Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas cylinder wood burner
24 July 2012, 18:39,
Gas cylinder wood burner
I've just cut out the door and next job is welding on hinges and a latch to keep the cut out bit back where it came from.
The thing I'm now starting to wonder is, do I need to cut any holes below the grate to allow enough air in when the door is shut or will it burn well enough without? I'm just looking for warmth, not an infurno!
Has anyone else made one or have any experience of one?
24 July 2012, 19:05,
RE: Gas cylinder wood burner
(24 July 2012, 18:39)Dorset Lad Wrote: I've just cut out the door and next job is welding on hinges and a latch to keep the cut out bit back where it came from.
The thing I'm now starting to wonder is, do I need to cut any holes below the grate to allow enough air in when the door is shut or will it burn well enough without? I'm just looking for warmth, not an infurno!
Has anyone else made one or have any experience of one?

can we have some pics palSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
24 July 2012, 19:32,
Cant you find a small engineering company or a local garage to do the cutting and welding?
Failure is NOT an option
24 July 2012, 22:23, (This post was last modified: 24 July 2012, 22:26 by Hrusai.)
(24 July 2012, 19:32)uks Wrote: Cant you find a small engineering company or a local garage to do the cutting and welding?

surely its better to do it yourself and learn the skills!
heres an ible i found on making a wood gas bottle burner Smile

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gas-Bottle-Wood-Burner/
its even got an air regulator to adjust heat Smile
25 July 2012, 19:52, (This post was last modified: 25 July 2012, 19:58 by Dorset Lad.)
The welding and cutting is no problem, I restore classic cars as a hobby.
The bit I'm not sure about is how much air is needed under the grate.
I'll take some pics next time I'm working on it.
Thanks for the link Hrusai, It has given me some ideas for an air regulator.

PS If you think Dorchester and Yeovil are s**t holes, you should try Weymouth! Especially now half of it is closed for the olympics.
25 July 2012, 22:27,
(25 July 2012, 19:52)Dorset Lad Wrote: The welding and cutting is no problem, I restore classic cars as a hobby.
The bit I'm not sure about is how much air is needed under the grate.
I'll take some pics next time I'm working on it.
Thanks for the link Hrusai, It has given me some ideas for an air regulator.

PS If you think Dorchester and Yeovil are s**t holes, you should try Weymouth! Especially now half of it is closed for the olympics.

awh man dont even get me started on weymouth, its probably the biggest shithole out of the 3! i think it still has the highest teen pregnancy rate in europe for fucks sake Tongue

classic cars!!! omfg you lucky guy, im so jealous right now xD im planning on doing up an original mini some day in the next year or so ^^ so i may have to ask you for some tips on that!

glad that link has helped Smile i thought it was pretty nifty, if your looking for cool projects that site is a goldmine! and they probably have many more guides on gas cannister wood burners, if i was you i'd check out a few different ones and see how they all regulate the air flow, personally i'd either go with the idea that was on that link...or i'd cut a couple of holes near the bottom on either side, and install a couple of lever operated flaps, that way the air will be sucked in at the bottom, and then combusted, creating a decent flow through going up the chimney, also you could adjust how much air and therfore heat by shutting either just one or even both

heres a random picture i found [Image: burner01.jpg]
http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/woodburners.htm
and a link for what its referring to Smile its a pretty cool website!
27 July 2012, 17:10,
(25 July 2012, 19:52)Dorset Lad Wrote: The bit I'm not sure about is how much air is needed under the grate.
Most fires have some form of (dedicated) air intake and some means to adjust how much air gets through it.
It's common to open up the air intake to get the fire burning and then close it down to slow the fire down to make the fuel last longer.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
15 October 2012, 23:03,
Here is one I made earlier in the year. Two bottles, top of one chopped off, bottom of other chopped off, welded together for the hight, door cut and hole for chimney. Welded a baffle in the top so exhaust gases are driven towards the front then have to go to the back to go up the chimney. There is a scaffold bar I cut and welded into a kind of Z shape, but with the middle bit vertical - goes out of the back of the stove.

On lighting, I keep the door open, once it gets hot, close the door and the heat inside pulls in air through the scaffold for a re-burn just below the baffle. Door leaks enough for primary burn, was going to make it seal with fire rope and make an air inlet on the front but then thought 'Why, it works and as it is not coming in the house not going to worry about CO leakage'.

Depending on what is going on in the greenhouse in winter and spring, that is when it will be getting used. Would have made an open vented boiler too but do not have the time or the need to warrant using the time.

All of the paint is burnt off now, I may clean it up and put some stove paint on. I may not.

[Image: 2e1ulb6.jpg]