Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwest Campout Thingy
20 September 2012, 19:54,
RE: Southwest Campout Thingy
Dartmoors a bit further away but still ok, I dont think they allow fires though even if you are wild camping which could be a bit of an issue if it is going to be in the winter.
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
20 September 2012, 20:01,
Could take a spade and practice those "underground" fires. Can't remember what they are called.
20 September 2012, 20:46,
(20 September 2012, 20:01)Dorset Lad Wrote: Could take a spade and practice those "underground" fires. Can't remember what they are called.

is it a "yucon fire"?
20 September 2012, 20:53,
Dakota I think.

Might not be a good idea as there is a lot of peat on dartmoor. Although I doubt it would be too much of a problem in the winter I expect the rangers might not see it the same way. Been a long time since I was down there though so maybe the rules/bylaws have changed

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
20 September 2012, 21:03,
Not getting caught would be a good exercise in op sec. If we get caught we need more practice! Failing that, does anyone have any other ideas for a location?
20 September 2012, 21:11,
You could use something like this which i imagine would be ok

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tripod-b...-99-374486

I haven't got one but I know a bloke who does, its a lot bigger than the photo makes it look

20 September 2012, 21:17,
Dakota was the word I was trying to think of.
Somewhere fairly central to us all would be best but I'm not sure how we would find where that would be let alone finding a site in that area.
21 September 2012, 00:13,
great to have more people on board Big Grin

well theres a bunch of places in my area that would be great, just random tucked away clearings near rivers waterfalls and such like, all of them are on private land, but no one goes there Smile...im also trying to talk to some friends who are landowners to see if they mind letting me camp on their land, but i dont think they will mind, just need to get in touch with them Smile

personally i dont think major areas like dartmoor or the new forest or anywhere like that would be good, lots of wandering walkers and as you said rangers walking about, would be better to initially meet up in an enviroment where we wouldnt have to worry about being there, maybe for another meet we could practise our low profile camping, but i think for this one lets just keep it simple, after all its mostly about meeting eachother Big Grin

and yeah dakota fire pits the one Smile if memory serves nemesis posted a good thread on them, showing some he built, surprisingly low profile i must admit, despite knowing how they work i expected alot more light than they appeared to give off Smile
21 September 2012, 10:50,
I'm well up for this.

Oddly enough, I got kicked off a forum for going camping in the winter. It was actually great fun, and contrary to popular belief, I'm not dead!!! So it's a win win.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 September 2012, 12:38,
open fires are not allowed on Dartmoor but a gas cylinder is OK, wild camping is not so much not allowed more that it is generally ignored by the rangers, mind you you're not allowed to drive more than 50ft off the roads would put some people off the idea.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.