Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
5 August 2012, 22:14,
RE: Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
Something else I forgot to mention - a lot of the unlocking software I've used on phones is only really 100% compatible with Windows XP...something we should actually look into here when buying 'unlockable' UV-5Rs.

Even compatibility mode sometimes freezes halfway through an unlock or a flash.

TLN
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
5 August 2012, 22:28,
Ned oddly enough I was just looking at some dual band rigs on the Thunderpole site and noted that many have one set of somewhat limited frequency ranges on UK models but they can easily be reprogrammed via a PC to expand the range quite a good amount.

Who knows sooner or later I may find a dual rig that is PMR 446 and CB or 11 meters that has a BNC socket, more than 4 watts and does not require a degree to operate !!! Smile

5 August 2012, 23:33,
LMFAO.

More chance of getting a free drink down the NAAFI mate !
Meant to put this up before - its a basic idea of what a 'repeater' does..the 1 / 31 thing is the channels , when you use a repeater it will alter the ch on the rx end...I think Big Grin

It extends the usable range covered greatly.

[Image: duplexexplain.gif]
6 August 2012, 07:06,
TLN,

there are also available full duplex and simplex ( parrot repeater modules)

Attached is a document with details of a parrot repeater.

The parrot repeater box connects to a hand held radio. The radio receives a message which is recorded onto a max 30 secind memory in the Parrot, which then replays it to the handhels which retransmits the message.

Hiding the Parrot on the top of a tall building / on a hilltop that can be reached from your base area will greatly inc+rease the range of your handheld.

This will work for any radio that has VOX transmit capability..... PMR, Ham , or CB

This type of controller can be switched on an off remotely if you have DTMF enabled upling handhelds ( I think the UV5R has DTMF?) This is good for OPSEC and also current consumption.

Lots of intersting possibilities using this technology.

For OPSEC such a device could be accesses on uplink using an LPD frequency at ultra low power, which then gets retransmitted from the remote location. This would make tracking the original transmission less straightforward.

A similar solution using two pmr(type?) radios wired back to back would also work...... mounted in a waterproof ABS box with backup power and external Solar cells to charge the unit, this could be small, easily disguised and easily hideable for long periods at remote locations. Access using CTCSS or DCS coded would restrict usage allowing you semi private use of the device.

Attached Files
.docx   Parrot Repeater Radio Tone.docx (Size: 831.06 KB / Downloads: 2)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 August 2012, 07:11,
(6 August 2012, 07:06)Lightspeed Wrote: TLN,

there are also available full duplex and simplex ( parrot repeater modules)

Attached is a document with details of a parrot repeater.

The parrot repeater box connects to a hand held radio. The radio receives a message which is recorded onto a max 30 secind memory in the Parrot, which then replays it to the handhels which retransmits the message.

Hiding the Parrot on the top of a tall building / on a hilltop that can be reached from your base area will greatly inc+rease the range of your handheld.

This will work for any radio that has VOX transmit capability..... PMR, Ham , or CB

This type of controller can be switched on an off remotely if you have DTMF enabled upling handhelds ( I think the UV5R has DTMF?) This is good for OPSEC and also current consumption.

Lots of intersting possibilities using this technology.

For OPSEC such a device could be accesses on uplink using an LPD frequency at ultra low power, which then gets retransmitted from the remote location. This would make tracking the original transmission less straightforward.

A similar solution using two pmr(type?) radios wired back to back would also work...... mounted in a waterproof ABS box with backup power and external Solar cells to charge the unit, this could be small, easily disguised and easily hideable for long periods at remote locations. Access using CTCSS or DCS coded would restrict usage allowing you semi private use of the device.

Bit high tech isn't this LS.
Besides, there are naughty people out there called hams that love to DF "rogue gear" and leave it smashed to pieces for a laugh.

6 August 2012, 07:19,
Hi Paul,

......Besides, there are naughty people out there called hams that love to DF "rogue gear" and leave it smashed to pieces for a laugh.

I've never heard of such a thing! Its completely scandellous!

Seriously, yes its a little complex, and I propose it as a spost SHTF solution, when folk will have betterthings to do than fox hunting other peoples equipment. In teh Post SHTF environment going near to such a device would be very dangerous and it could be used as bait to pull you into the firing line of a sniper. Far fetched, i know, but in a grid down, un regulated world, such things will be possible.

I for one would not like to go fiddling with any of NR's equipment!!!!

LS

[/quote]

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 August 2012, 07:52,
Sure he would'nt like it either, the fiddling bit anyway!

Two hams got "hurt" on the Malverns mid 80's for fox hunting a transmitter.
It wasn't the guys who debagged them though, it was our women.
They never came back for some reason.
6 August 2012, 08:09,
(6 August 2012, 07:52)Paul Wrote: Sure he would'nt like it either, the fiddling bit anyway!

Two hams got "hurt" on the Malverns mid 80's for fox hunting a transmitter.
It wasn't the guys who debagged them though, it was our women.
They never came back for some reason.

How horrible....

I hope the women didn't fiddle with their equipment!!!

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 August 2012, 03:16,
Hi Paul.

Yeah mate , its kinda technogeekery , but it's an idea I've been batting around using LS and yourself as a soundboard.

I think its workable if I use basic handsets like the baofeng bf888s to act as repeaters.
Simplex vox will be fine for me LS ,I've no real need to have simultaneous comms a la phone line.

Also been checking out FRN gateways....
7 August 2012, 06:32,
TLN

Yes I think that simplex vox will work in most situations.

Lowest cost solution would be two HT's wired back to back and operating cross band. This may also be lowest power consumption, but i need to research this compared to the Parrot repeater solution.

The little UV3Rs and suchlike are very good for the receiver pert as they have very hot Digitally enhanced receivers. I have yet to play with one of these units that didn't have a hot receiver.

I got hold of one of the Boafeng BF-U3 UHF units specifically as an uplink receiver as its so simple. I have yet to check its standby poser consumption compared to a UV-3R. Its a good robust little rig, but as it is not field programmable it may not be ideal.

The parrot repeaters available on e-bay for a little under £60 look very interesting, and as the basis of a private repeater solution where we can control the duty cycle ( how much of the time the tranceiver transmits compared to receiving) they are very viable. This enables a single walkie talkie of any frequency band to be used, including normal PMRs, provided hey have VOX capability.. The DTMF on off feature allows a remote radio with DTMF code capability, like the UV5R to be able to turn the parrot on and off remotely.

I'm sure that this is already understood by you TLN, I've writen in greater detail to maybe spark ideas in the heads of others looking for wider range a solution. or simply to remote thier transmissions away from the BOL, for OPSEC
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580