle (see my last post, 1lb of muscle = you burning an extra 50-100 calories per day!) and - here's the kicker - your metabolism STAYS raised for up to 24 hours afterwards.

"Can I ask how advance are you in fitness training and weight loss management, it sounds like good advice you gave."

Was a fitness instructor in various gyms for a couple of years, high intensity personal trainer for about a year. The changes I saw in my clients are among the things I'm most proud of in life.
30 August 2012, 13:35,
My wife said to me NR, you are very out of shape
I said " Hey round is a shape !!!