RE: Quick help please check my maths
I dont thinkl they do that type of point any smaller, but ta for the suggestion

12 September 2012, 08:53,
Im amazed by the price of arrows,
12 September 2012, 08:57,
(12 September 2012, 08:53)Metroyeti Wrote: Im amazed by the price of arrows,

Depends what you want? i buy bog basic Armex wooden arrows for £12.79 +p&p!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 September 2012, 09:50,
(12 September 2012, 08:53)Metroyeti Wrote: Im amazed by the price of arrows,

I was til I gave it some thought, they have to be safe first and formost,then consistant, then durable, then accurate, so paying 3 to 5 quid per decent arrow tailored to your own size and type of bow is not so bad, The target arrows I am playing with are about £12 to £15 for 5 which again is not bad. I just dont know why compound bows are not supposed to fire ordinary arrows?

The pricier arrows are the ultra light carbon arrows used by compound bow hunters and the heavy duty aluminium arrows with screw in points that you can fit broadheads to.

12 September 2012, 10:26,
(12 September 2012, 09:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: I just dont know why compound bows are not supposed to fire ordinary arrows?

From Wikipedia:
Quote:Due to the greater forces that a compound bow places on an arrow than a recurve bow, wooden arrows may break when shot from a compound bow, possibly driving a broken arrow shaft into an archer's arm, or the arrow may shatter because of the higher acceleration forces applied to it during release. Hence, wooden arrows, that would be entirely safe with a recurve bow, are inherently dangerous to use with a compound bow. Likewise, lighter weight arrows of aluminum or carbon composite materials, that would be safe to use with a compound bow, are unsafe to use with a recurve bow.

Although to be honest that sounds more like an issue with bow power rather than compound/'normal' per-se.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
12 September 2012, 10:45, (This post was last modified: 12 September 2012, 11:10 by NorthernRaider.)
Agreed i mean these compounds we are playing with are only 25 lb draw, and the cheapo arrows supplied with em say they can be used in compounds up to 40 lb, I'll play safe and void the wooden ones for now.
NR
OK I've made 5 arrows out of the glass fibre cheapo target arrows, I cut off the point of the target head but left the chrome body of it still in place IE I only cut off the pointy bit not the whole target head.

I then ran an 8 mm drill bit inside the 5/16 parallel field heads about 12 mm to remove the threading.

I lightly sanded the remaining target arrow head to provide a course surface for the expoxy.

I then mixed a small amount of Araldite rapid and coated the roughed up surface then slip on the drilled out field target heads, I ensured they were flush fitted and temporarily secured them in place to allow the expoxy to set.

Bingo A very sharp, very pointy steel field head attached to a budget arrow.

I'll try em out later and let you know how they perform from the Banshee.

12 September 2012, 15:18,
Know doubt you remember Fishponds? Chap demonstrated long bow, hand made from Hornbeam if I remember and arrows hand made from birch.

If you cannot find birch wood that is straight enough, consider using willow wands or wild rose shoots.

Just the thought that post SHTF it will be easier make your own bow & arrow that can be quickly replace from your surroundings than trying to smelt and make metal tip.

Think in Earth Abides they hammered dimes for arrow heads?

(12 September 2012, 08:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: I dont thinkl they do that type of point any smaller, but ta for the suggestion

12 September 2012, 18:23,
Hazel is meant to be good for arrows, possibly ash well I know they used it for spears.