Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bicycle generated power
27 July 2012, 16:53,
RE: Bicycle generated power
awh dont get me wrong its a terribly inefficient process, but long term its reliable and we know it works, i know its used in various places and it wouldnt be my first choice by a long shot, but its simple to do and would make for a good solution in the long term, and i'd rather have a little bit of electricity then let any go to waste that could be useful!
27 July 2012, 16:57,
(27 July 2012, 16:30)Lightspeed Wrote: Next question will be power generated. I fear that pulling a big alternator of a deisel Merc for example would be an error.
Good question and I don't know for sure however I suspect that you'd be OK.
What I think will happen is that while you're turning the alternator slowly the Voltage it's producing is less than the Voltage of the battery so there is no load over and above the internal losses of the alternator. As you get up to the speed where the Voltage of the alt is just-and-no-more exceeding the voltage of the Battery you get a small amount of additional load. More speed = more Voltage = more load.
So you should be able to find a speed that’s comfortable to pedal at that produces useful power.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
27 July 2012, 17:25,
(27 July 2012, 16:57)Skvez Wrote:
(27 July 2012, 16:30)Lightspeed Wrote: Next question will be power generated. I fear that pulling a big alternator of a deisel Merc for example would be an error.
Good question and I don't know for sure however I suspect that you'd be OK.
What I think will happen is that while you're turning the alternator slowly the Voltage it's producing is less than the Voltage of the battery so there is no load over and above the internal losses of the alternator. As you get up to the speed where the Voltage of the alt is just-and-no-more exceeding the voltage of the Battery you get a small amount of additional load. More speed = more Voltage = more load.
So you should be able to find a speed that’s comfortable to pedal at that produces useful power.

Yep, Gearing and maximum human consistent power output come to mind.

Fascinating stuff though, no??

Gotta go now otherwise Mrs LS will be exering some energy on me!!!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 18:13,
this is one of my favourite threads on the site i think Big Grin....more research is needed, but we've got some pretty viable ideas down Big Grin