Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rechargable Battery Issue
8 September 2012, 07:30,
Rechargable Battery Issue
I have literally hundreds of batteries of all shapes and sizes, whenever I am in a shop and I see them on offer I buy them, especially the packs of duracell you often see in places like B&Q and i'm also building up my stock of Lithium batteries.

Anyways, I bought some Energizer AA Rechargables the other day and thought I would test them in various bits of kit to see how long they lasted after a full charge. What I found was that they didn't fit approximately 50% of the kit I tried to use them in, they were just very fractionally too wide to fit together in the battery compartment.

It appears that in the appliances where the fit is very tight, in this instance a tv remote control, a battery powered lamp, and a cheap radio, they just wont fit. I didnt want to force them too much as most of the battery compartments are just made from potentially brittle plastic.

I dont know if this is common knowledge and i am just a bit slow on the uptake, but I thought i would mention it incase others have a store of rechargables they plan on using after an event - check that they fit the device you want to use them in before an event

Live and learn I suppose, anyone know if this problem is common to all brands of rechargables ? I hadn't noticed a problem before but that was with some cheapo brands
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
8 September 2012, 07:41,
RE: Rechargable Battery Issue
Know what you mean.
Some NiMh cells I own only have tiny positive end caps. They just don't stick out enough for a couple of my PMR sets. Simple to modify though with a twist of the pliers in the radio but annoying.
My mini maglites had problems too. Some cells are fractionally too wide so I ended up stripping off the plastic outer sheath. That's all it took although it's a hard shake to get the cells out!
It seems that AA or AAA isn't quite the standard size it used to be.

8 September 2012, 09:12,
Many high end AA batteries are purposely designed to be as close to the outer limits of the size standards so they do not rattle around in tactical flashlights, radios, fire arms lasers etc. Energize actually produce a PDF for the specs of all their batteries. I only but Energiser lithiums and Duracell ultras when they are on offer.

8 September 2012, 11:00,
I can honestly say I have never had this problem, didn't know such a problem existed but I will be checking that the batteries fit in my torches, so thanks for info, Smile