Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
car
23 September 2012, 23:07, (This post was last modified: 23 September 2012, 23:13 by Scythe13.)
RE: car
For space saving, I'd actually do with maximum redundancy and a 'vital for life' list.

If a solar flare knocks everything out, for example, then you have to get home. Prior to the flare you can easily drop caches in places you know along the route home, if you're following a common journey. When finances allow, I'll be doing this.

If you plan to bug in (at home) and you're caught out in your car 100 miles away, then figure what you need to have to get home. Stimulants (caffeine tablets to stay awake), high calorie foods, and that kind of thing. You need to be warm and dry. You need water, or a way to purify water. Shelter and a way to stay dry, and you're good to go.
(23 September 2012, 23:05)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(23 September 2012, 23:00)Scythe13 Wrote: you could quite reasonably shift 25 miles a day...walking! With a bit of running too, you'd be looking at more like 30 miles.

Bollocks, moving tactically with a loaded bug out bag the average prepper would be very lucky to do ten miles in a good nights walking, more likely five if you move by day.
Then if you add women, kids, perhaps grand parents or toddlers you soon end up under 5 miles on a good day.

Fair point. I'm just thinking of myself and the misses. We'd be running most the time anyway. She can easily punch out a marathon and is training for ultra marathons (the proper 100 miles runs)....yes she's much faster than me over those kinds of distances. And I'm not thinking of moving tactically. I'm thinking of just having the normal size pack I run with, then just halling ass. Also, not a full BOB. I'm considering my condensed GHB.

So, I think BP has a very good point there.
Really sorry NR, I just called you BP.
If you want to move tactically, with a full BOB and all that, then I'd screw it all off and take a big knife and just mug people along the route home for whatever provisions you need. Don't need to worry about catching them if you're alone. They'll only be travelling 5 miles a day.
That was a bit of a sick joke, even for me.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 September 2012, 23:22,
I love it when people talk about putting caches along a route. Where exactly are you going to store these caches?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 September 2012, 23:33, (This post was last modified: 23 September 2012, 23:33 by Scythe13.)
(23 September 2012, 23:22)Skean Dhude Wrote: I love it when people talk about putting caches along a route. Where exactly are you going to store these caches?

Items. A bit of food, change of boxers/socks, batteries, small torch, and a med kit. Can be nicely small. But where to cache them is, rightly, a bit tricky.

I always think placing them near a bridge by a road and pretending your car has broken down while you dig a few feet down, is a pretty good place. You have a landmark to go with to make it easier to find. But I'd much rather go off the beaten trail a bit and mark it on a map.

You could even find a graveyard and use a plot from there, but that's quite sick and twisted.
Also, I'd highly recommend not relying on these, as there is no guarantee they'll be there when you go to find them.
24 September 2012, 00:09,
(23 September 2012, 23:33)Scythe13 Wrote: I'd highly recommend not relying on these, as there is no guarantee they'll be there when you go to find them.

Well why don't you give it a go. Check up on a regular basis and see what happens. I would guess that 1% won't make it on a public road.

Myself I'd look for something a bit more secure.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 September 2012, 00:13,
I personally really like this bag
http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreatio...-Only.aspx

Having said that, I have my GHB as being:http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-MULE.aspx

The Mule bag I have is much smaller, but I intend to really shift home as quick as possible. Screw tactical movement and all that. As I figure it, 85+% of people will be so busy trying to figure out what's going on, that for the first 24-36 hours, pretty much all movement will be pretty simple. But that still leaves the 15% to watch out for. I'll start off by grabbing my bag and getting out of wherever I am (probably a motorway) then just running along the smaller A roads. Most people will mistake me for a guy out for a casual run, and will assume I don't realise what's happened.

I like the idea of having a bike with me, but that's probably not going to be a good thing if my boss decides to come out with me for the day haha.