Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preppers and Survivalists
26 September 2012, 19:43, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2012, 19:55 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Preppers and Survivalists
(26 September 2012, 19:25)IB1 Wrote: Makes you wonder what they did before the internet was invented

Wrote letters to the guardian
Read The Lady Magazine
Wore sandals
Campaigned for the liberals
Did needlepoint
joined a church choir
Bought a Morris Ital
Became Teachers and Social workers
Did working holidays on archeological digs
Joined the Boys Brigade
Lived with mum till they were 45
Married a woman because she reminded her of his mum
Joined the Parish Council
Became a Jehovahs witness
Grew beards whilst wearing jesus sandals
Called their kids Tarquin and Galahad
Collected Newts
Always washed their cars on sunday morning
Never went to a disco
Describe as Delicate by their GPs
Made Home Videos about themselves.
Always stood right behind TV presenters on outside broadcasts staring at the camera.
Wore black socks with trainers
Got their survival expertise from the library
(26 September 2012, 19:21)Paul Wrote: NR, I dunno where "the fit young paramilitary male type" stereo type came from.
It certainly doesn't apply to me.

Probably because it was not aimed at you individually, its just a generalisation, but many newcomers to survivalism come via the Bushcraft world, they mistake wilderness and expedition survival techniques as survivalism, which its not. Its related , its a cousin but Bushcraft survivalism is a different genre to disaster survivalism.

But often they arrive on a forum and their entire plans focus entirely around themselves surviving whatever , on their own living like Rambo in the woods, its not until someone asks them " What about your mum, dad, gran, wife, girlfriend, baby sister, can they hike 30 miles in a blizzard carrying a 120 lb pack and live in a gopher hole" Then they stop and think a bit.
(26 September 2012, 19:21)Paul Wrote: Hence I classify myself not as a hardened prepper, more as a "prepping survivalist".

I've been doing this since 79 and consider myself a novice when compared to most people in our world, I'm a survivalist when I'm talking to some folks and a prepper when I dont want to appear extreme or intiimidating, but at the end of the day I'm a 55 year old clapped out ex squaddie scared shitless for my families future.
Talking about strange people , Shhhh SD has signed on Smile

26 September 2012, 20:17,
i am with you bp
26 September 2012, 22:12,
NR.
No problem, my mirror shows the same thing, probably a bit more wrinkly though. Big Grin

26 September 2012, 22:15,
No matter what were called its going to be interesting for the next few months.

27 September 2012, 08:13,
(26 September 2012, 22:12)Paul Wrote: NR.
No problem, my mirror shows the same thing, probably a bit more wrinkly though. Big Grin

OK can dig that, I have at least retained my fabulous sexy good looks ...... and my modesty Smile Smile ( Let me dream)

27 September 2012, 20:11,
I dont think I fall into either to be honest. Ive got all the usual preps, obviously lacking in some due to monetary constraints Sad

About the forum banter, we all come here to learn, I think I learn much more here than I have on any other forum. I dont post much on what im upto at the moment as I dont want to look like some right wing domestic terrorist (the beard certainly won't help) so I do like a bit of banter with like-minded individuals
27 September 2012, 20:26,
I dont think there is anything wrong with a bit of banter on forums but I dont like sites where you are made to look like some retarded bunker dweller for discussing events in a post fall world, there's definitely some kind of weird snobbery that goes on in the prepping world.

If the answer to all our prepping needs is to book into a hotel then why bother having prepping forum at all, just use the friggin Yellow Pages Smile
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
27 September 2012, 20:38, (This post was last modified: 27 September 2012, 20:40 by NorthernRaider.)
(27 September 2012, 20:26)IB1 Wrote: I dont think there is anything wrong with a bit of banter on forums but I dont like sites where you are made to look like some retarded bunker dweller for discussing events in a post fall world, there's definitely some kind of weird snobbery that goes on in the prepping world.

Understatement Alert, Understatement Alert. Inner and outer circles, ruling cliques, moderators running personal fiefdoms, dickheads telling the world they speak for the majority of preppers, running forums for personal gain. Being afraid to challenge accepted norms, unable to accept other strongly held opinions, treating newbies with disrespect or worse contempt. I honestly despise that attitude with a passion. I think there are preppers, two types, those who have been doing it for ages and those who have not, but ALL are equal.

The only stupid questions are the unasked ones.
I look at it this way cos I'm simple " Do you wanna survive ?, Yeah so do I so lets share information" thats it as far as I'm concerned, I've met oldy preppers who forget simple things and I've met newbies who fresh viewpoint has solved long outstanding issues.

WE Are Preppers.

28 September 2012, 00:11,
I came into prepping first then moved into bushcraft but have always been in the country bushcraft just filled in the gaps lol and yes like others rabbits for the pot and sold for xtra money snares etc so I suppose I'm in both
I like this site as it is open and information is freely given with no running you down with the questions that are asked
So long may this site continue and grow in strength
Bd
28 September 2012, 08:59,
(27 September 2012, 20:26)IB1 Wrote: I dont think there is anything wrong with a bit of banter on forums but I dont like sites where you are made to look like some retarded bunker dweller for discussing events in a post fall world, there's definitely some kind of weird snobbery that goes on in the prepping world.

If the answer to all our prepping needs is to book into a hotel then why bother having prepping forum at all, just use the friggin Yellow Pages Smile
i was having this same conversation many months ago on another forum, guy said he was going to bug out to a motel or hotel, i said well in that case why have preps, all you need is a credit card( i also said you are putting your survival in some one else's hands not your own) and got dumped on from a great height for it!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.