Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
13 September 2012, 17:01,
RE: Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
Skvez, pm sent.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
13 September 2012, 17:31,
I am somewhat hesitant on building up loads of tinned food, as you cannot reuse the tins. It falls too close to the idea of just buying at load of stuff instead of learning skills. I would rather get loads of used jars off Ebay, and learn to preserve my own produce, or transfer additional tinned goods to jars.
I'm thinking longterm, because jars will last for ages, can be reused, and by the time they break, agrarian lifestyle would mean produce is stored with other methods, like drying, or root cellars.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
13 September 2012, 17:43,
Ok guys I get the message this is at least the fourth thread i have started trying to deal with specific issues and each time it get derailed or redirected onto other issues, if I try talking about compounds you guy go on about anything but compounds, if I talk about specific groceries you guys go onto canning issue, american lists and anything but the subject matter.
I admit defeat and give up, its your forum you lot can start the threads I'm fed up trying to make progress.
NR

13 September 2012, 17:49,
Sorry NR,

Were you wanting us to post things like:

I prep uncle bens rice because it comes in a foil package and typically keeps 18 months.
It also only requires 10 minutes to cook (rather than the typical 25 to 30 for rice) and so should save on fuel issues.
Although a little more expensive than the cheepest rice available I think the longer storage and shorter cooking times are worth the extra cost.

Is this the sort of post you want in this thread?
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
13 September 2012, 18:04,
Hey Skvez old chap you are a moderator, please close my acount.
Respects NR

13 September 2012, 18:17,
Sorry for going off topic
Things like bags of sacks of rice and beans have a printed best before of around two years. I think this is just a legal catch-all to absolve the company of any legal issues with regards to expired goods. I think you could get away with judging yourself, by checking for odd smells, visible mould etc.
You should only plan to store brown rice for 6 months, viewing anything beyond that as a bonus, as the fats mean it spoils faster.
White rice is better for storage, though it lacks in nutrition. Isolate it from air, and keep moisture and temperature low, and you can expect it to last 8-10 years.
I buy rice in the largest containers I can get. I got 5kg plastic sacks from Lidls, and can get bags of mixed beans from the Market stalls near me.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
13 September 2012, 18:30, (This post was last modified: 13 September 2012, 18:32 by Melissa15.)
Tea bags, the typhoo I have is bbe 2015, the box has 4 individual foil bags of 50 tea bags.

Pickled cabbage, chillies, peppers, tomatoes, onions, beetroot etc (in glass jars for Tibbs) I bought some recently all with dates 2014/15/16.

Other tinned fish rather than tuna, sardines, mackerel, pilchards
and I got the tinned fish (425g for 99p or less) and the cabbage etc (all for a pound or less) from b & m stores. Rosspa has similar things
13 September 2012, 19:04,
SALT
Buy as much as you can
http://www.shortersclub.co.uk/products/2...125kg.aspx
£3.44 for 12.5kg, its cheap now, but once processed food is gone, people use salt for preserving, salt will become extremely valuable in areas away from the coast. You need it to live.
HONEY
It's thought that the last traces of humanity will be nuclear waste and intact glass jars of honey. It's also good for pouring into wounds, to float up debris. It also draws water out of bacteria killing them.
13 September 2012, 19:05, (This post was last modified: 13 September 2012, 19:22 by Prepaday.)
Whitworhs powdered semolina, comes in a pack, not heavy, Semolina is a coarse pale-yellow flour ground from hard durum wheat and used to make traditional pasta. It can also be used to make pizza, bread and biscuit doughs as well as gnocchi. The term also refers to a British milk pudding, in which semolina is cooked slowly in milk and sweetened with sugar. This dish is served topped with a spoonful of honey, jam or fresh or dried fruit.
Eggs stored in their original carton can last 4 to 5 weeks beyond the packing date, which is marked either on the egg or the carton. To keep longer, break each egg, lightly whisk and freeze each one in an ice cube tray. When frozen, release the egg cubes into a freezer bag. They can be used in baking and cooking up to a year from the freezing date. I have heard (never tried) eggs can be stored for a long time if placed in a black bucket full of sand, Apples can supposedly be stored in sand for ages also, not sure about a year though at least 6 months.
13 September 2012, 21:58,
nr buy yourself a de-hydrator from lakelands and you can prep loads of stuff fruit veg , i am getting one next wednesday i will try it out and post the result. ( check out yt vids )