Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underground cooking
17 August 2012, 09:31,
Underground cooking
We all know the dangers of cooking outside once the SHTF, Smoke giving our destination away. the smell wafting from the cooking food, Has anyone tried cooking under the soil/turf?
I saw something many years ago on t.v and can't for the life of me remember how the guy did it, I think it was something like this..
Dig a deep hole, lay the bottom with sticks and large stones, set sticks alight and allow to burn until you start to get embers.
Take a crock pot or deep metal tray, fill it with meat/veg cover with foil/twigs , set pot on top of the embers and cover with soil, Leave food to cook for an hour, Dig it up and you have a cooked meal...kinda like an oven..Sorry if I have confused anyone, I'm not 100% sure myself but if anyone knows what I am waffling about please leave a comment on what I'm trying to say...
17 August 2012, 09:35,
RE: Underground cooking
like this?

[Image: Dakota+Fire+Pit.jpg.jpeg]

i've known about this for some time but i was reading this article but a few hours ago!

http://survivial-training.wonderhowto.co...t-0116303/

enjoy Wink
17 August 2012, 09:44,
Thanks H, Now I remember....This could be used for drying clothes maybe? If you made a large enough hole with a small fire? Maybe wrap clothes up in foil first? Just a thought?
17 August 2012, 09:49, (This post was last modified: 17 August 2012, 09:51 by Hrusai.)
(17 August 2012, 09:44)Prepaday Wrote: Thanks H, Now I remember....This could be used for drying clothes maybe? If you made a large enough hole with a small fire? Maybe wrap clothes up in foil first? Just a thought?

yup i think those things hanging above the cooking pot are socks in the diagram Smile....but yes its a very efficient type of fire, it burns much hotter and more efficiently than "conventional" fires and its because of that that theres alot less smoke! so its great for heat and drying things (a heat reflector would help disguise the fire and also aim the heat where you want it!...also a nice use for a space blanket...they make exceptional heat reflectors!)

if i remember rightly there was a post on the dakota fire pit in the forum already, ill just go look for it~Smile

but i sure wouldnt put clothes in the hole though! hanging them above should do the job more than well enough Smile
here we go!

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.p...ght=dakota
17 August 2012, 10:29,
if you watch some of the Ray Mears videos(available on youtube) you will see he uses this method on some of his trips.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.