Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What should I prep for?
25 August 2012, 10:09,
RE: What should I prep for?
(25 August 2012, 09:44)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think, if the big event happens, we will go back to a cave man type existence, more like a pre industrial age where everything is done by hand instead of machines. we may have a period where things start running out then everything levels out. we dont know exactly what will happen, so all we can do is prepare for the worst and hope it dosent get that bad.

we would not even go that far back , more likely we would end up with technology from around the 1860's or even 1880's , oil lamps steam power hand tools etc all achievable with out modern technology , depending on the the of shtf the short time after it happens would be the survive on your own or in small groups, but long term would mean small groups would join up and create some sort of new organized society with rules and laws , those who farm and make thing and those who protect , not all preppers /survivors will be gun mad shot at anything nuts in fact the vast majority of us will be the opposite just willing to go that bit further to protect ourselves and others we are with .
25 August 2012, 10:13,
(25 August 2012, 10:09)Tigs Wrote:
(25 August 2012, 09:44)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think, if the big event happens, we will go back to a cave man type existence, more like a pre industrial age where everything is done by hand instead of machines. we may have a period where things start running out then everything levels out. we dont know exactly what will happen, so all we can do is prepare for the worst and hope it dosent get that bad.

we would not even go that far back , more likely we would end up with technology from around the 1860's or even 1880's , oil lamps steam power hand tools etc all achievable with out modern technology , depending on the the of shtf the short time after it happens would be the survive on your own or in small groups, but long term would mean small groups would join up and create some sort of new organized society with rules and laws , those who farm and make thing and those who protect , not all preppers /survivors will be gun mad shot at anything nuts in fact the vast majority of us will be the opposite just willing to go that bit further to protect ourselves and others we are with .
generally i agree with you, this country would be more placid than America where they all seem to be gun nuts...you read their prepping sites and its all guns and ammo...especially on youtube.Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 August 2012, 10:15, (This post was last modified: 25 August 2012, 10:17 by Tigs.)
(25 August 2012, 10:03)Prepaday Wrote: As a fairly new prepper and my eyes just beginning to open to everything shit in this world it is hard not to get scared and nervous, I am entering a new transition stage myself by being a prepper and it can get scary Sad
I hope in time, if we have some, I can harden up, I think being a woman doesn't help, we are naturally soft and kind hearted, that's why the men do the hunting!
Slowly,slowly catch a monkey and all that. I will NOT wake up tomoz and be reformed into a hardened person, 40 years of being nice is hard to shrug off Smile
I'm doing things at my own pace and yes the pace is slow but I'm building up a resistance at the same time, I don't want to be hit square bang in the face when TSHTF Smile

when we started farming my wife could not even watch a chicken being dispatched yet would quite happily eat it after it was plucked and clean , now 7 years on she quite happily does it her self , she shoots rabbits etc and now fishes its all a matter of practice the more you do the easier it comes , its the same for every thing i found that out during 20 years of military service
(25 August 2012, 10:13)bigpaul Wrote:
(25 August 2012, 10:09)Tigs Wrote:

generally i agree with you, this country would be more placid than America where they all seem to be gun nuts...you read their prepping sites and its all guns and ammo...especially on youtube.Tongue

yeah i read one sites thread were they are prepping by stocking up on guns ,ammo, bows ,crossbows ,arrows ,knives etc but no food ?? they intend to take that by force !!!!! scary stuff
25 August 2012, 10:17,
hahaha makes me chuckle, i reckon that they'll all shoot eachother until theres 1 prepper left alive in america just thinking, "shit, now what?"

i reckon some preppers will band together and some will become like travelling tinkerers, dropping by a settlement and trading their skills and knowledge for food and supplies, helping communities etc.....either that or we'll become over lords and rule our own tribes xD

25 August 2012, 10:24,
Just say for example...There is a large group and 2 or 3 of the group are really clever, Do you think there would be a meeting and folk would vote for one of the 3 to be THE LEADER? What is wrong with 3 people leading? 3 heads are better than 1 right?
We would still be voting like we do today but on a smaller scale..I hate voting!
Is voting not what got us into this mess in the first place?
25 August 2012, 10:28,
(25 August 2012, 10:24)Prepaday Wrote: Just say for example...There is a large group and 2 or 3 of the group are really clever, Do you think there would be a meeting and folk would vote for one of the 3 to be THE LEADER? What is wrong with 3 people leading? 3 heads are better than 1 right?
We would still be voting like we do today but on a smaller scale..I hate voting!

heh this is a subject of much debate, varies person to person, i guess the best way would (in my opinion) be if i was leader lol, i'd listen to everyones views, no matter how silly, take them all onboard and use logical and impartial reasoning to work out the best course of action.

but i think in reality it would probably be a group of people who make the decisions, starting with the most useful and clever members of a group, then as a group expands you'd send a representative member of each family to work as a panel
25 August 2012, 10:30,
No fixed voting..RESULT Smile No vast sums of money exchanging hands to win votes..RESULT Smile
25 August 2012, 10:32,
(25 August 2012, 10:24)Prepaday Wrote: Just say for example...There is a large group and 2 or 3 of the group are really clever, Do you think there would be a meeting and folk would vote for one of the 3 to be THE LEADER? What is wrong with 3 people leading? 3 heads are better than 1 right?

not necessarily natural leaders often come to the front even if they dont want to , when 2 or 3 groups join up the most natural leader within time would end up leading , the most knowledgeable and most talented people would not necessarily be the leader but a good leader would listen to them and everyone else, as for voting well maybe not if its survival that matter there maybe no time to vote
25 August 2012, 10:35,
i dont think there can ever be any cast iron prediction of what it'll be like, even if you dedicate your life to studying leadership structures and how they arise and all sorts of anthropological things Tongue

all we can do is guess Tongue just see what ends up happening lol
25 August 2012, 10:36,
i dont want some leader ordering me about..if so i'd be offski! i think everyone should do what their best at, be it growing, animal husbandry, cooking, hunting etc.etc. for the benefit of the group/tribe/clan.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.