Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
5 August 2012, 10:04,
Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
In my article on Radio Comms security you will note the great emphasis I place on the base stations security being maintain by the habit of frequent moving of the station to pre-reccied spots so if the nasty boogeymen came looking they could not triangulate onto your home.

That got me thinking (yes it does happen sometimes) I wonder if our techies IE Paul, LS, Martin etc could come up with a VERY simple pre tuned easy to erect and take down PORTABLE mobile base station aerial?

I know mobile and base station are normally two different things, but in this case being able to have your family or groups main base station as portable and reliable as possible for added security I think is a good thing.

Some of the techies mentioned a 1.5 meter mag mount on a biccy tin with four wire radials sticking out. I wonder if this concept could be modified to a more rugged and quickly packed / unpacked design.

EG Magmount onto say flat piece of powder covered steel plate no wider than say 15 to 18 inches by 15 to 18 inches square. the radial GP limbs rather than being vulnerable wire were simply 4 pre trimmed lengths of steel or alloy bar / tube hinged to the square plate. Easier just to fold up and secure with a bungy tie?

Whats the most simple, reliable and quickly set up portable base station aerial you guys can come up with for a NON vehicle mounted application ?

5 August 2012, 10:18,
RE: Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
Mount a 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8 wave, end fed dipole, on a 10metre FIBRE GLASS NOT CARBON FIBRE roach pole. Look up Tuned Transmission Line Trap antenna (T2LT) antennas for simple home brew antenna. Drive ground spike into earth, bungee the pole to a fence or tree for extra support.

I thought you'd given up on comms NR? Smile

5 August 2012, 10:19, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 10:23 by Lightspeed.)
NR,

you really do not let the grass grow do you???

The fastest temporary antennas for CB will be an end fed wire.

METHOD
15m to 20 of paracord with a sand filled water bottle on one end. Throw bottle over branch approx 7m high...paracord will follow.
Tie approx 6m of wire to end of paracord via small DIY insulator
Connect Wire to one of these (onto one of the wing nuts) see attachment.
If you are using the same piece of wire each time tuning will be pretty much in place anyway. But slight fiddling may be required.

Time to erect and get on air less than 5 mins.

Any good?
Ha ha, BoB beat me to it.

Pretty much the same thing 1/2 wave vertical. No counterpoises needed.

her version is pre-tuned but needs the fishing rod support.

My proposal will need tuning due to influence of nearby branches etc.

LS

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 10:29, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 10:38 by NorthernRaider.)
(5 August 2012, 10:18)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: Mount a 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8 wave, end fed dipole, on a 10metre FIBRE GLASS NOT CARBON FIBRE roach pole. Look up Tuned Transmission Line Trap antenna (T2LT) antennas for simple home brew antenna. Drive ground spike into earth, bungee the pole to a fence or tree for extra support.

I thought you'd given up on comms NR? Smile

For myself I have, but theres not just me to consider, we are a community and we must continiously look at ways of helping each other.
(5 August 2012, 10:19)Lightspeed Wrote: NR,

you really do not let the grass grow do you???

The fastest temporary antennas for CB will be an end fed wire.

METHOD
15m to 20 of paracord with a sand filled water bottle on one end. Throw bottle over branch approx 7m high...paracord will follow.
Tie approx 6m of wire to end of paracord via small DIY insulator
Connect Wire to one of these (onto one of the wing nuts) see attachment.
If you are using the same piece of wire each time tuning will be pretty much in place anyway. But slight fiddling may be required.

Time to erect and get on air less than 5 mins.

Any good?
Ha ha, BoB beat me to it.

Pretty much the same thing 1/2 wave vertical. No counterpoises needed.

her version is pre-tuned but needs the fishing rod support.

My proposal will need tuning due to influence of nearby branches etc.

LS

That design just does not cut it for me, it could be ideal for someone else, for example if I follow you chaps advice on broadcasting from hilltops etc, we up her theres almost no trees on the hilltops, and if I move to one of the few spots that is wooded its poor opsec.
Paracord, Sand filled water bottles, throwing 7 meters etc, OK perhaps in some situations but not in a security concious situation.

Try and imagine using a long Mag Mount, on a smallish plate that can SIT on the ground and does not require being driven into the ground, four GP radials just fold down or are clipped to the plate. A small battery from something like a house alarm box, CB handset with built in SWR meter all pretuned and perhaps being transported in a rucksack and plastic tube.

Aint got time to let the grass grow complacency kills preppers Smile

5 August 2012, 10:55,
but that's the thing isn't it with both comms and prepping in general NR ... each individual has to evaluate their own situation as SD is always saying. My comms solutions and LS's will not work for you but for many others it might! i have researched as much as possible and experimented to find the best for me because that is who I'm prepping for. Have you tried experimenting with your proposed solution? It sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about your results as one day I may find myself on that kind of terrain.

I'm glad you're still here in the comms thread NR Smile
5 August 2012, 11:08, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 11:12 by NorthernRaider.)
I was thinking of something ultra compact and man portable that would live in a back pack, 4 hinged pieces of 1 mm steel hinged togther to fold out to make a GP, plonk a Mag mount already SWRed onto it, connect to a rig and power by a small 12 volt battery. Compact SILENT to deploy, easy to conceal, quick to set up and in my case IDIOT proof Smile

Like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/7716071974/
(5 August 2012, 10:55)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: but that's the thing isn't it with both comms and prepping in general NR ... each individual has to evaluate their own situation as SD is always saying. My comms solutions and LS's will not work for you but for many others it might! i have researched as much as possible and experimented to find the best for me because that is who I'm prepping for. Have you tried experimenting with your proposed solution? It sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about your results as one day I may find myself on that kind of terrain.

I'm glad you're still here in the comms thread NR Smile

Yup and just so long we have some very talented Radio geeks like Paul and LS I will constantly wrack both my brain cells for ways of tapping into their expertise , then I will buy em some drinkies and hiopefully they will forgive me. BUT at the end of the day they have Knowledge and expertise that is desperately needed, and I want it documenting Evil Laugh and rubbing hands together Rolleyes

5 August 2012, 11:51,
Hi NR,

Magmount and steel plate sounds somewhat heavy for portable use. Ideal ground plane is 2.56 metres radius from the antenna, your idea will work, but performance will be compromosed.

I assumed that when portable you'd want equipment lightweight?

Attached is a diagram of a version of my patrol manpack. Not sure if I've posted this before? The pack has a metal frame which supports the antenns on a truck mirror rotatable mount. The frame acts as a viable groundplane.

The antenna described telescopes down to a couple of feet long robust glass fiber formed loading coil. simply connect the antenna to the rig, pull up the antenna and you are good to go.

Anopther fold out solution woule be an adapted clansman fold out antenna, these are very robust and durable.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 11:59,

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa NOW we are starting to think along the same or similar lines.
(1) You forgot to post the attachment
(2) Why cant I use your reccomended Syrio GL27 NGP aerial as a portable base station pre adjusted twig with just it fastened to somefink to keep it vertical ?
(3) Why cant I just screw a Syrio GL25 to the floor in my loft or to the fascia board outside my office ?

I know you have that which I seek and I''ll get it out of you and Paul yet.
Smile

(5 August 2012, 11:51)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi NR,

Magmount and steel plate sounds somewhat heavy for portable use. Ideal ground plane is 2.56 metres radius from the antenna, your idea will work, but performance will be compromosed.

I assumed that when portable you'd want equipment lightweight?

Attached is a diagram of a version of my patrol manpack. Not sure if I've posted this before? The pack has a metal frame which supports the antenns on a truck mirror rotatable mount. The frame acts as a viable groundplane.

The antenna described telescopes down to a couple of feet long robust glass fiber formed loading coil. simply connect the antenna to the rig, pull up the antenna and you are good to go.

Anopther fold out solution woule be an adapted clansman fold out antenna, these are very robust and durable.

5 August 2012, 12:00,
This manpack is what I was using last night up on the "hill"

It deployed very quickly and performance was good ( SWR 1.5 : 1 without counterpoise, 1:1 with counterpoise tape measure clipped into the swivel mechanism.

I'll try to bring this along to the WG, if anyone wants to see it in the flesh.

LS

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 12:02,
Hmmm mega price variations in the Syrio GL27s price

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/cb/cb-anten...irio-gl-27 £26

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/medium-cb-a...tenna.html £ 50