Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water preserver.
3 September 2011, 20:04,
Water preserver.
Hi,

Time ago I saw on YouTube a Water preserver concentrate product used to store water for a minimum of 5 years and still be safe to drink.

I have not seen this for sale in UK but from the US,this is the link for eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Preserve...2261wt_689

I have water already in storage but thinking on getting few water cans(25/35 litres) for peace of mind and with this preserver have at least 5 years No worries.

Rafael

3 September 2011, 20:52,
RE: Water preserver.
The water we have has been around for billions of years and I wonder if putting chemicals in it is actually worth it when we can simply refilter it and/or boil it when we need it.

I'm not a lover of putting chemicals in my body if I can help it. This is one where I think I don't need to.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 September 2011, 23:27,
hi skean is right just filter and boil for 5mins or 10mins if water is bad and watch where you store it
waters havey and does not like light
to win the war, you must be willing to die
4 September 2011, 10:25,
(3 September 2011, 23:27)grumpy old man Wrote: waters havey and does not like light

Yet we put it in the sun to sterilise it and then store it to a dark place. I have two 5L bottles that has been in the greenhouse for 3 years now. I'm going to test one when I get some cash. To see if it is drinkable. Although the bottle does have a green tinge.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 September 2011, 01:58,
i think ?
it is the uv light that sterilise like the pens you can buy and the sun's rays and just being warm makes algee grow
i think like a steam that is small fast flowing and been filter though the ground would be safer because the uv rays can go through the stream to the bottom it is moving fast so it's cold and passes through the ground to the water table.
where as a deeper lake that does not move won't let the uv light go to the bottom kill the bacterea and with it being still and the sun's rays beating down the temp rise's and allows bacterea to grow
i am not too sure i could be wrong
but still filter and boil for 10 mins and drink if it taste flat pour from one cup to another a few times to oxegnate the water it wil taste a little better it works i'am still alive
to win the war, you must be willing to die
5 September 2011, 11:10,
I would avoid chemicals as well.

Except H2O is a chemical. Smile Bugger.

The stuff on sale appears to be simply chlorine as used at your local swimming baths.

But if you have to you can protect water by simply putting in some bleach. It kills everything in the water and although it gives an aftertaste it is not harmful. A lot cheaper than chlorine imported from the US.
That bird house was a legitimate expense.
5 September 2011, 17:24,
How long are we talking about storing water for anyway?
Given that we need a few liters a day and it weights 1kg/Litre I'm not storing 5 years worth of water!

To store a months water I just need to put it in clean 2L drinks bottles. If I keep it in the dark it's good for 6 months. If I boil the water first it's good for a year.
Chemicles slowly leech out of the plastic bottle into the water (thats why bottled water has a use by date). Just empty and re-fill every 6 months.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
22 September 2011, 10:47,
Hi all, new member here.

My thoughts on water storage are pretty much what has been mentioned above. I store around 50 - 60 litres in bottles and water carriers etc which will get me over any short term problems and it is fairly simple to throw away and refill every few months.

For longer problems I have a British Berkfeld gravity filter (around £80 - £100 for the SS2 with candles) which will quite happily filter water from my butts.

Going by various estimates a family of 4 could need 20 Litres and more per day just for drinking, storing enough for even a month would take a fair bit of space and weigh a fair bit too if you were looking at storing it in bottles. A few water butts and a decent filter solve the problem for me. Depending what filter candles you buy they can filter 10,000 litres with no drop in the levels of filtration and they are cheap enough to have a few put by as well

JD
22 September 2011, 11:26,
Why can't we just have a number of empty containers, bottles etc. on hand and fill these when the things start to get bad. The obvious risk with this is that an event occurs before you can fill your storage containers, but perhaps a compromise might be best - a limited amount in storage and extra bottles / containers on hand.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
22 September 2011, 14:45,
JD1, Welcome.

Brian,

Like everything else it is what is best for you. I have plenty of space so I have a lot of water stored plus some bottles. I also have water butts and collection capability. As my intention is to not be seen I don't want to spend time collecting and filtering water, it shows that I have things. I'll just stay inside and drink from the stores.
Skean Dhude