Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
14 September 2012, 05:37, (This post was last modified: 14 September 2012, 05:51 by Hrusai.)
RE: Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
dont think sugar has been mentioned Smile brown or white, long as its stored properly it should last fine as long as 10 years storage is nice and easy, air tight jar or some such, opaque usually being best to avoid degradation by light, but depending on where you store it that may not be an issue...personally im more partial to brown sugar, and it seems to degrade slower than white Smile

we've got salt and honey already, i'd also add vodka and pure spirits, beer not so much, but most spirits should be fine...and many will taste better with time ^^

i'd also add apple cider vinegar which has a variety of other uses on top of simple food

also baking soda, which as we've heard in other threads can be used to make toothpaste!

pretty much anything in cans....you can buy air tight containers of coffee beans or instant coffee as well, which will both last a long time!...tea bags as well, which have been mentioned...the best ones are the ones that come in foil rolls

also hard boiled sweets, just keep away from moisture and store in airtight opaque containers as well

we've also got powdered milk and also condensed milk (which im sure you know can make quite the tasty treat, if you boil it in the can you get dolce le leche, which is lovely and can be used to make some nice treats, which will boost you morale no end!)

ramen noodles are also great, had some the other day that were about 5-10 years old and they were surprisingly nice!

also dried herbs and spices are meant to store for a long time!

coconut oil! lasts for ages and is rather useful Smile

i'll leave where to get these things upto you, but any good supermarket will have all of them!

as for grains and beans heres a list i found

Hard Grains:

Buckwheat
Dry Corn
Kamut
Hard Red Wheat
Soft White Wheat
Millet
Durum wheat
Spelt

Soft grains:

Barley,
Oat Groats,
Quinoa
Rye

Beans:

Pinto Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Lima Beans
Adzuki Beans
Garbanzo Beans
Mung Beans
Black Turtle Beans
Blackeye Beans
oh and i forgot to add my personal favourite!

cup o soups! only 50p for 4 of them from morrisons i think, 300 calories per serving, taste great, easy to make, and depending on which you buy, very filling (i find chicken noodle fills me up significantly more than say tomato)...plus they can pretty much last indefintely Smile like most dry foods Big Grin....oh and the packaging them come in is great Big Grin...and if you want them to take up less space, just plonk them in a different container (have also been toying with the idea of attempting to make my own, but i may have to make a dehydrator xD...not that its hard mind)