Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolving Opsec at RVs
30 August 2012, 23:15,
Evolving Opsec at RVs
I'm very reluctantly coming round to some other members beliefs that Opsec arounds RVs is going to have to change the way society and our community is evolving, I think for example open welcomes to all at an RV are going the way of the dodo.
I noted SD's sudden concerns about the open RV at the 2012 Wilderness gathering among other peoples privacy and security concens, I think that sadly these concerns are in fact just and we are going to have to adapt accordingly, I find that need really very saddening cos I loved the free and open sense of camerarderie that went with open RVs.

I think that until the general atmosphere of slight fear, genuine concerns and operational necessity changes again that future gatherings will need to be invite only or sponsored invites from establish members for people unknown to us for any length of time.
Bit of a bugger but sadly times they are a changing and not for the better. Mind you if you personally still like open unregulated get togethers more power to you,but I fear turnout is going to decline as time goes by.
NR

30 August 2012, 23:31,
RE: Evolving Opsec at RVs
I think RVs at open sites such as the WG are more of a concern. Arranging RVs is slightly different. Personally, I'm for the small group meet. That works for me and you get to know others. It doesn'y work for journos and the like because it takes too long to meet enough people. So I'm going for the smaller group. Then if anything gets out it is a lot easier to trace the source.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 August 2012, 07:39,
A thought that has crossed my mind regarding RV's when seeing them discussed on here is that the precise details and locations are often viewable by anyone with an internet connection. It might be an idea when setting up an RV to announce the rough date and rough location on the forum, for example - Midlands, end of Sept, and once you have the names of interested people than discuss any further details by pm

Just a thought
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
31 August 2012, 08:55,

That's exactly how BoB and I organised our RV IB1. We then sorted the details via pm. I still think open RV's could be doable, but not by openly organising on the forums. It was a shame that so many pulled out of the the Wilderness Gathering meet. If it had been arranged by date on open forum and location by pm, I think a lot of the security worries could have been negated. There are precious few of us making any sort of effort to get to know others on this forum, which is pretty sad really. Bob and I not only had a laugh and a nice little weekend break, but exchanged ideas, showed off our kit and tested our BOBs.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
31 August 2012, 09:12,
RV's at public events like the WG are open to all as we have no control on who attends, and that is why people sometimes drop out due to opsec fears..which is understandable. if we want to have opsec then it needs to be a private event arranged by pm. this has already been said i know, just agreeing to what has been said.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 August 2012, 09:25, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2012, 09:27 by NorthernRaider.)
(30 August 2012, 23:31)Skean Dhude Wrote: I think RVs at open sites such as the WG are more of a concern. Arranging RVs is slightly different. Personally, I'm for the small group meet. That works for me and you get to know others. It doesn'y work for journos and the like because it takes too long to meet enough people. So I'm going for the smaller group. Then if anything gets out it is a lot easier to trace the source.

Yeah I can dig that approach Smile
I agree with TOF, BP and IB1 as well privately organised events will meet privacy and security needs much better, sadly Sad