Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grouping together
21 September 2012, 09:06,
RE: Grouping together
i favour the Amish principle, everyone lives seperately in their own place but come together in times of need, barn building, harvesting etc.etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 September 2012, 09:20, (This post was last modified: 21 September 2012, 09:26 by NorthernRaider.)
(21 September 2012, 09:06)bigpaul Wrote: i favour the Amish principle, everyone lives seperately in their own place but come together in times of need, barn building, harvesting etc.etc.

Yes BP thats a good analogy, the Amish come together for barn raising, crop gathering, well digging etc but live independent lives.

Theres an excellent example of independant living but communal effort at the Findhorn Eco village, The middle class Transition towners and Sustainable communities types have both the will and funds to be willing and able to move to such places, but most of us preppers are immobile.

Theres a few sustainable community housing schemes going on up here and they are attracting people to come together to refurbish houses and go eco with it.
I would add that I spent over 6 years researching and checking out where i felt it would be the best affordable and sustainable place to live here in southern Co Durham and I cant find anywhere better on the UK mainland. I was lucky it was not family or job or other obligations that made me move here it was 99.9% survivalism concerns that made me move here. Some folks simply have romantic and rose tinted views of where best to set up home and they often fall after close inspection.
(21 September 2012, 07:07)T-oddity Wrote: I'm very much into the permaculture scene and as such have seriously considered becoming part of a community to try and get away from the money orientated dog eat dog commercial world that we live in today. such communities are quite difficult to establish, local authorities and central government try all sorts of bureaucratic crap to restrict these communities from developing, also if the SHTF these places would soon be over run.

Theres a very active permaculture/ sustainable homes / transition network around here, I believe one bunch is just starting off a housing project on Tyneside, food groups, communal farms, green energy groups, off - gridders are bloody everywhere around here.

21 September 2012, 09:45,
The Amish way of life is a good example of a supportive community and as I've already said the permaculture community life style is what I'd like to achieve, but how well will these types of communities stand up to serious social unrest, I'd like to achieve a balance between living sustainably and being prepared for what is just over the horizon.
21 September 2012, 09:53,
(21 September 2012, 09:45)T-oddity Wrote: The Amish way of life is a good example of a supportive community and as I've already said the permaculture community life style is what I'd like to achieve, but how well will these types of communities stand up to serious social unrest, I'd like to achieve a balance between living sustainably and being prepared for what is just over the horizon.

My kind of joined up thinking, and that of many on this forum.

21 September 2012, 10:28,
It comes back to the idea that people are willing to dedicate to such efforts of getting together often enough.

Speaking of which, I think it's a good idea the Bristol Preppers had another get together soon.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 September 2012, 21:06,
me and my housemate would definately be interested as we are looking to move soon
1 October 2012, 11:33,
Too much risk and politics would be my first thought. We all have probably looked across a huge amount of blogs, forums and websites, I am sure everyone would agree that not all those people that you come across seemed 'balanced'

What if as I suspect there is a falling out in the group and someone tells all of the location? Or speaks to the press etc.
1 October 2012, 11:55,
immediately post-fall it will be every ONE or every FAMILY for themselves, only later when all the dust has settled will we even contemplate contacting "strangers"!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 October 2012, 12:29,
(1 October 2012, 11:33)Biter Wrote: Too much risk and politics would be my first thought. We all have probably looked across a huge amount of blogs, forums and websites, I am sure everyone would agree that not all those people that you come across seemed 'balanced'

What if as I suspect there is a falling out in the group and someone tells all of the location? Or speaks to the press etc.

which is why picking good people is the hardest task!

luckily i believe everyone on this site is more than trustworthy enough, and all well enough versed in opsec to know that even if theres a falling out, theres no point ruining a potential group BOL its just reducing your own options for when the stinky stuff goes flying ^^
1 October 2012, 22:10,
The only grouping I want together is when I zero in my scopes. Wink
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue