Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting PV panels in gardens ( For nemesis)
30 August 2012, 23:16,
RE: Mounting PV panels in gardens ( For nemesis)
Put em up at night !!!! Smile

30 August 2012, 23:34,
Glare will always be a problem but for what I'm thinking of less of an issue. Remember, I'm living off stores, batteries etc. then when it quitens down a PV area in a back garden has few points it can be viewed from. Top of a hill may be an issue but in a clearing in the woods. Nope.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 August 2012, 23:38,
Was a genuine question lads.

Understandably there will be glare then...so if anybody has ideas of using PV at their BOL then there is a possible compromise to OPSEC then , unless in a situation with a very restricted viewing angle.

Alternatives ? small wind turbine type thing ?pros and cons compared with PV ?

My thinking has always been PV = fragile and not 'squaddy proof' ?
Windpower = also dependent on suitable weather conditions for maximun effect.
Mechanical = waterwheel type , also semi-dependent on decent rainfall for maximum effect , unless on coastline.

I'm interested in PV , but most of my research at the moment is on these Permanent Magnetic Generators , and if they are viable or just a quirky gimmick.

Video

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
30 August 2012, 23:40,
(30 August 2012, 23:34)Skean Dhude Wrote: Glare will always be a problem but for what I'm thinking of less of an issue. Remember, I'm living off stores, batteries etc. then when it quitens down a PV area in a back garden has few points it can be viewed from. Top of a hill may be an issue but in a clearing in the woods. Nope.

I think a tactical shtf woodland placement and quick hide kit thread would be a good read.

Clearing in the woods, good idea it is what I do/did with my little mobile solar rig, of course we would have to worry about air, but then again shtf does not mean the government/army are coming after us, more of a survive the scavengers, most of them won't have a helicopter.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
31 August 2012, 00:07,
Exactly and remember in a town there will be plenty of glare, greenhouses, windows, cars, PV panels for houses. it is glare where none is expected that is the issue.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 August 2012, 07:25,
(30 August 2012, 23:38)The Local Ned Wrote: Was a genuine question lads.

Understandably there will be glare then...so if anybody has ideas of using PV at their BOL then there is a possible compromise to OPSEC then , unless in a situation with a very restricted viewing angle.

Alternatives ? small wind turbine type thing ?pros and cons compared with PV ?

My thinking has always been PV = fragile and not 'squaddy proof' ?
Windpower = also dependent on suitable weather conditions for maximun effect.
Mechanical = waterwheel type , also semi-dependent on decent rainfall for maximum effect , unless on coastline.

I'm interested in PV , but most of my research at the moment is on these Permanent Magnetic Generators , and if they are viable or just a quirky gimmick.

Video

Good Point TLN, I'd not thought of the glare issue.

IDEA: In open, flatish East Anglan type territory, maybe setting up PV cells in a shallow open pit arrangemnt would do the trick at a BOL? PV works best when the sun is shining direcly onto the cells and it is the angling of the cells to pick up best low angle sunsight that is oing to have the greatest chance of unwanted glare. By mounting slightly below ground level you'd sacrifice low angle sunshine of course. This only cures the problem at BOLs that are not overlooked from higher ground / buildings.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 August 2012, 17:20, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2012, 17:21 by Skvez.)
A wind turbine should be 10m above the tallest (other) object for 100m in all directions to get good laminar air flow.
Given that the human eye is drawn to movement and even the quietest turbine makes some noise (something there will be a lot less of after an event), I think wind will be much more noticeable than solar.
Glare off solar will be a concern but if you're that worried hang a lot of bottles off trees for miles around your BOL. People will get fed up hunting down the shiny object just to discover a bottle hanging in a tree.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?