Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying shop bought arrows
12 September 2012, 13:18,
RE: Modifying shop bought arrows
i've got a new bow string to fit a 48inch bow...surplus to requirements...if anyone wants it send me a pm.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 September 2012, 13:29,
My finding are thus, the modified arrow has much greater penetration than the original training arrow by about 50%, But its not as accurate I can get 4 to 5 inch groups with the training arrow as bought but I'm getting up to 8 or 9 inch groups with the modified arrows.
Still good enough for PA security duty though !!! Smile

However I also tried using my arrows from my recurve bow which are Easton Blues XX75 alloy1816 arrows, these come with heavier alloy target points which are nicely sharp, that are inserted into the arrow shaft rather than slid over, and these worked superbly. They appear faster and more accurate because they are lighter and more streamlined. The blues penetration was superior to the training arrows but slightly inferior ( not by much) to the modified arrows, but much more accurate.

Weight wise the
Eastons are 23 grams
Petron Fibreglass are 33 grams
and the modified arrows are 36 grams

So the ready made middle price arrows appear to offer the best all round package of speed, quality, accuracy and penetration

12 September 2012, 13:38,
NorthernRaider Wrote: Not pics of the process but of the end result
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/7979249079/
Thanks thats easier to follow what you did.

(12 September 2012, 13:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: My finding are thus, the modified arrow .. is not as accurate
I was worried this might happen.
If the new head isn't perfectly centered or is every so slighlty wonky it will pull the arrow off true.

Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
12 September 2012, 13:44,
Yeah it would still take a man sized target at 30 yards but the modicications definately slightly destabilise the arrow affecting its accuracy.

Posting summary as new thread for brevity.

12 September 2012, 14:09,
You're still more accurate with your modified arrows than I am with my shop-bought ones Big Grin
12 September 2012, 14:35,
Practise Sir, lots n lots of practise and I'm still missing more than I'm hitting.

13 September 2012, 11:18,
i bought a couple of old wooden bows at a house clearance sale, nothing special..almost look like kids bows..no strings...only 38 inches long couldnt get a shop bow string for it so i improvised...used some waxed cord i bought in the market-most of a large spool for 50p...i am surprised at how powerful these are...not quite finished but they would make good "survival " bows..being shorter are easier to hide and they use shorter arrows.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 September 2012, 13:32,
(12 September 2012, 14:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Practise, lots n lots of practise
I know, it's a perishable skill.
It's just a struggle to find the time.

24 September 2012, 17:57, (This post was last modified: 24 September 2012, 18:11 by Skean Dhude.)
any wants a decent shop bought point on their arrows may i recommend the following: http://www.archery-centre.co.uk they supply BODKINS these are special armour(as in knights armour not battle tanks)piercing points, they sell them at £1.80 each plus p&p. they are 1.75 inches long.
24 September 2012, 18:45,
(13 September 2012, 13:32)Skvez Wrote:
(12 September 2012, 14:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Practise, lots n lots of practise
I know, it's a perishable skill.
It's just a struggle to find the time.

Bloodywell find time we cant afford to lose any more archiving experts. Smile