Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grouping together
10 October 2012, 17:54,
RE: Grouping together
(8 October 2012, 13:27)BeardyMan Wrote: Where's the engine on that boat? Wink

Two auxiliary engines down below, both are 160HP/216Kw Daewoo MD136 6 cylinder diesels. She can crack 10 knots under power, we have had 12 knots under sail. Wink
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
6 February 2024, 20:05,
The only way to go, but getting the "right people" that's the ball game. I believe creating a small holding of say 3 acres room for orchard 1acre garden and room for selected livestock IE chickens goats ducks etc. that size smallholding would be defendable by say 10 to 12 dedicated people. as to building I suggest building hobbit type dwellings, that would be pretty quick in a communall build. But lets see where this goes.
8 February 2024, 22:27,
Most of us can't afford that so are preparing in different ways. If I had the cash I'd do what you suggest.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 February 2024, 16:45,
Do you all know of The Woodlander on Youtube? Check out his channel and the link below, basically he's trying to help like minded folk by raising money to buy plots of land around the UK, I personally haven't become a member yet, have no affiliation etc, just passing on information.

https://woodlanderinitiative.co.uk/
10 February 2024, 13:55,
I'd never join a club like that. I prefer to build my own relationships. All you need is one bad apple and the area you are living in is compromised. Not everyone can be trusted and many start out with good intentions and get corrupted by the dark side.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 February 2024, 20:05,
Small holding ?, Self Sufficiency by John Seymour shows how to do things.

Even using dynamite to remove a tree stump.
10 February 2024, 20:58,
"I'd never join a club like that. I prefer to build my own relationships. All you need is one bad apple and the area you are living in is compromised. Not everyone can be trusted and many start out with good intentions and get corrupted by the dark side."

I totally get where you are coming from, the wife a I have been to a couple of prepping meets over the past few years, most are like minded, know of this Great Reset plan etc so building an off grid community is something that comes up, my wife asked one guy what does he do now, his reply were little as possible. She said to me, fancy saying that, would we/anyone want him in their community?

The problem is that history proves that we need others to survive, we need to be in a 'tribe' of sorts because even if you are a master at all the skills needed, if you become sick or injured, it's pretty much game over.
12 February 2024, 17:57,
I was more open when I started but when we were discussing prepping his prep was a handgun and knowledge of where we lived. That kind of killed our local group. I know a couple of people that I'm happy with here but the thought is never far from my mind.
Skean Dhude
12 February 2024, 21:45,
I have never discussed prepping with anyone, other than on this site, nore has anyone ever seen any preps, the only
thing on show are the solar panels on the shed, which I could easily sheet over, to hide them from strangers.

If things do go pear shape there are a couple of friends we would help as they would help us (they have in the past).
Family are too far away unless there is warning time.
13 February 2024, 21:11,
At one of the weekend prepping meets I exchanged emails with 3 different like minded people who I got on well with, none have bothered replying to my last email that I sent. I don't get it, even like minded people can't seem to be bothered/want to know at the end of the day.

They are miles away in other counties anyway, in a real SHTF situation, you need to be local to each other really hey.