Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you chose and why?
3 September 2012, 11:27,
RE: What would you chose and why?
$50 underground house/ log cabin, with a wood stove, concealed entrance and some kind of hidden periscope thingy.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
3 September 2012, 11:44,
Canvas bell tent with a big wood burner - as you can move it easily, and it erects very quickly Smile

I used the bell tent this February and with the stove on we were nice and toasty. Hit -4 at night too.
3 September 2012, 12:19,
Big tents would get blown away up here, some hippie dudes tried time after time to set up a commune up weardale and every storm that came through trashed their commune.

3 September 2012, 13:56,
Why are you thinking temporary shelters or is an alternative life style you're really after?

Come a general collapse or catastrophic event, I'm still going to be looking for permanent structures.
Bug out of not, it's better to hide than pop up somewhere unexpectedly and raise a temporary structure.
Locals would notice a new addition where they might not notice a forced lock.

Consider the advantages.
Most structures are built with two things in mind, keeping the weather out and offering some sort of security.
Once in they may have resources you can use.
Most structures have been built for a reason so they'll often have approach roads and the like.
Good for you as you'll not be leaving new tire tracks on virgin soil.

Any disadvantages?
You may have to raise a smaller structure inside to live in BUT with the additional weather proofing of the main structure, it is infinitely better than living in a field.
Someone owns or owned them.
They're logged and listed somewhere.
In a systematic search, they'll get to you eventually.

Despite that, it's easier to walk away from something than transport large heavy equipment round.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth.

3 September 2012, 14:26,
After TSHTf is my home is insecure or exposed and I need a safe place to live I'm considering putting a static caravan INSIDE one of the small empty factory units near here. They dont make anything or have anything worth while salvaging and they are each inside their own 2 meter wire chain mail fence AND each group of 4 have their own outer fence of similar structure. I could keep, vehicles , living space fuel, etc inside one unit and keep lifestock secure at night in another.

3 September 2012, 19:37,
Good plan. Security and covert.
The only problem is getting the caravan in unseen and gagging the chickens during the day.

3 September 2012, 19:52, (This post was last modified: 3 September 2012, 19:53 by NorthernRaider.)
(3 September 2012, 19:37)Paul Wrote: Good plan. Security and covert.
The only problem is getting the caravan in unseen and gagging the chickens during the day.

No noise producing chooks for me that close to a community, mini pigs, mini goats, rabbits and perhaps a few small milking jersey heffers. anything predominantly quiet.

As for getting the static into place the units I'm interested in are well out of sight of most prying eyes. i suppose I could just forget the static and moved an insulated prefab log cabin in in pieces.
The were-terrier will tell me if anyone else is within range his lugs are as sensitive as a bats.

3 September 2012, 20:00,
this is why i have been making a list(and map location) of any unoccupied, deserted, rural, remote, isolated structure suitable for our needs!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2012, 11:02,
Is now the time to talk about what to look for i.e.
Open windows, 'unlocked' doors, and the like?

4 September 2012, 11:10,
I'm feckin annoyed, In the u.k you can live on your OWN land in a yurt and not pay some kind of tax is you move it for a few weeks. Apparently it's not classed as a fixed dwelling...yet you van live in it full time if you work the land it's on without using fuel. electric etc, so man power and horses are to be used.
I don't get it, If it's my land, why can't I build what I feckin want on it?
In the program Grand designs, some of those buildings needed planning permission,
O'k, so if you're building a tower or something that is going to interfere with the landscape I can understand it but a 20ft yurt? Maximum of 12 ft tall?
I think these laws apply all over the E.u...so my plan of a yurt In Spain has gone out of the window ! Sad