Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
30 August 2012, 18:05,
RE: Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
(30 August 2012, 16:17)Skean Dhude Wrote: I think TOF was basing her £150 comment on the statement that you could get one for half price, she spent £300 ergo you gould get one for £150.

Yes I realised as soon as I replied, to her post.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
31 August 2012, 00:59, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2012, 01:19 by Nemesis.)
Ok I went a bit further and found you a mobile case style solar setup, you get 20 watts more than that amazon package you linked and your get same regulator 10amp, I myself would always buy 30 amps but I will match the amazon for now.

ok amazon spec:

140 Watt Solar Panel.

5m of high-current solar cable and fully waterproof junction box.

10A charge controller.

First of all that is a bit ott advertising a tarted up description if you like, all these solar panels are fitted with a water proof junction box and come with cable already attached when they are built in China, bear in mind you will still need to buy more cable, for this setup.

Again the 10A charge controller retails for about £15, it does not make this setup a kit it is just an item your need to use your setup, nothing prewired.

2x80 watt = 160 watt, 20 watt more.

[Image: wKKsorWg4lKWck2eSYkZVC1H.jpg]

Suit case style, 80 watt each side:

[Image: KqPoWUwMRUc8qgku1xXM6TILM.jpg]

[Image: weoRvyXsMrA9XeTMetZ2hmhk.jpg]

Price £149+ £5.95 p&p

Now add the 10A solar controller £13.99 with free del, although I recomend you spend £40 and get the 30A.

[Image: $(KGrHqQOKpUE1qkdgrODBNjKskmrMg~~_12.JPG]

all in and don't forget that extra 20watts £168.94

I can get you even better deal on a 250watt.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
31 August 2012, 09:10,

That looks great! Although I understand the principles of solar power generation, I have no idea of the specifications or equipment needed to do so! I'm not good with putting things together and I certainly have no idea what would be compatible with what. Could you supply linky for me to bookmark?

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
31 August 2012, 09:55, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2012, 09:55 by NorthernRaider.)
This thread is developing very nicely, I can see an aide memiore in the offing before long Smile
SD When this thread is finalised and sorted into a solid single article will you create a PDF please ?

31 August 2012, 17:14,
There is a large range of things being discussed here.

A radio needs a tiny solar panel because the current demand is small and it's only on for a small part of the day.
The Kettle is only on for a small part of the day but the current demand is HUGE while it's on. I'd recommend you boil water by burning stuff under it, not by using electricity.
Laptop and PC have moderate current draw but you need to give some indication of whether you want it for 30 minutes every other day or 6 hours a day.
The Fridge has a moderate current draw and is typically on for 8 hours a day which means the total power demand is more than a 'small' PV system can support.

I did an article on this back a year ago
http://survivaluk.net/2011/08/31/solar-power-in-the-uk/

You really need to very clearly decide what you want to power before we can recommed the sort of system you'd need.
Unfortunately with solar in the UK in winter you're going to be dissapointed.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
31 August 2012, 19:43,
For me, the whole idea was to have a limited 12v system running from a solar charged, deep cycle leisure battery. I'm not looking to run a family sized fridge, or have the telly on. I want a simple, low maintenance, low energy input system that will give me a modicum of comfort. One or two 3w led lights, a 1litre kettle, a 20litre fridge, enough juice to charge my Kindle and laptop occasionally and I'm not sure which would be most efficient, but either recharging AA and AAA batteries direct from the leisure battery or via usb from the laptop. Maybe one of you electrical chaps could answer that.Smile

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
31 August 2012, 19:54,
I think a basic PV kit with emphasis on BASIC should be their as much for its psychological value as well as its limited practical value thus my primary use for a PV system would be to provide low energy LED lighting for at least one room and to recharge radios etc. The huge emotional impact on a family after TSHTF of not being in the dark light wise and radio news wise is very benificial.

31 August 2012, 20:04, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2012, 20:05 by Skvez.)
A basic system could be used for
radio
LED lights
recharging AA/AAA batteries
Kindle
Possibly a little laptop

Once you start thinking about fridge (even a "small" one) you're into a larger sized "intermediate" system.
"Small" fridges are intended for short term use, they usually don't cool their interior as cold as a 'proper' fridge.
They are also optimised for being portable and so tend to be optimised to be small and light and so have poor insulation.
The one I tested was as power hungry as my main house fridge/freezer while not being as good and having vastly smaller capacity.
Unfortunately when it comes to fridges small does not mean efficient.
I'd say that after my electric shower and my cooker by fridge is the third largest user of electricity in my house.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
31 August 2012, 20:16,
I reckon / believe / hope that before most preppers get round to addressing PV and Wind power stuff they would have hopefully sorted out heating, cooking, washing etc by getting wood stoves either fitted cast iron jobs or portable ones like the Frontier stove, So they HOPEFULLY Smile would not be trying to cook or run big appliances . Example from David Crossley and myself when we chatted a few years ago that if the power went off cos of a MAJOR incident we both said we would start cooking all the meats in the freezer or converting it into jerky, We would blanch and pickle or preserve any fruits or veg in the freezer.

After TSHTF I think only type one diabetics will be in a position where they MUST have an operating fridge system.

As for laundry etc I like the hand operated ones you buy from camping shops.

I feel but not totally that a very simple basic design is needed to begin with, then as preppers plans and budgets allow they could expand the generating capacity of their array????

31 August 2012, 20:40,
Just a quick question regarding panels. Are they future proof in the respect of you being able to add more panels as the price falls over the next few years or does the technology also change meaning that the older and newer ones have to run on separate systems ? Put another way, would a panel you bought 10 years ago still work with a modern setup ?

At the moment I only have the freeplay type ones for charging small devices, but will look at solar in the new place

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected