Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holding a Spring-Piston Air Gun.
23 August 2012, 08:45, (This post was last modified: 23 August 2012, 08:46 by Paul.)
Holding a Spring-Piston Air Gun.
I was asked to look at a spring piston airgun last night by a friend because "It wasn't hitting the target accurately".
First move, out into the garden and see what's happening.
20 yards, 3 shots, key holed i.e. one tiny group all touching.
Puzzled I gave the rifle back to my friend and he let loose. 1 1/2 inch group.
Took back the rifle, same 3 shot key holed group.
So switching into instructor mind frame I watched him shoot again.
2 3/4" group, Whoops!
The fault was obvious. He held the rifle in what I can only describe as a death grip, white fingers, the lot!
Why so tight? He thought it was better to control the recoil of the rifle to "stop it jumping all over the place" which was a lot different than his PCP air rifle.
So, after five minutes of instruction his grouping was down BETTER than mine I have to admit.
What is it they say, "those who can do, whose who can't teach".

Anyway, I've jotted down some notes for anyone who is having accuracy problems with a spring-piston air rifle. Hope they are useful.

Firstly NEVER FIGHT A SPRING-PISTON WEAPON, IT WILL WIN EVERY TIME.

For accurate shooting HOLD IT SOFTLY.
You must let the rifle recoil in it's own way. To restrict it will cause you to miss. Imagine it as a tuning fork, it needs to ring not be dampened by heavy handling.

Let the rifle rest ON your supporting hand. OPEN PALM.
Don’t grasp the stock with your fingers. You can cup your fingers round the fore stock BUT DON'T GRIP!
Don't EVER change the position of your hand along the fore stock. This position affects how the rifle 'rings' or recoils.

NEVER rest your air rifle fore end directly on sandbags or a support as your groups will suffer.
This also applies to those who use a mono, bi, or tripod.

You can lay your wrist or forearm on a rest if you like.
Just try to rest your forearm / wrist on the SAME PLACE EVERY TIME.

Only TOUCH your shoulder lightly with the rifle’s butt pad and don’t try to pull it back into your shoulder. It's OK to 'snuggle in' but don't smother it.

A note on clothing. Different clothing will affect the 'ringing' of the weapon.
Try and wear the same outer clothing the whole time i.e. your favorite camo jacket.

If you have a sling, use it EVERY TIME but don't use it to pull the rifle back into your shoulder. It should be a simple aid to counter the weight not a restraint. Even better is not use it but make sure it's held out of the way the same way every time.

Curl your fingers round the neck of the stock using the lightest grip you can. The trigger finger is all you want to move. Everything else is purely to help control the jittery effect your body imparts on the weapon.

Rest your cheek LIGHTLY on the comb of the stock.
Don't mash your face onto the stock.
Put your cheek on the SAME place on the comb EVERY TIME!

All the above is designed to let the rifle recoil as naturally as possible. Failure to do so will result in poor shooting.

Trigger Control
With shotguns you pull or 'slap' the trigger. That's because shot gunning is all about timing a shot release on moving target, not accuracy. Air guns, pistols, and rifles all call for you to squeeze the trigger.
Control is everything because you have to keep the weapon in line with the target fighting it's weight and your body tremor which is present in all humans.
I learnt a simple acronym when being taught to shoot, B.R.A.S.S

It stands for Breathing, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze.

Breathing
Stop breathing for during the natural pause between inhalation and exhalation. The natural pause between breaths is typically 2-3 seconds. You should not extend that past 8 seconds.
This is when you fire I.e. when the diaphragm and breathing muscles are relaxed.
After 8 seconds, stop the release, relax, and try again.

Relax
Your position should be relaxed and the weapon NATURALLY aligned with the target i.e. you do not need to push the sights to align with the target. This applies to any weapon but especially a spring-piston rifle as to push or pull one will definitely affect the way it recoils.

Aiming
Make sure you are aiming correctly i.e. the correct sight pattern for the targets range, and elevation. (I'm thinking MIL DOT aim off here).

Stop
You are in the 8 second window. If all is in order i.e. Breathing, Relaxation, and Aiming you can proceed to release the shot.
BUT, IF ANYTHING IS INCORRECT, THIS IS WHEN TO STOP, RELAX, AND START AGAIN

Squeeze
There are two ways of squeezing the trigger and releasing the shot.

Uninterrupted Trigger Control.
Smooth is the term that comes to mind.
Take up the first pressure on the trigger and when the sights are in line and are steady on the target, increase the pressure to the trigger at a gentle rate until the weapon fires.
No stopping, pauses, snatching, a constant squeeze.

Interrupted Trigger Control
Basically whenever you can't settle on a target.
Think windy conditions, poor support or standing.
In short you release when the target comes onto the sights.
Then, when it does, you pull the trigger until the shot breaks.

Here you still don't force the weapon on target, the rifle will be swaying the whole time. When the rifle starts to sway towards the target, second trigger pressure is applied and you release the shot as the sights align.

This is a really poor state to be in. Over distance, a weaving about air weapon is actually being subtly over controlled. It's human nature. Gun moves off target, you sub consciously try and re-align it. It takes a lot of training to get out of this habit.

My personal advice? Always shoot from a supported position.
Lying down is best, sitting second, kneeling takes a lot of practice, and standing. . . . why?

Trigger Errors
Trigger errors develop because the shooter starts to anticipate the release of the shot.
Flinching.
Shooter closing their eyes, tensing up.
Bucking.
Recoil shy the shooter bunches their muscles to absorb the recoil.

There is only one way to counter these faults.
Practice, practice, and practice preferably with a buddy who critically assesses how you are doing things.

Follow Through
Always stay in the aim when and after the shot has been released. This will prevent you relaxing your grip as you release thus the weapon will remain still and on target. Too many air gunners immediately relax on releasing the shot. IMMEDIATELY is the key word here. The brain senses the rifle go off, immediately the tensed up body tries to relax from the control you have been applying over the last 8 seconds. Result?
The pellet is still sliding up the barrel and you're now off target.
Your grip has changed subtly so the air gun doesn't "ring" or recoil the same way.
Everything goes to pot and all because your brain said "Glad that's over with".
The follow through is something you have to train yourself to. With a spring-piston or gas ram weapon, it's positively vital.

Hope this helps.
These notes also apply to gas ram weapons.
23 August 2012, 08:58,
RE: Holding a Spring-Piston Air Gun.
great article paul, very informative, will be invaluable for me as i shoot more and more, hopefully can knock some of my bad habits on the head thanks to this Smile
23 August 2012, 09:24, (This post was last modified: 23 August 2012, 09:25 by Tigs.)
my first Sargent said you hold and treat a rifle like a woman , hold it softly but firmly and treat it like it will take your head off when you get it wrong!!
or was that treat it with great respect ??
23 August 2012, 10:07,
Good post paul well written and useful to all new shooters, well done.
NR

23 August 2012, 12:34,
(23 August 2012, 09:24)Tigs Wrote: my first Sargent said you hold and treat a rifle like a woman , hold it softly but firmly and treat it like it will take your head off when you get it wrong!!
or was that treat it with great respect ??

Sounds like you had the same guy as me.
23 August 2012, 12:41,
might have been the same guy Paul, but have heard a few Sargent use it since then.