Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Kill Switch
6 September 2012, 08:59,
RE: Internet Kill Switch
Apologies for highjacking this thread, but.....
When it comes to comms stuff, as BoB will attest, I am a complete dolly. I have often wondered how 'controllable' the digital comms system is. I know the 'net can be manipulated easily, China and Iran do it already. And the mobile phone network can be disabled easily, what about digital TV, Radio and landline phone? Can anyone enlighten me?

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
6 September 2012, 09:09,
(5 September 2012, 21:34)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: someone posted a link of James Wesley Rawls doing a telephone interview with an American web based 'real' news channel. I can't find it now but will repost it here when I do ... Anyway, one of the things Rawls kept saying was [WARNING TO PAUL ... DO NOT READ PAST THIS PART OF MY POST!] " become a radio ham ... become a radio ham ..." precisely because when the 'interweb' gets turned off, there will be, via ham radio, useful, viable alternatives for us to use. Damn, I wish I could find that link Sad
Ok... here it is [WARNING FOR PAUL ... DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK!] Tongue

http://www.infowars.com/the-impending-ec...ey-rawles/

It's towards the end that he talks about then net being unplugged.

Paah, bacon!
Thanks for the link 'BOB'.
I had already found JWR.
Some of his thinking's can get a bit extreme if not totally wacky.

The reason for highlighting the "switch" story was I've always been afear of a "Skynet" type scenario where the internet becomes 'self aware'.
Up to a few years ago, internationally, it was easy to dump the internet by just killing off a few international hubs BUT now satellite systems have taken over a huge amount of the transmission load, I didn't think it possible.
So up pops the God of the internet and makes a stunning statement like he has and I've got to wonder if he knows something but isn't allowed to say what.
As for the internet going down?
I'm not worried as my bookshelf is full of downloaded 'stuff' regarding self help, prepping, survivalism, first aid, and the like.
I'd just miss chatting to everyone.
Still I'd get to play a heck of a lot more Freecell!

p.s. I don't actually hate bacon. Between bread it's lovely.
I just dislike radio hams for interfering with my radio activities.

6 September 2012, 10:13,
JWR used to be a highly respected class act, his novel Patriots is a true work of litary art, but he lost the plot and became nowt more than a religous zealot and gun nut. His second novel Survivors is total garbage and on almost every bloody page he uses the storyline to ram religion down the readers throats, Survivors is one of only about 4 books I threw out rather than add to my collection.
His forum / blog is quite good but the best most well written and informative articles are written by a gentleman called Ken.

6 September 2012, 11:50,
The Uk internet has a kill switch, know this for a fact as worked for BT for a couple of years after finishing university.

As most ISPs get their internet through BT wholesale (they own the wires , doesn't matter who you get the phone/internet from) -unless you have Virgin fibre or Hull's KC fibre- can simply be cut off by them using one of their systems.

Usually it's only used to take down exchanges so that repairs can be made, but do it to the six main nodes of the telecoms system and it's goodnight (last time someone took out a node was October 2010).

Would take about ten- fifteen minutes to black out UK if "necessary"
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
6 September 2012, 12:08,
The UK yes sort of, you've still not completely killed the satellites though.
Then the rest of the world just carries on as normal as do the dongle brigade and them using satellites like they do in remote uninhabited parts of the UK i.e. London!!!!!!!!
The Chinese tried to do the same with the "RED WALL" but failed miserably.
Russia I believe monkey's round occasionally too.

I'm thinking that although countries may have a local kill switch, total knock out?
I'd like to think no BUT you never know.

6 September 2012, 14:17,
(6 September 2012, 12:08)Paul Wrote: The UK yes sort of, you've still not completely killed the satellites though.
Then the rest of the world just carries on as normal as do the dongle brigade and them using satellites like they do in remote uninhabited parts of the UK i.e. London!!!!!!!!
The Chinese tried to do the same with the "RED WALL" but failed miserably.
Russia I believe monkey's round occasionally too.

I'm thinking that although countries may have a local kill switch, total knock out?
I'd like to think no BUT you never know.

Good point Paul, but if goverment has control of hard wired connections, its a pretty safe bet taht they have full control of all satalite activities. Maybe not our own giovernment but a government somewhere will have a control switch that they can activate on comms satalites launched from their juristictions..

Much in the same way as sat nav can be knocked out or misaligned by TPTB whenever they want.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 September 2012, 18:11,
Satellites use phone lines as upload links. So by cutting the internet you can't transmit so how do you continue your conversion or web search.

The best you will get is dial up into BBS or a very small internet and that can be cut off by cutting the phone system off.

Perhaps we need to develop a system using radios as nodes.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 September 2012, 19:05,
wells theoretically there is no off switch, but reality is different Tongue

TPTB can turn off eleccy, killing computers, or cut the internets foreign connections, wiping out 99.99% of the web for us, but there are always ways around such things, using mobiles etc. been done before, can be done again Smile

if the government wanted, they could kill it, but it would mess up a whole bunch of other shit as well Tongue so short of a big disaster/"security" breech, no chance Tongue