Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Difference Duct Tape Makes..... Or How I Learned to Love the Bomb
19 September 2012, 22:09,
The Difference Duct Tape Makes..... Or How I Learned to Love the Bomb
I've been investigating pyrotechnics for purely entertainment purposes. After going through a few concoctions I've decided that flash powder is best, both in terms of report and the accompanying flash.

So, you need:

Aluminium blackhead powder - fine mesh
potassium perchlorate - fine powdered. (PLEASE - Don't use potassium chlorate - very unstable)
1 second fuse - chinese fuse is spot on.
Digital scales
small container (for now)
duct tape

So, I was doing a demo for the MSG on pyros, I made 2 versions to show the difference a little duct tape makes.

First one,
- Measure out 3 grams alu and place it on a sheet of paper
- measure out 7 grams of potassium perchlorate and add this to the paper.
- fold the paper in half, and "swill" the two powders together. Be careful not to spill any or get too much on your skin.
- make a hole big enough to get the powder and fuse in the container
- Carefully pour the mixture into the container. I used a childs ball pit ball - as I've got hundreds of the things.
- poke plenty of fuse in through the hole

Then go and put it in a safe place, making sure you're not going to damage anything. It's not my fault if you don't use common sense and hurt yourself.

Light the fuse and step back.

The result? You get a nice spray / fountain of sparks, but that's about it unfortunately.

Second one,
Repeat the steps above, but when you have the fuse in place, wrap the ball in duct tape, making sure the surface is completely covered.

Again, put it somewhere away from everything. This stuff isn't for children or idiots - so take the necessary precautions. If you don't know what they are then you shouldn't be attempting this.

So, light the fuse, and stand well back. further than you did last time.

What happens? One hell of a loud explosion - enough so that you can feel a blast wave at about 15 / 20 foot. AND - it scare the living daylights out of your neighbors.

So, ten grams is quite a small amount. I've not attempted any more than that, as to be honest I think doubling the weight and setting it off would probably give enough of a shockwave to take my fence down (I've only got a little garden).

25 grams of the mixture set off, without the compression of a container, will explode due to the pressure exerted on it just from the air.

100 grams? Doesn't bear thinking about.

Hobbyist pyrotechnics is completely legal, as long as you are not storing the combined chemicals (it'd be pretty stupid anyway) and don't make more than 100 grams.

BE SAFE
19 September 2012, 22:18, (This post was last modified: 19 September 2012, 22:19 by Hrusai.)
RE: The Difference Duct Tape Makes..... Or How I Learned to Love the Bomb
good to see a fellow pyro and duct tape enthusiast! the duct tape is acting in the same way that french bangers do, a small amount of powder contained in a small space forces it to explode quicker and more violently in a given direction, hence the bigger explosion, i do love my flash powder, always makes a nice mushroom cloud of smoke Big Grin i just get it from fireworks myself, 9 times out of 10 if you find pure white powder in them, its flash powder, light a small amount to check, if its bright, leaves lots of white residue and makes that mushroom cloud, however small the pile is, its probably flash powder Smile

ill send you something interesting binary Smile
when i find it that is lol
19 September 2012, 22:24,
(19 September 2012, 22:18)Hrusai Wrote: good to see a fellow pyro and duct tape enthusiast! the duct tape is acting in the same way that french bangers do, a small amount of powder contained in a small space forces it to explode quicker and more violently in a given direction, hence the bigger explosion, i do love my flash powder, always makes a nice mushroom cloud of smoke Big Grin i just get it from fireworks myself, 9 times out of 10 if you find pure white powder in them, its flash powder, light a small amount to check, if its bright, leaves lots of white residue and makes that mushroom cloud, however small the pile is, its probably flash powder Smile

ill send you something interesting binary Smile
when i find it that is lol

Ha - good to know chap!

Been debating about posting that on there for ages - especially after last time when I posted drunk and blatantly incriminated myself for various infractions Wink

All above board this time though - scared the bejesus out of the MSG. And the rest of the neighborhood.

19 September 2012, 22:31,
well feel free to privately share any of your "experiments" with me Smile ill always appreciate them Big Grin

ive managed to make explosions with nothing but some deoderant a lighter and my trousers (that had a hole in)...was bloody funny lol and yes, i was wearing the trousers when i blew them up xD

hah, posting drunk can lead to all sorts of "interesting" results lol, made that mistake a few times xD

i didnt know that any amateur pyrotechnics was legal myself, so its good to know, will have to look into the subject a bit more and start to do more proper pyro experiments, rather than half arsed bodged stuff that i used to be famous at school for xD
19 September 2012, 22:42,
Mixing chemicals like many things is perfectly legal. Still get you arrested though if you don't keep your head down.

I've several books on the subject which will be posted when I get around to it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 September 2012, 13:59,
My favourite manual
Every little boys dream manual
US IMPROVISED MUNITIONS HANDBOOK
http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/june2007/imhv3.pdf