Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water preserver.
24 October 2011, 17:29,
RE: Water preserver.
(22 September 2011, 11:26)Brian Wrote: Why can't we just have a number of empty containers, bottles etc. on hand and fill these when the things start to get bad. The obvious risk with this is that an event occurs before you can fill your storage containers, but perhaps a compromise might be best - a limited amount in storage and extra bottles / containers on hand.
Brian
this is my philosophy too Brian, but i also have got a LifeSaver water purifier bottle as well, just to give me a second option .
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 October 2011, 13:28,
In the order of survival priorities apart from immediate physical injury water is number 1 on the list that's why in a BO scenario my choice of location is determined by the access to a good source of water. But, to give me flexibility, I have a store of bottled water and a few containers for last minute fill-up and go.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
26 October 2011, 09:36,
I use a British Berkfield filter with spare sets of filter candles, but I also keep roughly 6 or 7 large plastic camping water containers ( about 30 litres each) which I fill up every time I detect some issue or event that may affect us. I have kept water in camping water containers for 2.1/2 years untreated in my garage, The water tasted slightly flat was was fine otherwise. The knack is to keep it cool and out of the sun.

19 November 2011, 16:25,
What about them water tablets?will they purifi a running river if there is dead animals up stream ?

And what about sea water ,Loads of that stuff about ,whats the best way to purifi sea water ,can you get tablets for this
Watch your six
14 December 2011, 08:53,
I might be able to offer bit more to this thread, about a month+ ago I changed over my stored water, these were 220litre brown food grade butts.

The water had been stored in these for 3 years just over and not disturbed at all, on inspection the water was very clean and at the bottom of the barrel there was a very tiny amount of a white powder almost chalky this would have weighed less the half a gram if all was collected, not much at all. (no idea what it was)

On first taste it was like drinking air from glass, like nothing.

After doing the shake which is recommended to re oxygenates the water, it was water taste again and no ill effects 3 of us drank a litre each, there was no need to filter or boil.
14 December 2011, 09:52, (This post was last modified: 14 December 2011, 09:55 by NorthernRaider.)
(19 November 2011, 16:25)Twoesme Wrote: And what about sea water ,Loads of that stuff about ,whats the best way to purifi sea water ,can you get tablets for this

No, reverse osmosis and evaporation are your only choices I know.

(14 December 2011, 08:53)WetandCold Wrote: The water had been stored in these for 3 years just over and not disturbed at all, on inspection the water was very clean and at the bottom of the barrel there was a very tiny amount of a white powder almost chalky this would have weighed less the half a gram if all was collected, not much at all. (no idea what it was)

Prolly chalk if your in a chalky area settling out or a minor sediment but normally its likely to be aluminium sulphate settling out (I think) used by water companys to give the water a clear polished finish.

14 December 2011, 14:28,
I wouldn't bother with empty bottles in case you can't get the time to fill them. Fill them now and store them. they take up the same space although heavier. You can always empty and replace if you have a concern about the quality on a regular basis but I just don't see the benefit of empty bottles even if they are intended for other uses. You can't have too much water.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin