Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the-post-collapse-realities-of-your-survival-location
16 September 2012, 20:45,
the-post-collapse-realities-of-your-survival-location
found this, if you haven't already read it, its worth a read....

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2012/09/16/...-location/
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
16 September 2012, 21:32,
RE: the-post-collapse-realities-of-your-survival-location
Interesting but just parrots what the forum has said all along.
In a city, there is no defence so look to bugging out before it's too late.

Problem is the city will eventually come to those already bugged out,
and they may be better armed than you are so you may still have to bug out.

Sort of bugging out of the bug out. Big Grin

There's a common theme here i.e. bugging out. Undecided
The article (like so many others) doesn't answer the meaning of life problem though.

Just where do you bug out to that's safe? Huh

16 September 2012, 22:43,
Again I'll refer to Selco, who lived "bugged in" WROL, without preps, no water/electricity/food distribution, gangs ruling the streets and shelling from a surrounding army... for a year.
Not saying it would be easy or safe, but it is possible to survive in an urban environment post-SHTF if you're not too unfortunately located (ie not on a main road or next door to tescos lol).

Plus having a pre defined BOL isn't a cheap scenario if you want to do it properly. And if you don't own the BOL you're likely to be bugging out to a more dangerous situation than staying at home.
My plan is to spend that money on bulking my (greyman) home security, with only a last resort bug out plan.
17 September 2012, 06:06,
Im hoping to bug in. if I have to bug out I have a few locations, but im going to break into these bol,if things get really bad im stealing a boat, see anyone sneaking up on me in plenty of time
17 September 2012, 06:31,
(16 September 2012, 22:43)HunterNurturer Wrote: Again I'll refer to Selco, who lived "bugged in" WROL, without preps, no water/electricity/food distribution, gangs ruling the streets and shelling from a surrounding army... for a year.
Not saying it would be easy or safe, but it is possible to survive in an urban environment post-SHTF if you're not too unfortunately located (ie not on a main road or next door to tescos lol).

Plus having a pre defined BOL isn't a cheap scenario if you want to do it properly. And if you don't own the BOL you're likely to be bugging out to a more dangerous situation than staying at home.
My plan is to spend that money on bulking my (greyman) home security, with only a last resort bug out plan.

I wonder how many other Selco-type persons tried the same tactic as him, and how many survived to tell the tale.

he may be just one lucky guy, fore he certainly wasn't a prepper ahead of the events that overtook him.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

17 September 2012, 19:33,
(17 September 2012, 06:06)Metroyeti Wrote: Im hoping to bug in. if I have to bug out I have a few locations, but im going to break into these bol,if things get really bad im stealing a boat, see anyone sneaking up on me in plenty of time

This is a good point, once SHTF you could expect there to be many more abandoned houses whose attics would make good temporary BOLs if you had to get out and get safe quick

(17 September 2012, 06:31)Lightspeed Wrote: [quote='HunterNurturer' pid='25115' dateline='1347831782']
I wonder how many other Selco-type persons tried the same tactic as him, and how many survived to tell the tale.

he may be just one lucky guy, fore he certainly wasn't a prepper ahead of the events that overtook him.

Well it was during the Balkan wars, so there's a good number of people who did live through it. Many will have turned to gangs etc. and not bugged in but I'd imagine there's still a bunch around. He had an interesting interview/article from a woman who went through it too, that he only met more recently. She was alone with her mother and children and must've gone through hell.

But it does say that after his experience his plan would now be to GTFO ASAP and go to a relatively self-sufficient rural village where he has family ties.
17 September 2012, 21:20, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2012, 21:21 by Lightspeed.)
(17 September 2012, 19:33)HunterNurturer Wrote:
(17 September 2012, 06:06)Metroyeti Wrote: Im hoping to bug in. if I have to bug out I have a few locations, but im going to break into these bol,if things get really bad im stealing a boat, see anyone sneaking up on me in plenty of time

This is a good point, once SHTF you could expect there to be many more abandoned houses whose attics would make good temporary BOLs if you had to get out and get safe quick

(17 September 2012, 06:31)Lightspeed Wrote:
(16 September 2012, 22:43)HunterNurturer Wrote: I wonder how many other Selco-type persons tried the same tactic as him, and how many survived to tell the tale.

Well it was during the Balkan wars, so there's a good number of people who did live through it. Many will have turned to gangs etc. and not bugged in but I'd imagine there's still a bunch around. He had an interesting interview/article from a woman who went through it too, that he only met more recently. She was alone with her mother and children and must've gone through hell.

But it does say that after his experience his plan would now be to GTFO ASAP and go to a relatively self-sufficient rural village where he has family ties.

I think you'll find taht most of the people who survived the Balkan crisis did exactly that. ie GTFO ASAP and go to a relatively self-sufficient rural village where he has family ties.

For sure Sarajevo was no place to try and Bug in, and trying to move around the citty was a receipe fore disaster as there was more tan one "sniper alley".

Poor people :-(
(17 September 2012, 21:20)Lightspeed Wrote:

(17 September 2012, 06:31)Lightspeed Wrote: [quote='HunterNurturer' pid='25115' dateline='1347831782']

I think you'll find taht most of the people who survived the Balkan crisis did exactly that. ie GTFO ASAP and go to a relatively self-sufficient rural village where he has family ties.

For sure Sarajevo was no place to try and Bug in, and trying to move around the citty was a receipe fore disaster as there was more tan one "sniper alley".

(17 September 2012, 19:33)HunterNurturer Wrote: [quote='Metroyeti' pid='25118' dateline='1347858369']
Im hoping to bug in. if I have to bug out I have a few locations, but im going to break into these bol,if things get really bad im stealing a boat, see anyone sneaking up on me in plenty of time

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 September 2012, 08:49,
If you are wondering where your replies went, its cos you wrote your replies INSIDE your already posted quote box, this causes the whole thing to vanish, to view what HN and LS wrote click on the reply button on each post.