Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LS Advice again please
31 July 2012, 21:13, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2012, 21:15 by Lightspeed.)
RE: LS Advice again please
(31 July 2012, 20:37)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(31 July 2012, 19:13)The Local Ned Wrote: I think the distinction needs to be made whether we are talking about using . overpowered multiband transceivers after society drops out or as using it as a regular comms device - right now in the present.....

Question, and its a genuine one, Why would we need overpowered multi ban transcievers NOW ??, We have phones, E mail, faxes, Internet etc.
It when the networks fail that will be the time we need the dogs doodles of kit isnt it ?

If we can get EU / UK compliant CBs NOW,that can be tweeked or unlocked WHEN TSHTF must surely be the sensible route / (i'm asking not telling BTW )

Our Hamburgers are apparently now advising is to forget 28 to 30 MHZ and stick with 26 to 28 Mhz AM and FM, Plus PMR 446.

C'mon there must be one hand held unit that does UK /EU 27 FM and AM with PMR 446 in it? and that should suffice for most uses cept bloody long range stuff.

If I understand my learned chums properly 4 watts AM and FM on 26-28 MHZ piped through a big twig on my roof should give me the 15 miles I need to cover my AOO ? Yes ? No ?
LS the soldier in me is screaming " ONE RADIO" not a collection for different jobs Smile, Its one of the oldest demands the military calls for, one tool that will do multiple roles, and in the prepper world MONEY must also be a consideration. One radio with one or two aerials covering those essential frequencies you say we need

27 Mhz UK
27 Mhz EU
PMR 446

OK, but I think strategically not radiologically that the less radios we have and the more portable they are the better, So one type of mobile for foot patrol / reccing, and one for vehiocle mounting / home base, that has to be feasable?
Paul I agree less is more, A good basic sensible and affordable, easy to use radio is ideal, I can see and accept both your and LS's advice on sticking with 40 UK 40 EU 4 watt ( though I would prefer 10 watt), and I also agree with the PMR 446 if neccesary ( but not .5 watt)

But I think think most preppers want multiple radios for different duties, if we are going to adopt PMR 446 for short range stuff it should be incorporated into the basic CB units , doncha think?
Had a look at the Anytone 5555 its to bloody big for anything cept a home base station, i want somefink like a small CB unit that will do the 80 CB and the PMR 446.

Hi NY,

I think your blood pressure is rising young man :-)

Yes there are radios taht will cover allof the bands and at the power you are looking for.

See the you tube of a man pack that i sent to TLN a few days ago.

The radio is a Yaesu FT 857d if unlocked (like you're planning with teh Intek)

it'll put out user controllable power of 5w to 100w
it'll do all Ham HF Bands including the NVIS stuff we've been discussing.
Itll do all CB frequencies
It'll do 6meters
It'll do 2 meters
It'll do 70 cms
It'll do PMR446
Itll monitor Airband
It'll monitor Marine band and transmit on Marine VHF
It'll monotor all Shortwave and FM broadcast bands
It'll run AM/FM/SSB/ Morse and digital modes

It'll set you back 700 quid
It'll take you at least 3 months to master its controls

If you drop it on the floor, have a flood or a lightening strike after TSHTF it'll be the end of all of your radio comms. It will be ompossible to repair.

There are Icom and Kenwood radios that will do pretty much the same job. These are even more expensive.

Wanting everything in one box is understandable, but it is literally putting all of your eggs in one basket.

If you decide to go this route, I'll support you of course, but it'll be a steep learning curve, I promise you.

LS
How did manage to type NR as NY..... it must still be the shakes induced by fiancee walking me around jewelery shops looking at wedding rings this evening!!!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 21:20,
LS, I'm not asking for all singing all dancing kit, I think that as you and most others suggest we go with the 80 CB channels and PMR 446, simples, But what I am saying is it should ideally be in one unit, thats all.

I'm totally pissed off with this whole bloody subject its going nowhere fast, I'm having nothing more to do with the radio comms debate as it appears the hobbyists are trying to over complicate things AND work out operating procedures before we have agreed on frequencies and kit. I'm leaving this subject to the experts but I reckon it will die the death yet again.

31 July 2012, 21:28,
But I think think most preppers want multiple radios for different duties, if we are going to adopt PMR 446 for short range stuff it should be incorporated into the basic CB units , doncha think?
Had a look at the Anytone 5555 its to bloody big for anything cept a home base station, i want somefink like a small CB unit that will do the 80 CB and the PMR 446.
[/quote]

Hi NR

I missed your last point in my last reply.

the smallest all in one radio that I know of is the Yaesu FT817ND. Its pretty much a scaled down version of the FT 857 d that I mentionsed in last reply. Its a portable handbag sized radio with its own internal batteries and comes fitted with whip antennas for HF and VHF/UHF. Its power output is 5w maximum so you'll need additional amplifiers to get to the power levels you are looking for.

Aagin power is not the only way to get contacts. My license allows me to run up to 3 Kilowatts..... on a day to day basis I never use mre than 10w and I still make loads of contacts.

Power costs money and crucially in a grid down world it will eathuge amounts of electical power reserves.

Each to his own, but I'm sticking with low power in my preps as I can neuther afford nor justify the generating equipment needed to support high power communications.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 21:34,
I would only go for an absolute max power of about 10 watts AFTER TSHTF, 4 or 5 watts would be more than enough for pre collapse networking. I'm going to put up a much better twig at home to gain the benefits you ladies advise. However I'm completely out of my depth on this subject so I'll just leave it alone for now. but ta to all for the advice.

31 July 2012, 21:35,
NS

you may not think that what you are asking for is all singing and all dancing but in terms of whats available in the market that's exactly what you're asking for.

Best chance of such a device will come from the Chineese manufaturers looking to create an added value nich market. Probably a long shot, but ill keep an eye open in taht direction.

Absoutely I am not trying to complicate thinks, quite the reverse. That is why the one radio for one purpose route is being followed.

Theres is some momentum for a survivor radio network now. We are at last on the road to achieving somthing workable.

Gotat go now SWMBO is starting to look at wedding ring catalogues again:-(

seeya

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 21:37,
looked at the Yaesu FT817ND, no use to me at all mon ami, to expensive, to complicated and not what is needed.

A simple 80 CH CB with PMR 446 innit, thats all I reckon we need.

YES get married, every man should get married, after all why should you bachellors be happy !!! Smile

31 July 2012, 21:42,
(31 July 2012, 21:37)NorthernRaider Wrote: looked at the Yaesu FT817ND, no use to me at all mon ami, to expensive, to complicated and not what is needed.

A simple 80 CH CB with PMR 446 innit, thats all I reckon we need.

YES get married, every man should get married, after all why should you bachellors be happy !!! Smile

Hi NR,

I wasn't trying to be awkward. I guessed that the Yaesu's would be inappropriate, but you kinda tweaked my tail with your request for an all in one box affair.

I suppose that if you were really desperate you could fit a PMR446 into the case of a larger Mobile CB and get around it that way, but not much point in that I feel.

Still a happy batchelor for a little while yet, and then I'll become a happily married man for the first time in my life!!!

Night night

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 21:48,
I know your not being awkward, I'm p[rolly putting you under lots of pressure, which isnt really fair of me Smile Sorry.

Happily and Married are words that should never be used in the same sentence, I'm been encarcerated for 35 years, I bloody knew I should have got an expiracy date on the wedding licence. Married is an institution, who wants to live in an institution?

31 July 2012, 22:43,
First off - I'll apologise if by posting up things , it seems to be muddling things more. Blush
That isn't my intention of course.Sad

Don't know if I give the impression I'm a hobbyist NR , I was in my teens , but not for a long time now, and , like yourself , my mind is screaming, multi-purpose radios , because I'm sure my back will be - if I don't.

I don't want to have to lug around 3 different transceivers for 3 different uses . Unless you have the cash to afford them all , and a spine that will take the strain ,then alls well and good. none of this is meant as personal digs at anyone , I'm only trying to ask other preppers more knowledgeable in comms their opinions.

As a discussion regarding comms then this is a pretty limited debate , as radio comms - done correctly - does get technical , which is why we are debating the strengths and weaknesses of the various radios , bands , and antennas , trying to find a point where we can all agree - will be easy for a comms novice to setup and use.

CB is fine for what you may need it for , for me - geography is a major factor , which limits most comms except the amateur type of setup.

I do not want separate amateur and PMR radios , if I can get one that serves both freqs then thats what I will get , as it covers 2 of my needs - base to mobile comms , and mobile to mobile comms that base can also listen in on. The UVR-5 should cover that with a change of antennas.

Job done.

CBs I will look into once I have a routine setup at my B.O.L , hopefully I will have a multiband , high powered setup - which WILL allow me to pick up not only regional users ( and transmit to them too ) , but perhaps international too.
This should hopefully see me try to establish contact with other preppers , and hook-up with guys like yourself over the air mate.

I know how much this is stressing you mucker and like yourself , my army head is firmly on , I dont want to be tabbing up hills with 3 power sources , 2 base rigs , 4 different types of antenna etc etc etc.
Radios are very fragile items mate , the more shit you pack inside them , the more power they consume > more power = more heat = more chance you're gonna release the magic smoke from inside it.

So we have to compromise somewhere.

My compromise is not using CB as my day to day comms , 27Mhz in my area , and in my B.O.L ,may not be workable for a couple of reasons which I wont go into. I KNOW for a 100% fact that CB wont work for me , I've been there and done it , PMR has possibilities - for me.
A more advanced way of linking PMR handsets up WILL be usable , hence MY fascination for PMR446 Mhz.

Job done again.

Those Yaesu HAM rigs LS mentions are a one-stop-shop , but thats advanced HAM territory bud , beyond me , and I am good at this stuff.

Overall , In my opinion ,the whole Prepper net is an unworkable idea unless we all go on HAM equipment ,but I will play it safe - thats why my interest in high powered CB multiband rigs , rigs that I will know how to work WTSHTF and that have a chance of distance work.

Its been tried before in the 80s with breaker magazine on CB 27/81 UKFM 4 watts , and failed because one breaker 'keyed' the mike ( jammed on transmit ) and totally blocked the channel they were using , so the link-up failed , I think they tried it again and it failed again for other reasons , not sure on that , but its the main reason my activities are firmly focussed on a compromise HAM/PMR (base) > PMR (mobile) setup. The CB will become my early warning system , not my day to day comms system , PMR will do for that.

Once again - the individuals OWN needs/circumstances will dictate which comms they can use. No point in having a 4W CB walkie talkie if you're in the middle of the new forest.

@ NR - Big Grin Now dont tell me you aint beginning to understand , because by reading your posts, I know you are...you're beginning to suss out certain things regarding all this radio malarkey.

Roger so far over ? Tongue
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
31 July 2012, 23:14,
NR,
Unfortunately radio can get complicated simply because simple isn't good enough for some.

I've always favoured the CB all in one kit for novices.
Rig, magmount, and aerial, all in one box.
An example for you.

http://www.ttiuk.net/TTI-STP1-CB-Starter-Pack.2.html

Simple to set up, simple to use. This is my current home and car setup.
An experienced radio engineer using a novices start up pack!!HuhHuh
WTF, why?
Why is because it does exactly what I want a CB to do. The basics.

Your handheld is a good example and a damn good choice too. Smile
Ideal for the car.
Just add a mag-mounted aerial and car kit for your handheld.
Tune it in with a basic SWR meter http://www.maplin.co.uk/swr-100-cb-meter-99533
and a simple patch lead http://www.maplin.co.uk/pl-259-patch-lead-32898
It's ideal when hiking too.
Battery charging? A Simple solar panel type.
After all you're only charging 6 AA batteries.

The complication comes when someone wants their "straight out of the box" gear to perform like professonal radio equipment and at megger high powers.

Big GrinBig Grin KEEP IT STUPIDLY SIMPLE Big GrinBig Grin

CB for me is a time proven system that works and as it's not broken, do what I do, DON'T FIX IT!