Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PPE Assessment
24 July 2012, 22:34, (This post was last modified: 24 July 2012, 22:36 by Paul.)
PPE Assessment
Seeing as though we're all a bit twitchy about forthcoming events, I thought I'd get my PPE out and check I was covered for any possible C.B.R.N. events.
My equipment is basic and covers Respiration, Eyes, Ears, Contamination, Physical protection.

My kit consists of:-
4 FFP3 masks
1 Fire Hood
2 Snap off 30ml eye wash bottles

4 Pairs Foam Ear plugs

1 pair swimming goggles
1 pair wrap round clear safety glasses
1 pair wrap round polarised sunglasses

1 Hooded Waterproof Cape
1 Pair Waterproof Leggings
1 Pair Waterproof Gaiters
1 Roll Low tack adhesive tape (For sealing wrists and ankles)
6 Pairs Nitrile Gloves,
6 Pairs Thin disposable plastic gloves

1 Bump Cap
1 Pair Heavy Work gloves
1 Pair Heavy weight rubber work gloves
1 Pair Elbow Pads
1 Pair Knee Pads
1 Pair Work Boots

Have I got the basics covered guys and girls?

I forgot my 2 pairs of disposable hooded overalls.

26 July 2012, 10:26,
RE: PPE Assessment
I've been trying to find a blown air hood for the little 'un that doesn't cost hundreds of pounds. The masks don't seal correctly so that's the only option I can see. If you know of anything else I could use for a 16 month old then please let me know!

Looks like a good set-up. Got a decontamination area (or plastic sheeting to make one) if necessary? and all the disinfectant to scrub yourself down with?
26 July 2012, 17:01,
Buy some bulk boxes of N95 disposable masks, they will fly off the shelves at the first news of a pandemic.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
26 July 2012, 17:07, (This post was last modified: 26 July 2012, 17:19 by Hrusai.)
(26 July 2012, 10:26)00111001 Wrote: I've been trying to find a blown air hood for the little 'un that doesn't cost hundreds of pounds. The masks don't seal correctly so that's the only option I can see. If you know of anything else I could use for a 16 month old then please let me know!

Looks like a good set-up. Got a decontamination area (or plastic sheeting to make one) if necessary? and all the disinfectant to scrub yourself down with?

this sort of thing??

https://forgesurvivalsupply.com/my-cart/...directed=1
also i'd add some disposable overalls to that list paul Smile

im currently trying to find some that are chemical resistant and air tight
well 3m's line of disposable coveralls seem to be pretty decent!

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/120903722...sbar&cbt=y

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/...Coveralls/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-OF-25-NEW-D...171&_uhb=1

pack of 25 decent coveralls

and a very nice high quality "tactical" hazmat suit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuPont-Tychem-Ha...414wt_1037
oh and if your beardy and wear glasses or even if your not, heres a nice respirator
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-Full-...sim_misc_4
26 July 2012, 18:16,
Blown Air Hoods Ummm.
I had thought about high tech and also using cartridge filter 1/2 or full face respirators before settling on FFP3 use once and chuck away.
Certainly they are a lot better than what I chose.

The problem is how I evaluate buying kit.
Effectiveness is important of course but there are loads of ways to do the same thing so ultimately is what I've chosen effective AND cost effective?

Spares. If normality ceases, can I get what I need (for example filter cartridges for a mask) from local sources?
If money ceases, how can I buy anything?
If all my gear comes mail order and there is no mail, what happens then?

Covert, I love being a grey man.
In this case, no-one would think twice about a guy donning a FFP3 mask in an emergency.
Pull a 1/2 or full face respirator out and you're going to attract attention.
In todays climate, looking too prepared could turn nasty from others and TPTB on duty at that time.

So that's why I've gone low tech regarding face masks.
Once back at home, my box of 20 spares should last me a while.

26 July 2012, 18:44, (This post was last modified: 26 July 2012, 19:01 by 00111001.)
Hrusai Wrote:this sort of thing??

https://forgesurvivalsupply.com/my-cart/...directed=1

Not initially, but that's fucking great! Looks a bit gimp-ish, but what a superb idea. Never seen those before, bit pricey but I'll see if I can order one

Hrusai Wrote:oh and if your beardy and wear glasses or even if your not, heres a nice respirator
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-Full-...sim_misc_4

Yes, both bearded and spectogoggled. You can use vaseline on your beard to get a proper seal on your gas mask, but I don't suppose I'd get time to grease up first.
@Paul. Yeah, I've got a couple of the N95 masks in my FAK, very handy things. The FFP3 masks look better though, so I'll get some of those. This is for my 16 month old though. He'll just take the thing off.
26 July 2012, 19:44,
well ill keep it in mind binary! if i find anything decent ill be sure to post it!

heh beardy specto man, somehow thats catchier than binary xD.....vaseline for beards xD dear lord...i think the thing about that respirator is meant to be big enough for a non lubed beard xD

hmmm if he just takes it off, gaffa tape it to him! works for my cats when i wanna put a hat on them xD...or a fake beard o.O (needless to say i get bored Tongue)

@paul i guess its down to how you rate value for money, personally i look at it like a triangle, if it has 2 parts its worth it....so i rate quality, longevity and cost, if you got all three its a veritable bargain! just 2 and its value for money Smile

also a disaster that warrants such breathign apparatus usually disappates within days-weeks so any of these options should last long enough! of course you should always have disposable anyway, redundancy as well as they'll make for amazing bartering items!

as for covert, i can fault you there, personally i either just avoid people...but i'd wear a shemagh over my respirator and goggles anyway, not just to hide them but to filter out larger particles that'll clog up the filters quicker Smile

it also depends to where your bugging out and how much you've pre prepared the site, if you already have stocks ready there you can cut bits out your bob like some of the more obscure tools like hammers and the like, cause they're already there, making room for a spare set of filters...as well as a stock at your BOL....but if you dont have either the time or resources to pre prepare the site ready for extended living and various eventualities then you probably better off with a bunch of disposables Smile
27 July 2012, 12:14,
(26 July 2012, 17:01)Tibbs735 Wrote: Buy some bulk boxes of N95 disposable masks, they will fly off the shelves at the first news of a pandemic.

thanks for that, just added N95 masks to my shopping listBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 July 2012, 07:35,
Little disgress from masks to PPE boots.
How many of you wear PPE boots out of the work environment?

Both SWMBO and I wear work boots as the norm. Steels, both of us.
We went through a long selection of hiking boots and army style footwear but there is nowt as comfy or as safe as a pair of chukka work boots.
It made sense to us as working boots are designed to be worn in all weathers, conditions, and places. Yet, unlike the others, they remain cheap and cheerful.

I need ankle support, heck I need total leg support and that's another story.
Yet the extra weight (4-5 oz) of the steel is not a factor. The support is great.

When out and about, I must have a magnet inside me that always finds the only bit of wood with a nail in or a coiled up length of rusty barbed wire.
Then for some daft reason that escapes me, I always try to impale my foot on it.
Since wearing work boots with instep protection I've been fine.
It follows that in a disaster, broken buildings, rubble, I'm going to be safer walking round than a posh named pair of hiking boots.

SWMBO wears them when out with the dog and round town. The why was an idiot with a pushchair laden with groceries running over her toes and bruising them so bad she couldn't walk for a week. That wearing hiking boots.
Add dog walking in winter mud and it was a no brainer.
Then, one day, when cutting the grass, the mower ran over her foot. Stalled the motor, cut the leather, but that was it.
£20 for a new pair of boots and a thick ear for me.
Like I said, no brainer.