Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shed lock out.
19 August 2012, 23:37,
Shed lock out.
I'm thinking I've got an invisible sign on my house.
It says, "Can't get in somewhere, see Paul".

Knock on door. "Can you help me please, We can't get into our shed"
A neighbor 2 doors down having been told I'm pretty good with this sort of thing by another person via another person (not sure if there was another one too). I'm thinking what is everyone saying about me now?
Still damsel in distress and all that and I'm a sucker for a pretty smile. Big Grin

Off I trundle to find the husband attacking a large old squire laminated padlock with a hacksaw trying to cut through the shaft.
He looks round as we arrived, saw slips, OUCH, blood drips.

Has anyone else used a coke can lock shim before now? I love them for click shut locks. There's plenty of examples on YouTube i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRjNnnLOpmE

It took longer to find a soft drink can and a pair of scissors than to make the shim and open the lock. In case your wondering it was a single shim type lock.

Trundle off home, damsel happy, husband with plaster on finger.
Nice bit about it was later on we got a knock on the door and a tin of quality street.

Two lessons learnt here.
Despite keeping yourself to yourself, people will often know a hell of a lot about you even if you've never spoken to them.
Never throw away coke cans.

So why is this a useful skill for preppers?
You might lose your keys, need to access somewhere, or just like Quality Street!
19 August 2012, 23:44,
RE: Shed lock out.
(19 August 2012, 23:37)Paul Wrote: I'm thinking I've got an invisible sign on my house.
It says, "Can't get in somewhere, see Paul".

Knock on door. "Can you help me please, We can't get into our shed"
A neighbor 2 doors down having been told I'm pretty good with this sort of thing by another person via another person (not sure if there was another one too). I'm thinking what is everyone saying about me now?
Still damsel in distress and all that and I'm a sucker for a pretty smile. Big Grin

Off I trundle to find the husband attacking a large old squire laminated padlock with a hacksaw trying to cut through the shaft.
He looks round as we arrived, saw slips, OUCH, blood drips.

Has anyone else used a coke can lock shim before now? I love them for click shut locks. There's plenty of examples on YouTube i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRjNnnLOpmE

It took longer to find a soft drink can and a pair of scissors than to make the shim and open the lock. In case your wondering it was a single shim type lock.

Trundle off home, damsel happy, husband with plaster on finger.
Nice bit about it was later on we got a knock on the door and a tin of quality street.

Two lessons learnt here.
Despite keeping yourself to yourself, people will often know a hell of a lot about you even if you've never spoken to them.
Never throw away coke cans.

So why is this a useful skill for preppers?
You might lose your keys, need to access somewhere, or just like Quality Street!

great story mate, been thinking about learning this sort of thing myself for a while now, will be very useful after teotwawki when scavenging

i must admit its all too easy to get a reputation for just about anything, for instance back when i was "naughtier" i said one thing to one guy about having a mate who was growing a certain plant, the next day a random kid ive never seen before comes up to me and asks if he can buy off me cause he heard i had a plant!....chinese whispers and all that, it doesnt take much to get that reputation Wink

then again if you nice and helpful then you'll just be respected for it Big Grin
and people tend to turn a blind eye to alot of stuff if your respected....trust me i know!

anyway enjoy those quality streets Big Grin and cheers for that video Smile