Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking aloud about a gathering place
8 August 2012, 11:42,
Thinking aloud about a gathering place
Just think about us getting together occasionally as a group or as individuals socially and for cross training on stuff like radios or skill at arms.

Can anyone thing of a place we could use / hire to do archery practise, radio practise, camping where we could have a BBQ or pit fire. Some place that we as a group or as private citizens could book up to use?

8 August 2012, 12:44,
RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place
(8 August 2012, 11:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: Just think about us getting together occasionally as a group or as individuals socially and for cross training on stuff like radios or skill at arms.

Can anyone thing of a place we could use / hire to do archery practise, radio practise, camping where we could have a BBQ or pit fire. Some place that we as a group or as private citizens could book up to use?

The age old problem. Where? We need one in every county really and even then some won't turn up.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 August 2012, 13:03,
Again just bouncing thoughts but I feel / think the more seriously commited types and on occasion perhaps the more casual prepper would possibly be willing to travel up to 150 miles for a suitable venue where folks can camp in tents, bashas or bug our campers, BBQ, shoot and test out kit. Ergo just north of Brum would possibly be a good area.

Yes I know the folks from the south east wont even go as far as Northampton so we wont even bother with that region.

8 August 2012, 13:26,
I can travel by train but if it's in the middle of no where and I need to spend a fortune on a taxi to get from station to venue..it's a no go for me..sorry Sad
8 August 2012, 18:39,
I'd love to come and meet BUT:-

My QTH to the center of Brum, 130 miles.
There and back, 260 miles @ 11 mp liter @ £1.38 = £33 fuel.
How much to camp?
Other Costs?

Worried about money? Yep, you're right.
Like a lot of folk, there is a hell of a lot of week left after I pay all of my bills.

8 August 2012, 18:58,
Prep / Paul we are only thrashing out ideas, chances are for example someone could get you from a station, and TBH I doubt if their would be a meet in the next few weeks. But and please dont take this as a dig at anyone on this forum, but in my experience (painful experience) that i have in the past organised meets for folks up north ( Penrith), in the midlands (Brum) and in the west country ( Nr Exeter) and even though in many cases WE have taken on all the costs of hiring the venues and even though we have given a YEARS notice its been truly amazing how many supposed survivalists (who are supposed to be ready to bug out at a moments notice) annouce that (A) Not enough notice to come or ( Its inconvenient ) etc.

So as I said in my original post the idea is just thinking aloud and will only actually interest the heavy weight preppers who do get about.

8 August 2012, 20:13,
If you do arrange a meet up, give me a shout Smile
8 August 2012, 20:15,
(8 August 2012, 20:13)Prepaday Wrote: If you do arrange a meet up, give me a shout Smile

Of course, one thing about SD and myself is when we try and set it up its for everyone.Smile

8 August 2012, 20:17,
we all should have a meat in norfolk ,its very flat so we will see them comming for miles
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 August 2012, 20:33,
well i for one am happy to go 2-300 miles for a big event, especially if i can take some skills home, even if it means i got to grab my bob and walk my way there! (to be honest i like the idea of doing that, as i have almost no money and it'd be a good experience to do a long trek and test all my equipment properly, as in the case of an event you must be prepared to do whatever it takes (also i want to do the Appalachian trail so ill be walking up and down the length of england in preperation!

at any rate i may know some people with a fair amount of private land which we'd be able to use, although im not sure exactly where it is Tongue....ill make some enquiries and see what i can come up with! but the place im thinking of is a whole forest thats privately owned by my dads best mates grandad, so it'd be quite likely we could use it for an event/training Smile

anyway ill see what i come up with and have a look around on the net for some cheap places to hire, hell once i get a job and get some income ill be happy to chip in Smile