29 August 2012, 16:42,
Nat Geo Doomsday preppers
Not sure if this has been mentioned on the board

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/ch...-preppers/

Any thoughts?
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
31 August 2012, 12:02,
RE: Nat Geo Doomsday preppers
It has been mentioned, I posted a link to stream all the episodes online in the Open Box subforum.

I like the show, but I think some of the other members on here aren't too impressed with it.
Being pretty new to prepping though I've found it interesting to see some of the more extreme preps of our American cousins. It also has a good range of different scenarios that each of the people are prepping for, although the most common was economic collapse and civil unrest I think (which I count among the biggest immediate threats too).
31 August 2012, 12:10,
No info is bad info, but sometime publicity can be detrimental to our cause, EG that bloody woman almost gloating and dancing a gig cos she has loads of food set aside and her neighbours face starvation. Or the guy in the wheelchair who has been certified crazy by his doctor. BUT as we all know programs like this get shown and thinking inteligent people see and read past the hype and start thinking about prepping themselves.

Personally the only think that really annoys me in a big way is SINGLE THREAT preppers, IE preppers who focus solely on surviving one threat, Food shortages, Drought, Meteors, Tsunamis and focus ALl their efforts on that one narrow threat, they are almost certainly likely to get wiped out by one of the other clear and present dangers that western societies face today.

31 August 2012, 12:34,
(31 August 2012, 12:10)NorthernRaider Wrote: Personally the only think that really annoys me in a big way is SINGLE THREAT preppers, IE preppers who focus solely on surviving one threat, Food shortages, Drought, Meteors, Tsunamis and focus ALl their efforts on that one narrow threat, they are almost certainly likely to get wiped out by one of the other clear and present dangers that western societies face today.

I agree, but just to play Devil's Advocate here... Smile
For somebody new to prepping like myself, it would make sense for them to spend the majority of their immediate time and money prepping on their most immediate threat ie. if they are highly susceptible to flooding, they shouldn't be spending all their money on N95 masks and air rifles Big Grin They should focus on building up their storage of sandbags or otherwise dry floodproofing their property.

So I would say priorities should be:
a) Prep for the most obvious immediate threat
b) Prep for the common denominators (the events and preps you'll need that could be caused by multiple probable events. ie. civil unrest could be caused by lots of events, or a first aid kit could be used in lots of events)
c) Prep for all the other stuff

Obviously, the end goal should be to be well prepped for the majority of scenarios that could befall them. But can take quite a lot of time and money Sad
31 August 2012, 13:22,
All that food, ammo, water And air and we get attacked by underground monsters. I hope everyone factors in graboids in thier preps.
31 August 2012, 14:16, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2012, 14:17 by NorthernRaider.)
(31 August 2012, 12:34)HunterNurturer Wrote:
(31 August 2012, 12:10)NorthernRaider Wrote: Personally the only think that really annoys me in a big way is SINGLE THREAT preppers, IE preppers who focus solely on surviving one threat, Food shortages, Drought, Meteors, Tsunamis and focus ALl their efforts on that one narrow threat, they are almost certainly likely to get wiped out by one of the other clear and present dangers that western societies face today.

I agree, but just to play Devil's Advocate here... Smile
For somebody new to prepping like myself, it would make sense for them to spend the majority of their immediate time and money prepping on their most immediate threat ie. if they are highly susceptible to flooding, they shouldn't be spending all their money on N95 masks and air rifles Big Grin They should focus on building up their storage of sandbags or otherwise dry floodproofing their property.

So I would say priorities should be:
a) Prep for the most obvious immediate threat
b) Prep for the common denominators (the events and preps you'll need that could be caused by multiple probable events. ie. civil unrest could be caused by lots of events, or a first aid kit could be used in lots of events)
c) Prep for all the other stuff

Obviously, the end goal should be to be well prepped for the majority of scenarios that could befall them. But can take quite a lot of time and money Sad

Absolutely in agreement 99% of us are basing out preps on a particular threat scenario but have enough about us to realise that before during or after whatever is our PRIMARY threat risk we know we are just as likely to get visited by Sods Law and find ourselves facing a totally different scenario. But in this TV series you definately get the impression that many of the Merkins are totally focused on ONE scenario. Flexability and Adaptability is what gives preppers the edge.
(31 August 2012, 13:22)Carnebwen Wrote: All that food, ammo, water And air and we get attacked by underground monsters. I hope everyone factors in graboids in thier preps.

Yup and Screamers and Assblasters.

31 August 2012, 14:57,
I don't think you can prep for just one threat. Prepping for any prep covers most of them. The differnces being very small. ie prepping covers food, water, shelter, tools, power, etc. for several months. Sure I don't have a Geiger counter or a NBC mask but if that threat increases I can buy some.

Stick to the generals which will cover 80% of your needs. The other 20% cover specific threats so make your choices. Personally, I try to cover everything but I prioritise.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin