Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivor dilemma
3 December 2012, 21:44,
RE: Survivor dilemma
After tshtf and then however long afterwards for things to calm down people will start venturing out, and yeah will be very hard to trust people, but i think it would be useful to at least try and identify people, are they a rag covered husk of a former person staggering along starving. Or do they look a bit more healthy, armed perhaps, more organised, another possible prepper. Id certainly be a bit more inclined to trust someone if you could tell they had been a prepper before crap went bad. Problem is theres always going to be some out there that will be happy living as roving radiers essentialy, hijacking any trusting people they can for supplies, the trick is finding or being in a group big enough that you can look after each other aswell, its all very catch 22 the more i think about it lol

3 December 2012, 22:55,
I always try and compare what COULD happen here with what DID happen in the early pioneering years of the states.

The early settlers didn't know if the wagon and riders heading their way meant good or ill - one of the reasons the Americans love their firearms so much - its instilled by a long tradition of self-defence.

One bucket of water for a seemingly innocent traveller sometimes led to rape and murder , the more remote farming communities were preyed upon by roving bands of bandits etc.

There was no law to stem the violence.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen here , but I expect that as time goes on and supplies dwindle - those who are less prepared will start getting notions of attacking those of us who are.

Even lovey-dovey communes wont escape that , being nice to people will not make them automatically respect you , no matter how much medicines/food/supplies you have.

Those who are intelligent enough to survive and struggle through those early days (because of their preparations and plans) will be far more of a threat to any of you than the sheeple who will be dying off in their millions.

Unless you have previous contact with the individual(s) concerned ,I'd stay clear unless it is unavoidable.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
4 December 2012, 09:43,
Has anyone here considered getting to know the local firemen, builders, police, plumbers, carpenters, butchers, and the alike? It's great to have a network of preppers, but a network of people capable with greater skills than our own....well worth it.

For me, damn right I'm looking out for other people. I carry a FAK with me at all times, incase someone else get's injured.

This thread is similar to one I brought up a little while back. I see no rebuilding of society if it's only preppers that survive. We're so solitary, that what'll happen is a bunch of people will survive, then not meet up, when old age kicks in, they all die....alone. Personally, I plan on being semi-open about prepping and helping people. Won't be taking any crap from them. But I would be open to many people. If your plan is to come round and station at the Scythe13 residence, you'd be welcomed in....once you've stated your name from the forum. If you're not a forum person, then you'll be given a good show of force (look at all these people with guns you'll have against you if you try to f**k with us, or break the rules) during your Tour De S13-Home set up. Then it'll be a question of what they're interested in doing.

Sure there will be those that are raiders and scavengers, but they will likely be sifted out. ALL new members, even those from this forum, will be on constant watch. Any wrong move/behaviour/action could lead to expulsion from the group.

Will I be in charge? Only until someone better versed in running the whole system comes into place. Each function will have it's leader, e.g. farming, butchery, construction, security, emergency procedures, cooking, cleaning, power generation, etc. Each section should have someone in charge. I'd be overseeing the combination of activity, like a foreman on a building site. As soon as someone better than me at the job comes up....I'll be taking a back seat. I'm totally fine with that.

That's how I see the best outcome in most situations. The person that created the 'safe' zone should be in charge until a better alternative comes up. Each person with a skill should be in charge of their area of expertise.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 December 2012, 11:47,
To me Security is paramount, i will tell NO ONE i have food stores either now or after TSHTF, i'm just going to sit behind locked doors with blackouts in place(either bug in if safe or bug out if not) and wait for the sheeple to die either by starvation or by fighting amongst themselves, i shant be coming out of my hidey hole until it is safe to do so, isolation is the name of the game, ignore every one else and mind my own business.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 December 2012, 12:19,
Pile the pampered suburban clowns up to the sky...
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
5 December 2012, 00:37,
(4 December 2012, 11:47)bigpaul Wrote: To me Security is paramount, i will tell NO ONE i have food stores either now or after TSHTF, i'm just going to sit behind locked doors with blackouts in place(either bug in if safe or bug out if not) and wait for the sheeple to die either by starvation or by fighting amongst themselves, i shant be coming out of my hidey hole until it is safe to do so, isolation is the name of the game, ignore every one else and mind my own business.

Right there with you BP. 100% agree.

Respect only works if its both ways , show someone a caring gentle environment and they'll try and find some way to exploit it to their own advantage.

I see it like a game of poker , there's no point in showing someone whats in your hand - they'll only take advantage of you. My doors will be closed for everyone except close friends and family , and even then - they won't get to see half of what I have , or half of what I can do.

Survival after TSHTF will be on an 'every man for himself' basis in my book.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
5 December 2012, 09:28,
(5 December 2012, 00:37)The Local Ned Wrote:
(4 December 2012, 11:47)bigpaul Wrote: To me Security is paramount, i will tell NO ONE i have food stores either now or after TSHTF, i'm just going to sit behind locked doors with blackouts in place(either bug in if safe or bug out if not) and wait for the sheeple to die either by starvation or by fighting amongst themselves, i shant be coming out of my hidey hole until it is safe to do so, isolation is the name of the game, ignore every one else and mind my own business.

Right there with you BP. 100% agree.

Respect only works if its both ways , show someone a caring gentle environment and they'll try and find some way to exploit it to their own advantage.

I see it like a game of poker , there's no point in showing someone whats in your hand - they'll only take advantage of you. My doors will be closed for everyone except close friends and family , and even then - they won't get to see half of what I have , or half of what I can do.

Survival after TSHTF will be on an 'every man for himself' basis in my book.

I add my vote to Neds and Pauls
NR

5 December 2012, 13:02,
(3 December 2012, 22:55)The Local Ned Wrote: I always try and compare what COULD happen here with what DID happen in the early pioneering years of the states.

The early settlers didn't know if the wagon and riders heading their way meant good or ill - one of the reasons the Americans love their firearms so much - its instilled by a long tradition of self-defence.

One bucket of water for a seemingly innocent traveller sometimes led to rape and murder , the more remote farming communities were preyed upon by roving bands of bandits etc.

There was no law to stem the violence.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen here , but I expect that as time goes on and supplies dwindle - those who are less prepared will start getting notions of attacking those of us who are.

Even lovey-dovey communes wont escape that , being nice to people will not make them automatically respect you , no matter how much medicines/food/supplies you have.

Those who are intelligent enough to survive and struggle through those early days (because of their preparations and plans) will be far more of a threat to any of you than the sheeple who will be dying off in their millions.

Unless you have previous contact with the individual(s) concerned ,I'd stay clear unless it is unavoidable.

Good points TLN

I agree with you entirely, and especially about survivors after initial die out being a threat.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 December 2012, 13:21,
well, so thats 4 of us in agreement!Big Grin keep shtum and dont let the buggers have anything!TongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.