Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
4 September 2012, 20:19,
RE: Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
Can we PDFerise the Basic PV system article and info please?

4 September 2012, 20:31,

This is the PM i sent TOF maybe I should have put it here.

10amp Solar Controller, they sell a 30A one aswell I would say get the 30A, so you can add more panels later on, but the 10A is enough for just the 180watt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-10am...1e714082f1

On the Subtype tab you need to select,160w (2x80w)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Pack-20...3a787267aa

Just add batteries and a mount and extra lead, for panels and battery joining leads and your good to go.

Then you get on to junction boxes and switches, and all sorts of things that bring your items to life.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
4 September 2012, 20:54,
Don't just list some. Many of us don't know what is the right kit. Can you list the lot for completeness. That way we have a complete kit as a starting point.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2012, 22:18,
(4 September 2012, 20:54)Skean Dhude Wrote: Don't just list some. Many of us don't know what is the right kit. Can you list the lot for completeness. That way we have a complete kit as a starting point.

You can reference the solar panel thread I started in December. As you know I have had a problem with my online photo host and all the pics hosted with them went down, but the text is still there, just tidy it up and your make a PDF from it easy enough, combine all the threads add Skvez's input and it should cover all that is needed.

And add the correct way to wire the batts, should make for an interesting PDF.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
5 September 2012, 00:13, (This post was last modified: 5 September 2012, 12:51 by Skvez.)
For the simple system we're talking about we don't need multiple batteries.
A 40Ah car battery would be 500Wh (at a smidge over 12V)
Since we're talking about 45Wh thats about 11 days to totally discharge it or 5 to take it no more than 50% discharged.
A single day discharge is only 10% so 'deep cycle' is unnecessary.

A 100W solar panel will give you about three time the power you need in the summer and about 1/3 of the power you need in the winter. This is unfortunate as the winter is when you most need the lighting but thats a good starting point.

At 100W a 10A solar controller is more than adequate, 6A would do in a pinch (although in theory 6A isn't enough for a 12V 100W panel you'll never get 100W from a 100W panel in the UK).

Current is such that 2.5mm^2 wiring is probably enough but use 4mm^2 if your runs from panel to battery are longer than 10m or so.

For a simple system you really don't need much more in terms of stuff.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
5 September 2012, 12:49, (This post was last modified: 5 September 2012, 12:50 by Skvez.)
I just got confirmation from a friend and colleague who works in development of integrated renewable systems that multiple charge controllers do conflict when trying to charge the same battery bank. He experiences this problem with solar and wind but it would be worse with solar and solar where you're basically wasting the energy from one or other of your sets of solar panels.
Sad
5 September 2012, 13:51,
(5 September 2012, 12:49)Skvez Wrote: I just got confirmation from a friend and colleague who works in development of integrated renewable systems that multiple charge controllers do conflict when trying to charge the same battery bank. He experiences this problem with solar and wind but it would be worse with solar and solar where you're basically wasting the energy from one or other of your sets of solar panels.
Sad

Skvez,

So the solution for multiple controllers is to use them on multiple separate batteries, yes?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 September 2012, 14:00,
LS
Separate battery banks
Yes.

Or combine the solar panels and feed into a single big controller if you can.